·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spanish sensation who left Zidane in awe

Spanish sensation who left Zidane in awe
By Graham Hunter, Evening Standard, in Spain
28 January 2004

On what turned out to be a long and painful night in November last year for Real Madrid, Zinedine Zidane turned to his marker Juan Redondo, while Sevilla were in the process of humiliating the Spanish giants 4-1.

The world's best footballer pointed at the man who is set to become Arsenal's record signing, Jose Reyes, and asked: "Is that bar steward playing like this just because it is us?"

Redondo remembers: "Zidane was moaning about whether Reyes was going past Real's defenders on a motorbike which he couldn't see - that was the absurd type of game Jose was having.

"The runs he was making and the way he was cutting past Pavon - none of that was 'normal'.

"At Sevilla we knew before that night that he was truly extraordinary - but it seems he surprised the rest of the world."

And that is what all the fuss is about at Arsenal.

This tough little country boy from the depths of Andalusia, whose accent most people outside a 20-mile radius of his home village have difficulty in understanding, is already established as a footballer of international significance.

If you needed to make catch-all description of Arsenal's new boy it would be talent by Michael Owen and savoir-faire by Wayne Rooney.

He is almost the finished article on the pitch and rough as a Scouser scally off it.

Reyes is Seville from the tips of his lucratively sponsored Kelme training shoes to the sparkle of the ever-present gypsy jewellery he wears.

Bling-Bling? You ain't seen nothing yet.

This is the boy who yesterday regretted not that he didn't have time to say cheerio to 'the fans' but that he hadn't had time to meet with and explain what was happening to 'the Biris'.

Typically of Reyes the 'Biris' are the hard-line 'Ultras' - Sevilla fans who you wouldn't wish to meet in a dark alley in the city centre on a Saturday night.

Yesterday, during the press conferences held by Sevilla President Jose Maria del Nido and by Reyes himself, these 'Biris' flocked to the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium.

They started banging on the doors and windows for all they were worth just to register their disgust at the impending marriage of Reyes and Arsenal.

Little wonder the hard men were hurt - their idol-cum-pal not only had a recently signed contract until 2010 but Reyes and Sevilla had agreed that the specified buy-out clause in that contract would be set at 100million euros!

If Arsène Wenger's claim that the initial payment was a mere £10m had reached Spain sufficiently quickly yesterday afternoon, David Dein would still be in hiding in the UK Consulate in Seville and the Sanchez Pizjuan would have been torn down brick by brick.

Reyes would have walked out of the rubble like Popeye after a can of spinach, however.

When his medical takes place today and tomorrow in London he'll probably pass with flying colours but the doctors will find a multi-coloured symphony of cuts and bruises on the 20 year old's legs.

In his last three seasons there have been 283 fouls given for the various assaults masquerading as tackles which La Liga's defenders used to stop Reyes.

What Highbury is about to enjoy is a player who gets the ball, runs at defenders and shoots to score.

Old style, old school. Despite the fact that the fouls on him have been so severe this season that one in three tackles on Reyes have resulted in either a booking or a red card for the opponent the country boy just gets up, dusts himself off and sets out to cause more trouble.

"When I go down it is not theatre its for real" he says, which will be a welcome dose of realism in comparison to the antics of United's Cristiano Ronaldo.

"The defenders give you stick and say nothing while doing it so I pick myself up off the grass and, next time, give them one back.

"Does it hurt? Yes, sometimes it hurts like a bar steward - I'm not made of industrial rubber.

"But this is football and whatever you give or get on the pitch everything-is forgotten after the match." Not that the Reyes maxim was proven true a couple of seasons ago when he was the most famous victim of on-the-pitch-fellatio in Spanish football history - at least during a game.

It was another fantastic four-goal fiesta for Sevilla, this time against Valladolid, which Reyes capped with a mazy 40-metre run and clever finish past Ricardo Felipe.

Slightly overcome, Francisco Gallardo leaned into the pile of bodies on the grass as Reyes' goal was celebrated in more traditional fashion and, er, buried his head in an unusual area.

Regarding the unusual treatment of his manhood Reyes merely confessed sheepishly: "I felt a bit of a pinch but I didn't realise what Gallardo had done until I saw the video.

"The worst thing about it is the teasing I'm getting from my teammates."

There will be goals galore for Highbury, Wenger and the rest of Reyes' new team mates now that this fantastic, tough little inside left has joined the Gunners.

But his development, his learning of English and his graduation to the North London glitterati represented by Messrs Pires, Vieira and Henry will be necessarily slow.

Davor Suker, once of Sevilla and once of Arsenal, says shrewdly: "Reyes is a rough diamond which needs to be polished and protected.

"I couldn't choose between him and Beckham in terms of talent.

"But I know that, if properly handled, Reyes can adapt to English football just like he could to any top level country because he is a little genius."

Just ask Zidane

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I just saw David Dein ot TV,he was talking about the 'biris' ,he reckons they were almost rioting and everyone at the club was getting very emotional :D

did you hear also that Reyes left his boots in Seville?

sounds like he is as dim as the stories suggest. ;)

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i read that too,

so touchy :D

i guess he is too young to move away from his homeland, but then again i am 20 too and i won't mind moving to a new place for fame , money, titles etc :D

yea yea..i am dreaming :)

Reyes, we'll make u feel like home
errr....not in a traditional spanish way ...but still :D

nEEb

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I'm surprised about the shock in Spain and England about the guy. Don't forget he's 20 years old and he's not going to to a 40-mt-run every match to score a brilliant goal.

The problem is that he has been paysk him ta super star and he's just a great prospect. Don't ask him to be the leader now. Give him time and he'll give you everything soon.

·
63,337 Posts
Koeman4 said:
I'm surprised about the shock in Spain and England about the guy. Don't forget he's 20 years old and he's not going to to a 40-mt-run every match to score a brilliant goal.

The problem is that he has been paysk him ta super star and he's just a great prospect. Don't ask him to be the leader now. Give him time and he'll give you everything soon.

don't worry the media will build him up and knock him down,that is the way our gutter press works.

most fans though will give him plenty of time,it took Robert Pires and Henry months to find their feet in the EPL,but the fans continued to back them.

as long as he fights hard and shows that he wants it,the fans will back him all year.:cool:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i agree with jern, the media will pound him if he doesnt score and make runs in his first game. At 20 years of age, you have to let him settle into a country which differs to his own. He has the goods, but you cant afford to over hype him even when we all know he will be a star in the future.

I keep on thinking about Ronaldo when he first joined united. They made him to like he was Maradona and when he wasnt performing as well as everyone liked, he copped a deluge of criticism.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
seriously my mouth is watering to see this kid in action. i mean with creative midfield, we can score heaps and heaps of goals. no more 4-0 games for us, we're going to stomp all the teams in the EPL :D

i really want to see this guy in action however i looked at my tv guide and they aint showing the man city match, so i want a DETAILED report on how this kid played!! but i am sure i will be watching the highlight show on tv

P.S welcome to the board nEEb

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for the welkom !

Yea dont worry i will post the detailed report of the arsenal/man city match.

I hope Reyes get the chance of playing in that match. I just read a few reports in which they said that FA and Spanish FA couldnt communicate well enough to decide the matter yet. So hopefully he might end up playing on Sunday. But its not confirmed yet coz TeamTalk.com actually deleted the story from their site after couple of hours of posting it.

Never mind.. its time to rock with the rock of Arsenal ;)

nEEbz

btw: its neebz , not neeb ...mis-typed :D

·
63,337 Posts
welcome neEbz :D

yes i read that as well,looks like Jose will be available,he starts training with the team today.

he will be unveiled today to the Press at Shenley at 14.30 GMT :cool:

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
he will be unveiled today to the Press at Shenley at 14.30 GMT
can someone upload this video? or give me a link to where i can watch this ??

i want to see unveiling of reyes and some training vids or something, anything please :(

·
63,337 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
can someone upload this video? or give me a link to where i can watch this ??

i want to see unveiling of reyes and some training vids or something, anything please :(
you will probably get pictures on the official site,Swift

Arse.com

i doubt you'll get the video unless you are a member of Arsenal PLUS though :(

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here we go : Jose Antonio Reyes

It might have turned out to be a shock to a lot of gooners, anti-gooners and wat-gooners but the Arsenal FC actually stepped into the transfer market. And not only stepped into it but came up with their record signing in their more than 100 year old history.
Jose Antonio Reyes (read ray-ez), a 20 year old Spaniard, is considered to be one of the most versatile and upcoming talents of the Spanish football. Many experts are considering him to be the next Raul for the Spanish football. His inconsistency has been pointed and similarly there might be many flaws in his game but the amount of money paid to make him wear an Arsenal shirt is not actually emphasizing how good a global player he is but actually how nicely he fits in the Arsenal jigsaw, the brain child of Arsene Wenger. Coaches and experts around the world won't pay 20 million for Reyes but they all know that this is the right amount of money if they had a team, game plan and game play like Arsenal.
The very first statement Wenger came up with after the signing of Reyes was that he got all the attributes which are important in fitting with the Arsenal's flow of the game and pace, one of the reasons Jeffers was a flop.
Reyes, might take sometime to settle in, especially because of the change of his personal life. Living in a country where you don’t understand the language of the native is extremely frustrating. I know many people who just don't tend to go to Germany, France etc to establish their careers just because of the foreign language. The language barrier has to be resolved soon as it turns out be extremely irritating when you feel so much like a dumb and stupid.
Lauren, Pires, Cesc, Edu and of course Wenger all can speak Spanish but relying on Spanish in an English-speaking country won't be good idea. They might sign an English tutor to him just like they did to Cesc.
I might tend to be quite over excited in this but I just get this sneaky feeling that he will one day become a superstar. Arsene's way of handling youngsters is fantastic and it’s this trust which makes me feel a little comfy. Getting a youngster at this age for such an amount of money is quite a risk. You can even end up spoiling the career of the subject.
History doesn't support us either, with not a single worthy enough Spanish performer in the EPL. Arsene's record is good and we all can say he is in safe hands. Let’s see where the show ends.
I had my firm feelings that Arsene would definitely go for a centre forward or more like a fox in the box , although that was against the dream footballing of Arsene but our under achievements in the Europe-level and our last season debacle of loosing the title, I thought this is it. Arsene might be needing game plan B, when nothing works, start throwing the balls in the box and let target man do the job. But a fortnight ago, Arsene again emphasized on his 'dream football' and 'ugly football'. He is against the idea of a target man who sits in box waits for the right touch for the right cross at the right time all the time. So? ... well that placed a lid on the transfers of Kluivert, Trezeguet etc.
1.5 million for Kluivert is literally nothing. I saw Kluivert's header in the match against
Atheltic Bilbao , few weeks back. It was something I couldn't expect from any of the Arsenal players.
But Arsene had other plans.
And especially after the Van Persie bid, the thought of getting Reyes almost vanished. I am not an expert and i haven’t seen Van Persie playing. But the qualities attributed to
Van Persie seems similar to Reyes, so I thought he would go for another bid. Arsene even declined to mention the qualities of Van Persie in the press conference after his disapproval at Feynoored's act of making the bid public but from no where Reyes came and now I strongly believe that Van Persie chapter is closed .
What next? Most probably Sebastian Frey. Frey says Arsene contacted him, Arsene says what contact. But as we know that Arsene usually keeps his transfers secret and there is no reason for Frey to come up with such a remark out of the blue. He has the talent and is considered to be one of the best goalkeepers in Serie A, so his next stop is definitely a big team. So I guess Arsene IS interested in him. Lehmann is doing perfect but we need a long term solution. Taylor has been doing good but it will take time for him to settle in, he has lot to prove yet. Shaaban frankly is not up to the standard (atleast that’s what I think) In that case Arsene will definitely try to secure the services of Frey in summer. Believe me Frey is no comparison with Shaaban and Taylor ( yet :D ).

Overall, ladies and gentlemen , sit tight on your seats. We are heading for a roller coaster ride.
Welcome To The Latest Gooner in Town, Jose Antonio Reyes. :)

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even the pictures would be enough.

It would be fanstastic to see Reyes holding up his shirt with Wenger.

I wonder what number he got.
Give him 94 .......u know .. a change in the footballing industry,
let Reyes be the trend setter :D

nEEbz

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
nEEbz said:
I wonder what number he got.
Give him 94 .......u know .. a change in the footballing industry,
let Reyes be the trend setter :D

nEEbz

EPL doesnt allow players to have a number more than 50...and the trend setting you are talking about is already exsist in Italy...

·
63,337 Posts
Narentino said:
EPL doesnt allow players to have a number more than 50...and the trend setting you are talking about is already exsist in Italy...
that can't be right,Cesc has number 57 and has played in the League Cup. :tongue:

how about Reyes being handed the legendary :star: 6 :star: ,would stop any defender having the pressure to wear it. :cool:

remember that's why Fred was giving the :star: 8 :star: so no centre forward had the pressure. :cool:

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
never mind, let him be the trend setter in EPL by having 50 as his number.

and in Europe ?

God Willing, his performance would be the trend setter
:)

neeBZ

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
One more Article on the newcomer sensation

JOSE ANTONIO REYES is better than Michael Owen and can help Arsenal become the most feared club in the world.

That is the amazing verdict of Real Madrid defender Ivan Helguera, who rates the Gunners’ new £20million pocket rocket as one of Europe’s most exciting talents.

Reyes, 20, eclipsed David Beckham and the rest of Los Galacticos when he played against Real Madrid last year.

And Spain international stalwart Helguera is gutted that the whizkid chose a switch to Highbury rather than a move across Spain to the Bernabeu.

Helguera is cut-up mainly because he now reckons Real must — at all costs — avoid Arsene Wenger’s own band of superstars if they are to win the Champions League.

Helguera, 28, was on the receiving end when Reyes helped Seville slaughter Real 4-1 last November.

And the 32-cap star sighed: “Reyes was a Galactico in the making because, let’s face it, he’s got absolutely everything as a footballer.

“His dribbling and speed on the ball makes life hell for defenders.

“Personally, I think he is a better player than Michael Owen.

“Reyes has been Madrid-quality for ages, he’s a brilliant talent.

“This is one of the best players Spain has produced and it would be better for Madrid to harvest our own young talent than to go looking for it abroad.”

Helguera’s sour-grapes outburst came in total contrast to the more measured approach of Bolton’s Ivan Campo.

The defender, once a darling of the Bernabeu, is now a huge fan of English football after switching to the Reebok in August 2002.

He believes the Premiership is BETTER and SEXIER than La Liga — and predicts that Reyes’ arrival is very much the shape of things to come, that the Premiership will continue to gobble up all the best talent in Spain.

After helping the Trotters book their place in the Carling Cup final on Tuesday night Campo, 29, blasted: “Reyes has made the right choice. England is the place to be.

“Before I came here, I preferred Spanish football but now I know that England is better.

“The Premiership has gained power and potential every month I’ve been here and, compared to Spanish football, it is like a wonderland.

“Reyes is going to discover England has a fantastic championship.

“Compared to what he has left behind, he’s going to find the fans are much more enthusiastic. There is a better atmosphere — and, best of all, the fans cry when their teams lose.”

Campo, however, did sound one note of caution. He added: “Spanish football is having a huge impact on England because of its quality.

“But now Reyes needs to totally disconnect from his Spanish lifestyle in order to connect with the English people and their lifestyle.

“For a young man on his first time away from home it’s going to be difficult because he’s going to have to throw away all his customs.”

Campo was quickly proved right when it emerged 5ft 9in Reyes burst into TEARS on Tuesday as he left his parents and girlfriend Remedios for the first time at Seville Airport before jetting off to London.

Campo, though, reckons the three-cap wonderboy will be all right. He added: “Reyes has all the luck in the world.

“Arsenal is the right club for him because they will care for him, educate him and look after him well.

“I accept he’s gone to the right place, although I wish he had signed for Bolton! He’s going to walk in the door at Highbury as Arsenal’s record signing and feeling like the star of Seville.

“But at Arsenal he’s in with the heavyweights, so he needs to start punching his weight as soon as possible.

“My prediction is he will not be ‘just one more player’ — he can go straight into the first-team.

“But he needs to quickly demonstrate why Arsenal spent a great deal, to prove he is a Spanish international.

“I don’t think signing Reyes means Arsenal will win the Champions League. But it proves that manager Wenger is building an important team to wage war on Manchester United.

“However, Real have so much more experience in the Champions League that I don’t believe this is Arsenal’s time.”

Gunner Giovanni van Bronckhorst, currently on loan at Barcelona, is not so sure.

The 31-cap Dutch midfielder, 28, crowed: “We’ve signed a fantastic player with great talent.

“He will fit really well with the Arsenal style of play simply because he’s a great footballer already.

“It’s obvious Reyes will add great power to the Arsenal front line.”

Meanwhile Reyes’ new Spanish team-mate Francesc ‘Cesc’ Fabregas, a six-month veteran at Highbury aged 16, gave his own piece of advice for the Gunners’ new-boy.

The midfielder, who snubbed Barcelona for a career at Highbury, said: “The most important thing is to learn English as quickly as possible in order to integrate with the team.

“The club will do as they did with me and give him a private language tutor.”

Former Real Madrid and Barcelona boss Raddy Antic is the new manager of Arsenal’s Champions League second-round opponents Celta Vigo, who are struggling near the foot of La Liga.
The Gunners face Celta in Spain on February 24 and play the second leg at Highbury on March

·
Registered
66 Posts
Reyes looks the real deal

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I just hope that he is not another hyped youngster.
Wish him best of luck and look forward to see him.
The runs he was making and the way he was cutting past Pavon - none of that was 'normal'
Are you sure? I bet you Reyes grandma could make circles around Pavon.:D

1 - 20 of 77 Posts