Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still consider myself a novice at this, so perhaps I could get some help or a little clarification. How do various players fit into their roles and how does this correspond to jersey numbers. I realize that there is no perfect description of certain positions, just do the best you can( iknow different formations are different, but just try).. I'll start with a few I hope to be right on.

11- forward but with good playmaking skills (Kluivert, Rivaldo?)
10- pure playmaker, best examples (Zidane, Riquelme,Rui Costa)
9- classical striker, best examples (Ronaldo, Trezeguet, etc.)

7- classical winger, best examples (Figo, Beckham)
6- defensive midfielder??, best examples (redondo?)

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Using 4-4-2, they are almost always:

1. Goalkeeper
2. Right full-back
3. Left full-back
4. Centre-half
5. Centre-half
6. Defensive midfield
7. Right midfield
8. Central midfield
9. Striker
10. Striker
11. Left wing

Of course, then again, sometimes 4/5/6 are swapped around, and sometimes 8/11 are swapped around, but they hardly matter. In my mind, there is no other way to arrange squad numbers. The first choice right-back is always 2. The first choice left-back is always 3. No questions about that, except when foreigners come into it, and screw up everything. Not that they're completely useless...

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Way back in the 60's ...

2-3-4
5-6
7-8-9-10-11

The 3-2-5 Formation Used in those days ...

1. GK
2.Right Back
3.Center Back
4.Left Back
5.Right MidFielder
6.Left Midfielder
7.Right Wing
8.Striker
9. Center Striker
10. Striker
11. Left Winger

Goals were scored by the TON back in those days !!!! ;)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Bastin was very right.....Thats exactly how the numbers are in 4-42 formation,which is the classic one.
But sometimes one of two strikers takes No.11 and left midf. takes No.8 instead.In that case one of central midf. (the most organizing one) takes No.10....Thats about it..

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Am I right in saying that most teams use number 11 for a striker in Europe, because I've seen many 'target men' use that number? With 5-3-2, it would normally go:

1. Goalkeeper
2. Right Centre-half
3. Centre-half
4. Left Centre-half
5. Right Wing-back
6. Central midfield
7. Central midfield
8. Left Wing-back
9. Striker
10. Target man
11. Attacking midfield

The target man is in the mould of Alan Shearer, Christian Vieri, Batistuta, etc, i.e. strong in the air, powerful shot, good upper-body strength.

The #11 Attacking midfielder is in the mould of Rui Costa, Zidane, Riquelme, as said by maxout at the beginning. I didn't make the distinction between the attacking players before, because, though the 4-4-2 formation does allow for split-strikers, it doesn't differentiate between #9 and #10.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I'm not really sure about positions & numbers, but Raul is a striker & he gets the #7. I've heard it's a personal preference. #9 is usually for a striker (Morientes, Inzaghi, Trezeguet etc), if I'm not wrong. #10 is for the creative people, I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
If really depends. Some players have numbers that just don't fit.

Zidane - 4
Henry - 14
Vieri - 32
Litmanen - 37

It's obviously up to the players themselves to organise things, but should use the outline above as a framework. Some players just like the number (Litmanen wanted it to be 7, to be like Dalglish, but that, 17, 27, and 70 were ALL taken), whereas some are forced into choosing numbers (Zidane wanted 7, but it was already taken by Raul).

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Reminds me of the crazy numbering system in the NFL .....
My Buccaneers Favorite Player Number is #99, Warren Carlos Sapp !!!

:dielaugh:

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Depends of the conutry and club.

IN Brazil and Urugay it is traditional that left backs play with #6....while in Europe they are normally #3.

#11 is normally for the old fashoned left wniger, but as they have evaporated from tehe face of the earth, some our Forwards and other are midfielders!

etc..etc...etc...etc

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
At least back in the days there was system in the numbers, but that is hardly the case anymore. With the squads growing in the top clubs certain players seem to get more *personalized* shirt numbers. Veron is a playmaker and has #4. Mihajlovic, a central defender #11, goalkeeper Peruzzi #70, Stankovic a left winger #5, Nesta #13, Zidane #5 etc, etc.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't Zidane wear #10?

What got me thinking aboutthis was going to www.soccerassociation.com and looking at the player profiles. it shows you where the players are likely to play on the pitch.

It seems that there is no longer any concrete correlation between numbers and playing position on the field. An influence of the dutch total football idea i guess.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
In the 3-4-3/4-3-3 Ajax system the numbers are as follows:

1. GK
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. A CB who plays in front of the defence and behind the midfield
6. RM
7. Right winger/attacker
8. LM
9. Striker
10.Offensive MF (think of Litmanen)
11.Left winger/attacker

Sometimes the number 5 is swapped with a real CB and I'm not sure about number 6 & 8.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
i've read that the playmaker in the mid(guardiola, falcao, veron) gets number 5 in south america and number 4 in spain. i've read an article on this, i'll see if i can find it

·
Registered
47,298 Posts
In Italy in the 80s (we never talked about 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 or whatever....)

1."portiere" (goalkeeper)

2."terzino destro" (right back)
3."terzino sinistro" (left back)
(one of them was usually a "fluidificante"... he often went to attack, for example Cabrini, while the other marked the second forward, for example Claudio Gentile)

4. (or 6.) "mediano (di spinta)" (the defensive half)

5. stopper (marked the centre forward)

6. (or 4.) "libero" (Scirea or Baresi are our best examples)

7. " ala (tornante) di destra" (right wing)
It's interesting to see that in many teams (for example Italia 82) there is no left wing, but the left SB often acts as a left wing.

8. "centrocampista" generico ( midfielder, from team to team his duties change, more defensive, more offensive.... )

9. centre forward

10. "mezzala di punta" "mezzapunta" "rifinitore".... call him as you want he is usually the player with the best technique in the team, the player who must build the opportunities for the forwards.

11. "seconda punta" (second forward). he is usually more mobile than the centre forward and has no definite position.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Bastin said:
10. Target man

The target man is in the mould of Alan Shearer, Christian Vieri, Batistuta, etc, i.e. strong in the air, powerful shot, good upper-body strength.
Since when has Alan Shear worn 10? 9 is the number for a target man and 10 the more skillful alternative. I also think that 9 seems to be the favoured number by british forwards and 10 by their continental counter parts.

Whilst we're on the subject, one thing that realy pisses me off is when people wear stupid numbers like Buffon with his 77 or 88. I'm not saying the players should wear 1-11 but the players should use some common sense.

·
Registered
47,298 Posts
mutu1875 said:

Whilst we're on the subject, one thing that realy pisses me off is when people wear stupid numbers like Buffon with his 77 or 88. I'm not saying the players should wear 1-11 but the players should use some common sense.
I agree.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts