Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 1521 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in crisis for some time now, and it seems Rijkaard can't find the way out. We all knew that we are changing the coach this summer, but the fuse is obviously too short and the bomb will explode sooner. Many names have been mentioned, but the one that started circling around today caught my attention -Josep Guardiola Sala our B team coach.

I know him as a club legend in the 90's, was Barca's captain for 4 years, a living legend and an Catalonian hero. He played as a defensive midfielder, a role that by it self suggest leadership and work ethics. Currently he's doing a good job with Barca B, playing the 'Barca system' and knowing the club very well.

The word is, that with another Rijkaards failure, Guardiola might take over. I actually really like the idea as it brings the continuation of Barcelona's philosophy and we can be sure that in future La Masia's products will find their space in first team. The problem is, that i don't know much about Pep personally. How is he characteristically? What kind of coach is he? Can he be the solution? I surely do hope so, as i prefer him much more then varius Mourinho's, Lippi's, Laudrop's... His low experience is not a problem for me, just remember Rijkaard's experience at start.

The only treat I see is, if he takes over now a run of bad results might cut him too... before he could change anything. That would be a waste and might be damaging to his career.

What do you guys think? Can the solution come from within?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Yes, IMO the solution can come from within.

We need a rational coach and a motivated squad, and with the talent we have, it should be enough.

If we can hire Rijkaard, who if I'm not mistaken managed to get some team relegated in the Eredivisie (Sparta?) and allowed Jaap Stam to take a penalty kick for the NT :eek: , then why not give Pep the helm? He doesn't do drugs, he appears sane, knows the Club inside out, he can pull it off.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Ver para creer.

This is like the time we brought Van Gaal back for a second go around.

I'm sorry. But your club is in crisis and the one you want to solve it is a manager who has never coached in first division anywhere.....ever.

How can people be against Mourinho and be for, with all apologies, someone with no managerial experience of any importance so far. In 5 years, yeah, sure, if he evolves correctly. But don't you think that to be the manager of one of the top clubs in Europe you should prove yourself as a manager first. As a player, no arguments, wonderful player. But being a manager and being a player are two different things and one doesn't pre-ordain you to be successful at the other.

No way, no how.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
What has Rijkaard done prior to his job in Barcelona to prove himself as manager?
He was at least a manager of a first division team and a national team in a high prestige/pressure competition.

What has Pep managed. Chupa-Chups cup round of 16??

Jeeebuz Chrizt am i the only one who thinks this is a crazy/desperate idea?????

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
He was at least a manager of a first division team and a national team in a high prestige/pressure competition.

Well, like I mentioned, I THINK he managed to relegate a team in Holland and sucked heavily in the NT. You can make me manager of whatever NT you want, it doesn't make me a decent one.

Chupa-Chups is a highly appreciated competition, show respect.

btw desperate times call for desperate measures.

how about

Slaven Bilić? What do you think of him? (I'm serious now)

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,936 Posts
Wait ...
Chupa-Chups is actually the name of the competition?? I though that was a joke and was actually LMAO.
:confused:

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Wait ...
Chupa-Chups is actually the name of the competition?? I though that was a joke and was actually LMAO.
:confused:
I think it IS a joke, I've never heard of the competition. I laughed as well

but then again, there are leagues called Coca Cola, Turbo league, Schwepes probably as well so why not Chupa Chups. Sounds nice, funky.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a risk, of course. But sometimes you have to draw some bold and risky decisions, to get the maximum out of it. Personally I don't know enough about Guardiola, and I'm not defending him as a first choice. My post was originally meant to get a discussion started and to receive some more info on Pep.

·
Registered
9,029 Posts

CM, I'm with you on this one. As much as I love and respect Pep I can't see how he will turn things around in only 8 jornadas left of the league. This is a desperate move imo and I'm afraid a failure can harm Pep's future career as coach for years. Let him continue with the young ones in Barcelona B and promote them to Segunda B.

For god sake Laporta, don't do it, it will be a huge mistake. Let Rijkaard continue for the rest of the season, and then sign a new coach who ever it will be.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Guardiola will be a good coach and he will do a good job for barca in the future but to hire him now or for the next season could be a bg failure for him and for the club and it could close the door for josip for the future...

I would go for a proven coach and there is just Mourinho and Lippi avaliable at the moment.
I know Koeman has done a bad job so far with Valencia but if someone from the dream team should become our coach than it should be him.
His record apart from Valencia isnt that bad!

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,936 Posts
Guardiola will be a good coach and he will do a good job for barca in the future but to hire him now or for the next season could be a bg failure for him and for the club and it could close the door for josip for the future...

I would go for a proven coach and there is just Mourinho and Lippi avaliable at the moment.
I know Koeman has done a bad job so far with Valencia but if someone from the dream team should become our coach than it should be him.
His record apart from Valencia isnt that bad!
:wallbang::wallbang: How about Ronaldinho for manager ? He can't play much now , he just might smile all the way to the Liga trophy.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I think it would be very good to have Ronaldinho as manager.

The only downside is, we wouldn't have any training sessions, not even in theory. They'd do some "gym work" all the time. So how would they prepare themselves physically to be able to put in 110% every week?

Other than that, spot on.

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
I'm with this Saphan guy and CarlosMiguel I'm off your bandwagon. You disappointed me. How can this guy Saphan be wrong, an avid supporter of Olimpija and Barcelona, we've already seen this lethal combination and it must only mean, that the guy knows what is he talking about.

I'm for Pep. It's time to do some bald and risky decisions. There's no profit where's no risk.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
:wallbang::wallbang: How about Ronaldinho for manager ? He can't play much now , he just might smile all the way to the Liga trophy.
Come on, to compare a true professional a la Koeman with Ronaldinho is a bit unfair.
He isnt doing that good with Valencia but he is improving and he leaded them to the Copa del Rey final.

I dont say that he would be the best decision, but if someone from the dream team should be considered as a future coach, Koeman should be always the number 1 choice.

He has done a good job with PSV, Ajax and Benfica and maybe he can win la Copa with Valencia. I would judge him at Valencia at the end of next season.

·
In Exile
5,398 Posts
Taking Pep, it will give continuity of Barcelona's Entorn.

In a way I'm afraid about our cantera. I just can see Mourinho getting some 5 Portuguese players and Drogba, Lampard, Terry from Chelsea and turn our cantera in a deadend street like Madrid's.

I'm for Pep. Let's risk it. And as we say in Balkans, when you risk it, risk it big. We say in Balkans, if you wan't some fireworks for birthday party, be a man, don't use crackers, use nuclear bomb. Let's do it! We say in Balkans too (when talking about politics and assigning people to different public offices): "It doesn't matter what are the candidate's qualifications, what matters is that he's our man".

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I'm for Pep. Let's risk it. And as we say in Balkans, when you risk it, risk it big. We say in Balkans, if you wan't some fireworks for birthday party, be a man, don't use crackers, use nuclear bomb. Let's do it! We say in Balkans too (when talking about politics and assigning people to different public offices): "It doesn't matter what are the candidate's qualifications, what matters is that he's our man".
:howler:

And he's not joking, people.

:shades:

1 - 20 of 1521 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.