Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm...I rarely saw him playing either in Leeds Utd. or Newcastle. How good is he ? Is he really a good player ? What kind of defender is he ? Just curious about him that made Real Madrid wanted him so badly and signed him despite of his disqualification of medical test.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
he is a fantastic player. better than terry, campbell and probably ferdinand. fast, good on the ball, excellent at challenges and a real boost to any clubs defence. except he's injured all the bloody time. if woodgate had no injury problems madrid wouldve been looking at a bargain for 13 million especially with crap like samuel, pavon and bravo in the back four

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
he is a top drawer defender, reads the game beautifully and is lightning quick to snuff out the danger, compete arseole off the pitch, mind.

·
63,337 Posts
DavidSilk24 said:
he is a fantastic player. better than terry, campbell and probably ferdinand.
think you got that the wrong way round. :D

how people can think Ferdinand is a better defender than Terry and Campbell is beyond me.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Woodgate was very good but not that good. Anyway as long as he is a sicknote in Madrid he won't lose his repuation. Belive me after playing as a CB at that club he'd be behind all of those named. BTW Ledley King is a better defender aswell as Rio.

Woodgate at his best though was arguable better than Terry, Shame he will probably never get to that level again. He was a class defender theres no doubt about that.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:

how people can think Ferdinand is a better defender than Terry and Campbell is beyond me.
:thumbsup: I agree that Rio is over-rated, I would have Terry in the England XI ahead of him. Woodgate could be better than Rio but I'm not sure he is yet, certainly the injury could set him back. Campbell for me has been the rock in England's defence, both he and Terry are more likely to score than Rio.

At the moment

1. Terry
2. Campbell
3. Ferdinand
4. Woodgate (because he is injured and we haven't seen how good he is now)

More crucial question - do you think quality defenders at smaller clubs don't get the chances they deserve? Upson is one name springs to mind, there was talk he might move to Liverpool to boost his England chances (though I don't think that will get him into the XI)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Terry is too slow and has been amazingly unconvincing in an england shirt. reminds me of tony adams in euro 2000. he was at fault for both of portugals goals in the euro quarters but got away scot free of any blame, media bods chose the more predictable target of beckham and not terry's inability to stick with someone as rubbish as postiga or close down a player as old as rui costa

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I agree in the Euro If you had seen both players for the first time you couldn't belive how King was behind Terry in the selection. He outshined him by a long way but obviously that was a level playing field. Terry is at Mourinho's Chelsea now so he will get way more praise in his career and be more 'safe'. But belive me Terry at Spurs wouldn't do have as well as King.

Rio gets alot of hype like all English players but at his best we have to admit he is a very complete defender. King is my favourite as you all know but at 24 he will get even better with age so really he would be a great buy for one of the top clubs.

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:

rio has class, the other two lack it ;)

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
Owzat said:
:thumbsup: I agree that Rio is over-rated, I would have Terry in the England XI ahead of him. Woodgate could be better than Rio but I'm not sure he is yet, certainly the injury could set him back. Campbell for me has been the rock in England's defence, both he and Terry are more likely to score than Rio.

At the moment

1. Terry
2. Campbell
3. Ferdinand
4. Woodgate (because he is injured and we haven't seen how good he is now)

More crucial question - do you think quality defenders at smaller clubs don't get the chances they deserve? Upson is one name springs to mind, there was talk he might move to Liverpool to boost his England chances (though I don't think that will get him into the XI)
i didnt even have to look who you supported ffs :eekani: typical scouse fan trying to insult and call our players poor when 99% of Liverpool fans think Hyppia is class :eekani:

·
63,337 Posts
Terry was crap in Euro, he kept dropping back and stepping on James toes, but he has improved a lot this year and perhaps he just needs a run to provide understanding, although it has to be said playing in the Chelsea defence is a lot easier than playing England's.

i'd still pick him above Rio though, who is in his only dreamworld at times.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
KyleLeonard said:
Liverpool fans think Hyppia is class :eekani:
No we don't Hyypia is wank but Carragher is better then Rio anyone who doesn't think so needs to start watching the games instead of just little highlight packages on MOTD 2.

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
SM ONLINE said:
No we don't Hyypia is wank but Carragher is better then Rio anyone who doesn't think so needs to start watching the games instead of just little highlight packages on MOTD 2.
i am a season ticket holder at old trafford and have seen both players play, as Carragher said himself, he is 6th choice england centre back :thumbsup:

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
The Green One said:
Bollocks, we know who was at fault for Rui Costa's

~ The Green :rolleyes:ne
atleast Phil Neville tryed to close him down, actually who lost the ball to Rui Costa?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Woodgate is one of the best center halfs in England (now spain) when he is not injured i think Real Madrid have got one hell of a center half when he is fit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts