Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyson signs up for K-1 fight

Tokyo — Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson will make his K-1 fighting debut this summer, the sport's organizers said on their official website.

“After many months of negotiation with Tyson and his representatives, we signed a contract on April 11,” K-1 event producer Sadaharu Tanikawa is quoted as saying.

K-1 combines elements of kickboxing, karate and tae kwon do.

Financial details of the contract were not disclosed, nor was Tyson's opponent for the bout, which organizers said will be on or around July 31.

Organizers had originally planned to hold the bout in Japan, where K-1 is hugely popular. But because of difficulties in getting Tyson a visa for Japan, the bout will be held at an American venue.

Former NFL lineman Bob Sapp, who has made a name for himself in K-1, has been mentioned as a possible opponent for Tyson. The two had a heated exchange at a K-1 bout in Las Vegas last year.
But do you guys think that with Mike signing for K1 that we won't see him boxing anymore or is this only a little short term trip away from boxing?

Also with Mike having a $100m lawsuit against Don King and with King now in control of all the heavyweight belt holders (Brewster, Byrd and Ruiz) except Klitschko/Sanders , I can't see Mike get a shot a world title if he proceeds with the case against King so maybe Tyson will experiement with other fight sports to get some money.

I dunno but I fear a bit for Iron Mike. K 1 seems real intensive and for more agile guys with their kicks etc. It'd probably be better for Mike to go into wrestling if he wants to earn a quick buck.

D

·
0 Posts
I heard he's signed with a company who was subsidary of K1 and that they would be promoting his boxing fights.:confused:

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strange indeed :confused:

BTW I was reading a bit about Matt Skelton. I've never seen him but read he's already like 37 :dazed: but undefeated and has k1 experience which in his opinion is rougher. Do you think that he's better than Audley and that he'd be able to topple any of the current heavyweight champs?

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know for sure what Tyson will be doing?

cos I read that he's going to fight Kevin MacBride on the 31st of July. Will that be his K1 opponent or will he box against him? :confused:

MacBrides only known opponent was Axel Schulz btw and Kevin got knocked out by him in 9 back in 97.

D

·
0 Posts
Tyson is boxing against McBride i think.

Regarding Skelton, he's the heavyweight version of Mayorga, superstrong but no talent at all.

Audley would prob beat him just by taking the fight onto the cards.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
Tyson is boxing against McBride i think.

Regarding Skelton, he's the heavyweight version of Mayorga, superstrong but no talent at all.

Audley would prob beat him just by taking the fight onto the cards.
IMO his strength is overrated. Not being able to put down Julius is testament of this. He rather grinds down his opponents wheras with a bit more accuracy Mayorga has one punch KO power.

D

·
0 Posts
Julius used the chicken slap defense against Skelton, fighting like a girl to throw him off. Had he been able to land one clean shot to the fairy's chin, it would have been lights out.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Tyson had the power,the young tyson could knock out anyone. K1 im not so sure look what happened against Lewis. The guys in K1 are tough motherf'. I hope hes taking this seriously.

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:howler:

Britains Danny Williams is apparantly being lined up to fight Tyson next instead of the Irish lad. Should be a walkover if iron Mike is in any shape, but after that a fight between Tyson and Tarver or Joe Mesi is being lined up :eek:

·
Registered
59,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mikes fighting DAnny Williams in Kentucky on Friday night. Heard it on sky sports news. Heard the ticket sales haven't been good so I guesss they'll be handed out for free :eek:
Should be over in one round or do any of you guys expect a longer fight?

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
This is a sad way to end such an impressive carrer. Tyson said he lost his passion and that he was only boxing for money. I wish he would have retired a few years ago before the Lewis fight. :(

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
tyson should have finished him off 1 or second round...after the 1st, i was thinking 'williams is going DOWN'..but all credit to him, he improved so much after the bell...

i felt tyson was a bit carefree, arrogant if you wish...maybe he wanted to prolong the fight to get some fight practice..was it him who said he needed 6 fights or so to get back to his best??

who watched laila ali and numez? womens boxing is so lame

1 - 20 of 34 Posts