Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know this is Alc and you's know how much of a Sportinguista I am but the following statement about JVP says it all!

It's Ironic how the supposed Golden Boy of the Golden Generation is the one who f*cked us when all the money was on the table! This was a Golden opportunity to actually win the World Cup and now it's the same old sh!t! Root for Brazil or the U.S.!!!

Damn I wish Oliveira had some balls and started Rui Costa!!!

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
I really sense that JVP will get a similar welcome back to greeting that David Beckam received after the last World Cup.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I have a feeling I'm gonna be apologizing for J.V.P, for a looooonnnngggg time.

First, I agree it was a bone head move. He cost us - no doubt. But keep in mind, his red card was the result of a split second bad decision, influenced by adrenalin and nerves. Unpardonable, but understandable.

Oliveira's damage took months of preparation and bred in the bone incompetence to inflict. It is not just anyone who could wreak such havoc. The man must have a special gene or something.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think it's all of the players fault that you don't go through - underestimating the USA cost the 2nd round - not JVP sending off.

·
Registered
137 Posts
hopefully this will be the last we'll ever see of JVP in the seleccao....except when we play Liechenstein of course :)

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Tinto said:

First, I agree it was a bone head move. He cost us - no doubt. But keep in mind, his red card was the result of a split second bad decision, influenced by adrenalin and nerves. Unpardonable, but understandable.

I could swallow that much easier if he did not have a career of making poor choices when the stakes are high. If there was a time in his career you would expect him to be above such a stupid foul it is now. He has had time to learn and adjust, but he plows ahead with his baboonery anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe the reason why Beto got the second yellow card was not only for the foul but also for words to the ref.After the foul when he passes near very near the ref, he is talking. Either way it doesn't matter anymore right now.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
suriv said:
I believe the reason why Beto got the second yellow card was not only for the foul but also for words to the ref.After the foul when he passes near very near the ref, he is talking. Either way it doesn't matter anymore right now.
Yeah, he's no different than Deco :tongue:

·
Registered
642 Posts
You have JVP that wines to the pres saying that his position should never be in question, that he shouldnt have all the pressure.

and you have

Rui Costa who states that if he has to sit on the bench for the sake of the team hell do it gladly.

So IMO we played without our best player!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Korea-Portugal Ref Reveals Joao Pinto Punched Him
Portugal - South Korea | News Archive

06/15/2002. Angel Sanchez, the Argentine referee of the Portugal-Korea match, made known that Portugal villain Joao Pinto punched him shortly after he sent the erratic player off.

"I red carded Joao Pinto because he committed a foul from behind that was particularly violent. What's worse is that he assaulted me after I waved the card in front of him. He punched me with his left hand," said Sanchez.

A heavy ban is on its way for Joao Pinto, while Fernando Couto, who TV images showed putting his hands on the referee's face was absolved by Sanchez.

"He did that gesture to calm me down. He saw me agitated, and behaved very well," added Sanchez.

Portugal lost the match 1-0, and were sent packing by the dynamic Koreans.

soccerage

:eek:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I can't believe there were some people who suggested that Fernando Couto would be disciplined for his actions. There is no way the ref could see that as abuse.

The referee himself was out of control, and his eyes were bugging out of his head. Couto was trying to get him to relax and just focus on him, since he was the captain.

I know that ref's are human, but he should have walked away from the scrum. He has the ultimate authority, yet he seemed to want to go back at the Portuguese players.

The players can't give him a red card, all they can do is argue. It is his job to be above the fray. The players can be penalized severley by FIFA, whereas the ref will not be.

Still can't understand ther ref's actions toward Beto in the 10th minute when Beto got up and accidentally bumped into the oncoming ref. The ref glared at Beto and made a sudden gesture toward him.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just read that JVP punched the ref. in the stommach after his sending off? Not seen on TV but FIFA has proofs and it could mean that JVP could be banned for 5 matches missing Euro 2004...

If this is true then it's a disgrace!

Such a shame Portugal have to end their championships in disgrace as the team are able to play football from another world!

·
Registered
333 Posts
There is more to this story than meets the eye.

Sing with me now, You know the song
Don't cry for the Argentina ref, the truth is he's in on the fix
He's now a rich man, more money than his entire country

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Damning Video Evidence Arises Against Joao Pinto
News Archive

In hot water...Joao Pinto (Allsport)
06/18/2002. Disgraced Portugal midfielder Joao Pinto faces a lengthy ban from football following the surfacing of damning new video evidence that catches him punching Argentinean referee Angel Sanchez in the stomach immediately after being shown the red card during the first-half of Portugal's disastrous loss to South Korea.

FIFA sources have revealed that the footage ?shot by their own technical department - shows Joao Pinto committing the assault after being issued his marching orders for a malicious two-footed tackle from behind on South Korea star Park-Ji Sung.

The FIFA disciplinary committee is set to meet on Tuesday to discuss the case. Needless to say, the outlook looks very bleak for Joao Pinto.

soccerage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts