1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(3-5-5)

vs

(8-1-4)

We need to build on our 5-0 destruction of Levante by beating Villareal on Sunday evening. Classy playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme is struggling to be fit for this game after suffering an injury in training therefore joining Sebastian Battaglia, Roger and Javier Calleja on the treatment table. Villareal at full-strength play some great football and can be extremely dangerous, so with all these injury problems they are facing this is the best time to play them.

As for Real Madrid, all eyes will be on the showdown in Rome next week and according to AS and Marca, Raul and Zidane will both be rested so Owen is set to start upfront with Ronaldo. Figo is also not likely to play.

Probable line up:

------------Casillas------------
Salgado-Samuel-Helguera-Carlos
Beckham-Celades-Guti-Solari---
------El Fenómeno-Owen-------

Villareal 0-3 Real Madrid.

I would happily accept a 1-0 win, the clean sheet is the most important thing to me.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
?

a correction in the line up:

--------------Casillas-----------
Salgado---Pavon--Samuel--Bravo
------Celades-Javi Garcia-------
Beckham----------------Solari
--------Owen---Ronaldo---------

Defence doesn't look strong, we are going to conceed a goal I say, but how many are we going to score?

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
Real_Madrid, bet he means a win-draw-loose ratio. but for what??? :confused:

·
20,440 Posts
Setzer said:
8-1-4, not 8-4-1 :D
oh well that makes more sense. though i wish it was 8-4-1. ;)

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Figo and Guti _cannot_ play this match as they both picked up their fifth yellow cards against Levante(both on stupid, idiotic plays to delay Levante's free-kicks).

Zizou, Raul and Salgado will likely miss the match as well.

Salgado is nursing a minor leg injury, and I'd rather have him fit for Rome.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You say idiotic, but the truth is they meant to get the yellow cards because they were going to be rested for the Roma game anyways. Maybe you already knew that, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Real_Madrid said:
?

a correction in the line up:

--------------Casillas-----------
Salgado---Pavon--Samuel--Bravo
------Celades-Javi Garcia-------
Beckham----------------Solari
--------Owen---Ronaldo---------

Defence doesn't look strong, we are going to conceed a goal I say, but how many are we going to score?
midfield looks solid but inexprienced. solaris on the left with ronaldo playing also on the left should be leathal.
IMHO this is a very important game for us in terms of la liga.
barca have an easy game in the CL this week and will probably rest players in the CL game while playing the strong side on the weekend la liga match.
if they win and we tie or lose and we are in much bigger problems then we are now.
with guti and figo out of this game (both are currently our best players), the team will realy need to push it.
not that i think he is capable of, but if beckham wants to gain the fans affection, this is the game to do it.
big game for Javi Garcia, i think the guy is only 17 (187 cm tall!!!), you could say it is a test for him to see if he takes the pressure.

·
Registered
494 Posts
2-1 for Real. I would rather see mejia next to samuel. Midfield should do fine. A game for solari and owen I think. Ronaldo should be rested. Moro can do the job with owen.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think we found a player in Javi Garcia. The kid looks like he belongs with the big boys. He looked completely at ease when he came on, certainly looked like he possessed the grace and balance - I'm just curious to know whether he can dig in and get dirty when needed. If so maybe we've got a future Prince at the Bernabeu. :smileani:

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
with so many standard players rested for the one or other reason i don't expect an easy one. I hope we can win, but we may not underrate Villareal.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
lili said:
with so many standard players rested for the one or other reason i don't expect an easy one. I hope we can win, but we may not underrate Villareal.
exactly.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Well, benching players this way is supposed to be a calculated risk. The game against Roma is infinitely more important than this weekend's game so I wouldn't feel too bad if we lost vs Villareal.

Of course, this means that we must win against Roma. Real Madrid is every team's favorite scalp and I have no doubt that Roma will do everything in their power to spoil our moving into the next round of ChL competition.

·
20,440 Posts
rapid we cant. Kiev has two more points now, so if we draw and they loose they are still 1 point ahead of us. Plus Leverkusen will be through then. Leverkusen has the same points as we have but the way better scoring sheet and head-to-head standing. So only in the case when they lose at home to Kiev we have a chance with a draw. But i never would rely on that. They draw and were out.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't think many people are interested in this match and many eyes are on the encounter with roma, so I predict a 2-2 draw :dontcare:

·
A por Ellos!
6,895 Posts
Last time i checked, it said in thread, villareal, so why bring up the roma game here. You guys are undervaluing this game. I wish you guys would recognize how important this game is for us. Barca has definetly 3 points in the bag this weekend when they face malaga at nou camp. so a 10/9 points difference would be a bit much, dont u think?

Btw i think we are lining up one of our best teams we can at the moment(taking form into account..) Casillas; Salgado, Samuel, Pavon/Mejia, Raul Bravo; Celades, JaviGarcia; Beckham, Solari; Owen, Ronaldo;

The weak points there would be if Pavon is lined up and Raul Bravo(although R.Carlos has been pretty shit too). This Javi guy is real interesting... Beckham at the right :) Owen in :) the guy could start putting real big pressure on Raul if he does something big, like win us the game. Owen show the "Owen 2001", plz....

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
No, a 10 point difference is not that much -- really. The league is only a third of the way through and we are still waiting for the team to truly come into form. I think most any footballing veteran will tell you that it's not that big of a disaster and not an insurmountable lead.

What would be a disaster though is an exit from the Champion's League. As with all playoff competitions, you just need to get into the knockout stages and anything can happen.

So am I undervaluing the Villareal match? I don't think so. The result vs Villareal weighed against the result vs Roma is no contest and there should be no doubt whatsoever as to what should hold the most importance.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
MAD Fan said:
No, a 10 point difference is not that much -- really. The league is only a third of the way through and we are still waiting for the team to truly come into form. I think most any footballing veteran will tell you that it's not that big of a disaster and not an insurmountable lead.

What would be a disaster though is an exit from the Champion's League. As with all playoff competitions, you just need to get into the knockout stages and anything can happen.

So am I undervaluing the Villareal match? I don't think so. The result vs Villareal weighed against the result vs Roma is no contest and there should be no doubt whatsoever as to what should hold the most importance.
here's some veteran reality check,
our team is maybe only truly coming into form, but without the other team loosing form, it will not help our cause (Liga title).
making a claim that a 10 points is not big because we are only about third into the liga is just not true.
this is a very important game and i totaly agree with Daopica that it should get full attention from our team.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts