Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have another winner! :)

From socceramerica:

"Add goalkeeper Jonny Walker to the list of Americans who have one foreign league titles. Walker and his team, Universidad Catolica, captured the Chilean League championship on Sunday by defeating Rangers, 4-0, in the second leg of the finals.

The victory comes after a 1-1 tie in the first leg and gives Catolica its eighth league title, first since 1997, and a berth in the 2003 Copa Libertadores Cup.

Playing at home in front of a boisterous, sellout crowd of about 20,000, Catolica controlled the match and tallied its first goal just before halftime when Arturo Norambuena deftly touched a pass from Patrico Ormazabal into the net. After the break, Norambuena picked up right where he left off, finishing Jorge Campos' crossing pass in the 46th minute.

Walker then made his most important save of the match, deflecting an eight-yard volley by Rub%E9n Vallejos out for a corner in the 54th minute, discouraging the visitors.

Catolica's clincher followed eight minutes later when Daniel Perez powered a shot home and Milovan Mirosevic iced the cake with an 82nd minute rocket.

Catolica finished second last year with Walker in goal.

The title came just a day before Walker's wife, Shauna, was scheduled to have their first child."

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Oldsocfan said:
We have another winner! :)

The title came just a day before Walker's wife, Shauna, was scheduled to have their first child."
Cool ...... :cool: A Chilenito or Chilenita on the way !!!!
Congrats to Johnny and esposa !!! ;)
I refrain fron congratulating U Catolica at this time, for personal reasons !!!

:lala:

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
Tell me something: you guys got a Jack Daniels as well?:D :D :D :D :D :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: ;)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Will this guy ever get a shot at being US #1?

I've never seen him play so I can't say, but I think he deserves a look see. The US will have plenty of friendlies this year, if only to allow Nike to show off, and for US soccer to refill its coffers; so I would hope we get to see him in the national team colors, soon.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have seen him play and I can tell you he at least deserves a shot. He impressed me every time I saw him.

·
94,488 Posts
TP said:
Will this guy ever get a shot at being US #1?

I've never seen him play so I can't say, but I think he deserves a look see. The US will have plenty of friendlies this year, if only to allow Nike to show off, and for US soccer to refill its coffers; so I would hope we get to see him in the national team colors, soon.

One spot Chile has for ever been weak at its the goalkeeper's position...so Arena...you'd better watch out ' cause in another one yr or two Johnny might take Chilean Citizenship just to be the keeper for the Nats down there ... And that is feasible and I see it on the horizon as a possible move ... :cap:

·
Registered
23 Posts
congrats to jonny and los cruzados on a job well done. it's always great to see an american excelling in a foreign league, if for no other reason than to prove we aren't as bumbling at soccer as so many would have you believe. as for seeing jonny in the red, white and blue...don't count on it. i mean no disrespect to the quality of play in the chilean league, but johnny walker is an mls reject. he linked up with the dallas burn a few years ago but got stuck behind matt jordan and mark dodd on the depth chart. he couldn't find another home in mls so he bolted for chile and caught on with u. de catolica. i've seen him play a few times and he's definitely a quality keeper, and i'm willing to bet the mls teams that passed on him before are rethinking their decision, but there's no way he's better than keller, friedel, howard, etc. arena might give him a shot, but he'll never be the #1.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I saw the replay on FSWE great atmosphere in a relatively small stadium. The Chileans seem to give all thier players nicknames (el ratón Pérez, one guy was called "el camión") Walker was called "el gringuito" Walker by the announcer.:D

·
94,488 Posts
evilcrossbar said:
I saw the replay on FSWE great atmosphere in a relatively small stadium. The Chileans seem to give all thier players nicknames (el ratón Pérez, one guy was called "el camión") Walker was called "el gringuito" Walker by the announcer.:D
I've been to San Carlos de Aponquindo Stadium on a sold out night..The Atmosphere was second to none...With the $$ U Catolica has, they could have built a much bigger Stadium (Seats about 20,000 at full throttle), but its located in the MOST uppitty part of Santiago, Chile..And the locals didnt even want this Stadium to begin with...Catolica had to settle for the small Venue.

;)

How About Tiburon Ramirez ??? or Lolo Parraguez ?? :dielaugh:

·
Registered
54 Posts
colocolo said:

I've been to San Carlos de Aponquindo Stadium on a sold out night..The Atmosphere was second to none...With the $$ U Catolica has, they could have built a much bigger Stadium (Seats about 20,000 at full throttle), but its located in the MOST uppitty part of Santiago, Chile..And the locals didnt even want this Stadium to begin with...Catolica had to settle for the small Venue.

;)
I know they had to settle for the small venue, but IMO small venues is the way it should be in Chile with the lack of support the fans have shown in the past few years. Oh well, that's a topic for another forum, I'd say.

And About Walker, It's true what Colo-colo says, if Walker doesn't get a cap with the Americans soon, he'll probably end up playing for Chile.

Also, sure Walker was a MLS reject, but he was a young kid stuck behind two of MLS' best at the time. No shame in that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts