Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's time to do a first annalysis on Barça's situation. The first round of La Liga has already passed, we are out of the Copa and alive in UEFA Cup. Give your thoughts about Joan Laporta.

Personally, I prefered Lluis Bassat over him, but since more than thr 50% choose Laporta, he's my president and there's nothing else to say. Beckham didn't come, but instead Ronaldinho is here. Also, other players with good names came here, although we all know they are not giving anything else to the team. So we are in 5th place with no option in La Liga and out of Copa, with only the UEFA Cup and the 4th place in La Liga as the only opportunity to save the season, in a correct way.

There are some things I want to say about Joan Laporta:
1) Coach: Rijkaard is not definitely the coach for this team, he doesn't know what he wants of this team, he changes his mind every week depending on the results, the media, Cruyff... It was a mistake to bring him here and it will be a miskate to give him another season. I think it's not time to sack Rijkaard, we have 4 important matches now and I don't think we should create a crisis now.

2) The team: Except Ronaldinho, the sings didn't work and I recall the big names of Gaspart that after 6 months had a value of 0 €. Rustu is an example of this. Davids can give us things... but in the short term, I doubt he continues on summer. I expected more of this team, perhaps not in results, but I trusted to give another image, especially at home.

3) Economy: he has achieved a good deal, giving a structure to the debt that could help us to clear it in 8 years while we can continue buying the necessary players to be on top again. I think he has done a good job here.

4) Social: Of course, there are critics, this is normal as we can see in this forum too, but I don't see the big division of other years. Being Laporta fans or not, I think we all give him some credit (in general), he has increased the number of socios in few months and in this aspect things are going well.

5) Cruyff: I think it's one of his big mistakes. I love Cruyff, I'd give him a place in the football structure and a salary, but I can't understand why we give Cruyff the chance to take "decissions", but from out of the club, without salary and, as a consequence, without responsability.

By now, I'd give him a 6 out of 10.

What do you think about Laporta?:)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I agree with you analysis although in the economy part Laporta has reached his goals by getting a deal with La Caixa (a bank) thing that he criticised from Bassat ("we will be in the hands of the banks if Bassat is the president") and also increasing 40% the season tickets. The promised deal with shirt sponsors is yet to be seen.

I'll give him a 4 out of 10.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Angel_Culé said:
I agree with you analysis although in the economy part Laporta has reached his goals by getting a deal with La Caixa (a bank) thing that he criticised from Bassat ("we will be in the hands of the banks if Bassat is the president") and also increasing 40% the season tickets. The promised deal with sponsors is yet to be seen.

I'll give him a 4 out of 10.
But those are all good things. Anything that gets the debt down is good in my book. And putting the season ticket prices up was a masterstroke. Even with the increases, they are still amongst the cheapest for any big club in Europe.

And anything that keeps a single cheap looking print off our shirts is a blessing!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
But those are all good things. Anything that gets the debt down is good in my book. And putting the season ticket prices up was a masterstroke. Even with the increases, they are still amongst the cheapest for any big club in Europe.

And anything that keeps a single cheap looking print off our shirts is a blessing!
Of course it is good to have strong allies like the banks, but what I don't like is that Laporta in the elections campaign was criticising Bassat for proposing what he has done now. Raising the season tickets 40% I can call it anything but a masterstroke. The shirt sponsors deal hasn't come through not because Laporta didn't want It (it was in his programme) but because he hasn't found any that pays enough.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Once again a good analysis Koeman4.

I would probably rate Laporta 7 of 10 instead though.
To me he seems like a good leader, which is important.
He knows how to delegate responsabilities, and dont try to take control of everything in the club.

I agree with you about Rijkaard and Cruyff.
Appointing Rijkaard was imo the worst decision he has made. He is too inexperienced to first of all handle the pressure.

About Cruyff... Either you make him a full-fledged employee with the responsability that follows, or he has not influence whatsoever.

I think the signings that was made, is not directly decided by him, but by his staff (Txiki and Rijkaard). And I dont think they are that bad, they just need a good coach :)

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
The first thing I do when "grading" Laporta is to think back to Gaspart :mad: :yuck: :wallbang: Once I do this, I like him more, if only until the next time I have to think of Gaspart :yuck:

Having said that, I think he is doing fine, not great not bad, just fine. The team is better shape than in the last four years. In my mind, there is no denying that and that is a huge plus.

As for the points you raised, I mostly agree with your position:

1. Rijkaard is Laporta's biggest mistake. Frank Rijkaard does not know what he wants, changes his mind even when the team wins and guessing his line up has become harder than winning La Quiniela. However, one has to admit the amount of injuries the team has suffered. Puyol, Ronaldhino, Overmars (when is this guy not hurt? :rolleyes: ) Kluivert, Iniesta, Motta, Gerard, Gabri all of these players have missed significant time.

2. The team; This is where I probably disgree the most. I love the fact that he has cleaned up the team: Out with Rochemback, Enke, Bonano, Dani, Sorin at a high price, etc. I am sure next year the exudus will continue. Ronaldinho is much better than Beckham for Barcelona. He influences the game more and has more growth potential. I guarantee that I won't find someone who was not happy to see Rustu come to FCB, no one could supect how bad he would play. Luis Garcia (back from loan) and Quaresma are very young and have shown potential. Overall, I think that Laporta has done a nice job of addition by substraction. :star:

3. Economy: I could care less how he has done it, but he as done it. I love him for this. :star:

4. Social: I am a soci again :star: The USA tour was a success as was the trip to Mexico and the "meals" before and during the games are a fantastic idea. I also loved the midnight game against Sevilla. But the best was the public condemnation of the Boixo Nois. Another :star:

5. Cruyff: I agree 100% with you, if Cruyff wants to get involved with the decision making, he has to do it with all the responsabilities that come wit it.

Nice thread, it makes me feel like I am having Deja Vu ;)

So lets say I give him a 6.5 out of 10.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Angel_Culé said:
The shirt sponsors deal hasn't come through not because Laporta didn't want It (it was in his programme) but because he hasn't found any that pays enough.
I consider that a positive point as well.
If noone is willing to pay a substantial amount for this, then just leave the shirts unspoiled. We dont have to sell them at any price, especially considering the tradition.

Yes, it was in his program, but he has always said that only if the price was right. Refusing offers shows strength, considering the financial situation we are in.

·
21,026 Posts
CarniVore said:
If noone is willing to pay a substantial amount for this, then just leave the shirts unspoiled. We dont have to sell them at any price, especially considering the tradition.

Yes, it was in his program, but he has always said that only if the price was right. Refusing offers shows strength, considering the financial situation we are in.
Good point, I agree:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
CarniVore said:

I consider it another lie. Before he was saying that he had 4 or 5 sponsors calling at his door willing to pay a good amount of money. Now we are sponsorless. Whether you like sponsors or not it is a failure.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Is Laporta not allowed to change his mind? He IS in charge after all. The financial situation has improved inmensly. The shirt sponsor is no longer a desperate requirement, but an un-needed blemish on tradition. Maybe he was going to. Now he doesn't want to. Given the huge financial improvements, I'm happy we haven't sold the colours.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
Is Laporta not allowed to change his mind? He IS in charge after all. The financial situation has improved inmensly. The shirt sponsor is no longer a desperate requirement, but an un-needed blemish on tradition. Maybe he was going to. Now he doesn't want to. Given the huge financial improvements, I'm happy we haven't sold the colours.
He hasn't changed his mind, he hasn't found the sponsors he was talking about. Another Beckham type of afirmation.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
http://www.marca.com/edicion/noticia/0,2458,429072,00.html

It is in Spanish with altavista translator, easy to understand.

“Estamos en 164 millones de euros pero necesitamos 200. La publicidad en la camiseta sólo la utilizaremos si tenemos un gran contrato”, explicó Laporta, que añadió que “no tenemos prisa, no quiero angustiarme. Si pudiéramos firmar por diez millones de euros y la cantidad fuera renegociable no estaría mal. Podría ser que este año no tuviéramos publicidad en la camiseta”. El Barcelona quiere un contrato similar al del Madrid o del Manchester.

We will only use a sponsor if the payment is good" "If we could get an sponsor for 10 million euros it would be fine"

Months ago he said that he had lined-up 4 or 5 firms who could deliver such quantity.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Angel_Culé said:

1) I agree with you analysis although in the economy part Laporta has reached his goals by getting a deal with La Caixa (a bank) thing that he criticised from Bassat ("we will be in the hands of the banks if Bassat is the president") and also increasing 40% the season tickets. The promised deal with shirt sponsors is yet to be seen.

2) I consider it another lie. Before he was saying that he had 4 or 5 sponsors calling at his door willing to pay a good amount of money. Now we are sponsorless. Whether you like sponsors or not it is a failure.
1) About La Caixa, I recall many debates of Laporta accusing Bassat of selling the club to the banks and economical powers. I wanted Bassat and I thought that Laporta was unfair with Lluis Bassat in this case. We all knew that Barça had to do something with the debt and going to the banks was the only solution since they are the owners of this money. Laporta was playing his last card and he knew Bassat was the enemy, I didn't like this style, but he already won and I can't do anything than support our team. You are right about the season tickets.

2) In fact this is true. He has also said he had 5 powerful sponsors who "wanted" our shirt. But perhaps this is just another way to pressure the companies to raise their offer.

If we are going to have sponsor, then I think it's better to wait for the best possible offer as CarniVore and barça have said. I think that Laporta trust in achieving the 4th place to be in the CL. This is the time to listen for offers. The CL is seen everywhere in the world, but not the UEFA Cup. I think that's the reason for not having the sponsor.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Koeman4 said:

If we are going to have sponsor, then I think it's better to wait for the best possible offer as CarniVore and barça have said.
I also agree with that view, and am not sentimental about putting an sponsor if that means good money to sign good players. But my point is that Laporta said he had the sponsors delivering good money (I can quote that) and later on he is telling something else.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
But according to YOUR quotes, there were companies interested, not necessarily Laporta out concluding deals. There are a million reasons why a previous idea doesn't work out. He never specifically said "I will definitely get a sponsor by next January" so your "lie" is completely imaginary. If that is the best the Anti Laporta brigade can bring, then please continue. Given the huge financial improvements whilst respecting the traditions of the club, while also allowing money to go out to strengthen the squad, there is NO reason to consider Laporta anything even remotely resembling a failure.

Let me repeat. The financial situation no longer requires a shirt sponsor. Therefore there is no need to chase one. If it's "just for the money" why not abandon the whole idea of the club and follow Madrid's route of charging 1,2 and even 3 million euros for friendlies against Asian teams, then buy un-necessary players entirely for their market value then raise the shirt prices to match?

As for the ticket prices, what's the problem? Did I not say "still amongst the cheapest for any big club in Europe"? Did no-one see that? Compared to other fans who pay more for far less value, Barca fans have had an easy ride. Which maybe explains why they pay these small fees then sit quietly in the stadium. :rolleyes: Given that some season tickets can cover Europe, Cup and B team games, what the hell do they have to complain about?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Laporta gets a 6 from me, so far. I would have given him a higher mark if he had hired a better coach and if we were still alive in the Copa del Rey. As far as the economic situation in the club, he's done a very good job so far and hopefully things will keep getting better, I'm looking forward to the summer transfer period!:) :cool:

PS I'll give him a 9 if he brings Henry to Camp Nou!;)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
What do you mean by according to MY (YOUR) quotes? That I am putting words in Laporta's mouth that he didn't say? Did you read HIS program? What did he say about sponsors? Yes or not. He said yes. I suppose you read that.

Well, later on Laporta said that he was expecting to get a deal worth 12 million euros

http://old.ole.com.ar/diario/2003/10/07/f-636572.htm

IN the next link Laporta says (unless the journalist is another member of the Anti Laporta brigade) that Barcelona have 10 firms willing to pay between 10 and 12 million euros

"Asimismo, el presidente blaugrana dijo que sobre su mesa

tiene una treintena de ofertas para poner publicidad en la camiseta del primer equipo de fútbol, diez de ellas "muy interesantes", de entre 10 y 12 millones de euros anuales.

Translation:
Also, the Barcelona president stated that Barcelona had 30 offers of shirt sponsors, 10 of them very interesting, of 10 to 12 million euros per year.

http://noticias.ya.com/deportes/2003/08/17/5478274.html

ViscaBarcaInter said:

Let me repeat. The financial situation no longer requires a shirt sponsor.
Are you Laporta in person or haven't you read what Laporta has just recently said ?
NOW he is saying that ONLY if the price is right they will have the sponsor. What is that price? 10 to 12 million euros (his words, not mine). What did he said before? We will have a sponsor. What did he say later on? We have ten sponsors who are willing to pay 10 to 12 million euros.

Let's just look at the funny side of it.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand your point Angel, but in this case i think it's just another way to pressure to sponsors saying to the press: "We have offers of 10 million €". That way another company could raise their offer, if they are really intersted. In this case, I think he has talked too much, but personally, I don't give it much importance.

Just questioning, why are you so critic with Laporta? I mean, for me it's great, the best way to improve is to have a critical and constructive opinion about things, but which are your reasons for it?:)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
bassat wanted to create an organisme for control the economy power of barça separated of barça president, that wanted to mean that the barça president will not be longer to control the economy.
laporta has bring a bad coach that is obviosly and also has made mistakes on someplayers, well in my opinion he has bring only two good players in summer.
the economy i don't think barça has to go out there asking please that we want an sponsor, if they don't pay what we want then out.
in social barça has get more socios than never before, of course they don't pay as much as socis with seats have to pay but i think that the reason of this incrising number of socis is that they don't have to pay the 300€ that people have to pay before if they wanted to be soci.
about beckham he lies or he said the true i don't care the fact is that the beckham not coming has bring us the ronaldinho's magic

·
21,026 Posts
nrk said:
about beckham he lies or he said the true i don't care the fact is that the beckham not coming has bring us the ronaldinho's magic
No question, Ronaldinho is much, much better than Beckham. Especially for a team and a city like Barcelona.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts