Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BIRMINGHAM have completed the £3million signing of Jermaine Pennant from Arsenal.

The midfielder, who recently served a prison sentence for drink-driving offences, agreed a three-year contract and the club have an option to retain the player for an extra year.

Pennant, 22, has been on loan at St Andrews since January after finding his first-team opportunities limited at Highbury.

Pennant arrived at Highbury in 1999 for £2m from Notts County but
never fulfilled his billing as a teenage prodigy.

He did score a hat-trick on his first Premiership start, in a 6-1 rout of
Southampton, but failed to establish himself in the first team.

After loan spells at Watford and Leeds he was back at Highbury, but again was not in manager Arsene Wenger’s plans.

Pennant was convicted of drink driving offences last season and received a three-month prison sentence when he offended again, in January.

--------------------------------------------------------

oh well, it never worked out for Jacke's boy, a move is the best thing for him, perhaps he will develop better at the Brum environment,

good luck to him.

£3m is a profit we made, belive it or not ;) that pays for van Persie anyway. :smileani:

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Poor Birmingham got the raw end of the deal i reckon, it was so crystal clear Arsenal were never gonna keep him and with no other clubs genuinely contending for his signature, £3 million is too much money.:eekani:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
That's a darn transfer by Birmingham :dielaugh:

Why pay 3 million pounds when you have him on loan and can get him for free in the summer?

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
There's some rule that states they had to pay 3m compensation to us since he had been at the club since he was 15, or something like that.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes that's right, any young player you have to pay compensation these days, i think the rule was mainly set up for small clubs to stop their boys being poached for free though not clubs for our size. :D

·
Defunk'ed
7,869 Posts
So hold a sec, even if Arsenal didnt offer him a new contract and he decided to join Birmingham at the end of the season, they would still be obliged to pay the 3M ? Now thats a joke really. If I was say Luton Town and I wanted Pennant when he ws free after the 30th of June I would still have to pay the 3M to Arsenal ? What happens when all of the clubs interested in Pennant arent able to afford that fee ? Does he go out of football until the next transfer window ? Now this is just plain STUPID by the FA.

Nice valuing you got down there for home grown players. :(

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
FA decide the value of the player. A club like Luton would never be in for a signature of a 3m pound player.

3m imo is a little bit low. He is 21 years old and is by far the best player in the England U21 team. he has a bright future, just not at arsenal

·
Defunk'ed
7,869 Posts
No but the question still stands what happens to his career if none of the clubs wanting his signature can afford him ? Does he just sit and twiddle his thumbs waiitng for a 'rich' club to come for him ?

Crap signing for Birmingham by the way. They haggle their heads off coz they want to sign Pandiani for a meagre fee, yet pay up big money to a former whizkid with absolutely no chance of making it to the big time. Weird.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Pennant's got talent. And hopefully he's learned a lesson for life from being in jail. I wish him all the best at Birmingham. He deserves a second chance but if he screwes up again I'm not the one giving him a third one...
Anyway, considered the price City gave for him it isn't that much loss penny-wise if he doesn't come up to his normal standard again. But if he will focuse on the right things he still have plently of time to do so and also become one of the greatest, and if he becomes that, well, congratulations City! ;)

And yeah, Good luck Pennant! (not that he's reading but still...ehh)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
husain_14 said:
No but the question still stands what happens to his career if none of the clubs wanting his signature can afford him ? Does he just sit and twiddle his thumbs waiitng for a 'rich' club to come for him ?

Crap signing for Birmingham by the way. They haggle their heads off coz they want to sign Pandiani for a meagre fee, yet pay up big money to a former whizkid with absolutely no chance of making it to the big time. Weird.
3m isn't big money at all, Birmingham can afford it since they're loaded.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Apparently Birmingham are keen for him to improve his education a little.

GOOD: Getting a taxi when drunk
BAD: Driving a car when drunk

There's a start.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
It's only half a mil upfront anyway. The rest depends on how well he plays for us and could rise to 3mil. Personally I think it will because he has the ability to be one of our star players for years to come.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I agree with Rob... pennant has all the talent in the world... what we need to see is if he has half a head!

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
BIRMINGHAM have completed the £3million signing of Jermaine Pennant from Arsenal.

The midfielder, who recently served a prison sentence for drink-driving offences, agreed a three-year contract and the club have an option to retain the player for an extra year.

Pennant, 22, has been on loan at St Andrews since January after finding his first-team opportunities limited at Highbury.

Pennant arrived at Highbury in 1999 for £2m from Notts County but
never fulfilled his billing as a teenage prodigy.

He did score a hat-trick on his first Premiership start, in a 6-1 rout of
Southampton, but failed to establish himself in the first team.

After loan spells at Watford and Leeds he was back at Highbury, but again was not in manager Arsene Wenger’s plans.

Pennant was convicted of drink driving offences last season and received a three-month prison sentence when he offended again, in January.

--------------------------------------------------------

oh well, it never worked out for Jacke's boy, a move is the best thing for him, perhaps he will develop better at the Brum environment,

good luck to him.

£3m is a profit we made, belive it or not ;) that pays for van Persie anyway. :smileani:
:sob: :sob:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts