Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Villarreal CF may sign the American player Jozy Altidore, 18 years old, from New York Red Bull for 10M €. In any case, Villarreal plan to extend their cooperation with Recreativo and the player will probably be loaned to the Andalusian club, where other Villarreal players like Cazorla and Cáceres triumphed.

Altidore scored 3 goals and gave 1 assist in the 8 games he played this season with his club. Besides, he's one of the faces of Adidas in the USA and one of the idols of the MSL.

Aside Altidore, Villarreal are about to close the signing of the Uruguayan Robert Flores from River Montevideo. He's a 22 year old playmaker that is known for skills facing the defenders and a good goal scoring rate. He will be loaned to Recre too.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/1a_division/villarreal/es/desarrollo/1131118.html

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
I heard it was somewhere around US$10M, not 10M €.

It seems a bit much, but this kid is America's best talent, possibly even better than Freddy Adu. He is a powerful striker and has proven himself as a rising star in his time in the MLS as well as the U20 World Cup, where he was instrumental in helping the US reach the Quarter Final. This is the right move for Jozy. Although Villarreal are automatically qualified for the CL next year, there is going to be less pressure on him than some of the other teams in Spain and room for him to develop. Here's hoping to success. :thumbsup:

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Naervod. I remember him from that WC and I liked him. 10M will be a lot or not depending on his developement.

I also think he made a good move going to Villarreal. A good club that trust in talent and he'll have one year of experience in Recreativo before, where he'll get the minutes he needs to know La Liga. This is somethig Villarreal do quite well, IMO.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Interesting signings but i was hoping for a buit more from Villarreal this summer and actually have a good go at the champions league.

·
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
7,425 Posts
Congrats on getting him, he is the most talented prospect the US has right now. Anyone that saw the Under 20 world cup last year knows he is class.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Oh ya , hell be ur drogba or an overgrown saha. I can see him getting 12-18 goals a yr.........

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
rossi and him top should be a deadly comdo..lighting and thunder!

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Altidore addresses pending move to Villarreal

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker)

—During a news conference prior to his New York Red Bulls’ 1-0 victory over Chivas USA on Thursday, Jozy Altidore finally addressed his pending move from MLS to Spain’s La Liga.

MLS on Wednesday reached an agreement on a transfer fee of approximately $10 million to send the forward to Villarreal.

Altidore, who did not play for the Red Bulls in Thursday’s triumph due to a sprained left ankle, first must agree to personal terms with Villarreal and pass a physical before the deal becomes complete.

Villarreal was Altidore’s top choice over other Europeans clubs such as Reading in the English Premier League.

“I chose to be there because it is a very good league,” Altidore said. “To me, I think it is second only to the Premier League. It has a lot of respect and I like the way they play the game there. I think it will be a good place for me to further develop my game.”

The 18-year-old Altidore has three goals and one assist this season for New York.

Altidore said he first was aware of Villarreal’s interest in January.

“Their interest grew more and more and, fortunately for me, it was during a time when I was playing some of my better soccer,” he said.

Altidore’s imminent departure leaves the Red Bulls with a huge void in their lineup.

“For us there is nothing I can say,” New York head coach Juan Carlos Osorio said. “I was notified by the MLS that they agreed on a transfer fee and there is little we can do now except concentrate on what’s best for our club moving forward.”

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
hes a good kid with some cockiness.U need some cockiness when u are moving to europe and playing in a better league

·
94,480 Posts
hes a good kid with some cockiness.U need some cockiness when u are moving to europe and playing in a better league
U can always use cockiness, not just in Europe ...but even in the crappy MLS ... :dielaugh:

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Roig: Altidore Signing Is Like Gasol For The Lakers
Fernando Roig, the president of Villarreal, confirmed that both Jozy Altidore and Robert Flores will join the club next season.
Roig is delighted with the signing of 18-year-old Altidore in particular, and he compared the American striker with Spanish basketball player Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Flores ,22, has helped Uruguayan minnows River Plate reach the final of the Clausura Championship, where they will meet Penarol in the decider on Sunday.

Villarreal, who finished in second place of La Liga last season, are expected to reinforce their squad with lots of quality in the off-season as they prepare to make an impact in the UEFA Champions League, a competition in which they reached the semi-final stage in the 2005/06 season.

"Both players are our first signings, and they enter into our new project that focuses on future prospects for the team," Roig said.

The Villarreal president praised Altidore, a player who joined Villarreal from Red Bull New York of MLS for a record fee of $US10 million.

"He is a great signing," Roig said. "Similar to that of Gasol who joined the Los Angeles Lakers. If any other team had signed him it would have been much more spectacular. But he is ours."

In respect to Uruguayan midfielder Flores, he said: "He is a player who has proved his undisputed quality in the league where he plays at."

According to reports both youngsters are likely to be loaned out to other La Liga clubs, with the aim of gaining some valuable experience before returning to El Madrigal.

·
94,480 Posts
Amost the same with a littlw twist ...

Villarreal agree to sign forwards Altidore and Flores

MADRID, June 7 (Reuters) -

Villarreal have agreed to sign United States striker Jozy Altidore and Uruguay forward Robert Flores, the Primera Liga club said.

Altidore, 18, moves from the New York Red Bulls for a reported fee of some $10 million which would be a record paid for a Major League Soccer (MLS) player. He has scored 18 goals in 36 starts in the MLS.

“This signing is big news. It’s like when Pau Gasol signed for the Los Angeles Lakers in basketball. If he had been signed by another team the story would be all over the place, but he is ours,” Villarreal president Fernando Roig was quoted as saying by Spanish media on Saturday.

Flores, 22, moves from Uruguay’s River Plate where he impressed last season with three goals in 13 games.

Villarreal also said midfielder Bruno Soriano had agreed a four-year contract extension until 2012.

The east-coast club finished second in the Primera Liga last season to earn automatic qualification for the Champions League.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Jozy Altidore y Robert Flores, nuevos fichajes del Villarreal CF

Big congratulations on capturing Jozy, he's a talented player and finishes quite well. I really liked him during the U20 World Cup in South Korea and he continued to show potential after that as well. Robert Flores is pretty good as well, haven't seen him as much as Jozy, but enough to make a proper judgement on the way he plays.

Roig is really building a great squad here.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts