Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former EPL young player of the year, I think this guy could be a top 5 central midfielder in world football if he develops a character on the pitch and makes it his own.

He is more than capable, the guy has everything in his game and I don't see why he couldn't be as good as Stevie G and Lamps in the next few season.

He is arguably more talented than both of them, but it depends how he matures.

Im not saying he is with them now but I wouldn't be suprised if he reached that level, what do you guys think? :)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
are you insane??? he's been awful in the past couple of months, he's a dyer waiting to happen

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
I was optimistic when he arrived at Newcastle, he played well and showed some potentialI remember but he's fading (if not faded already)..

I hope he gets back and play well though, good for the English NT :)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy isn't at his best and not the finished article but to me he seems like a Dyer that could go the right way in the next couple of years, really it depends how he matures.

Like I said ain't on that level yet but he has the talent and the potential, next season will be a good indication of where his career will go. For me he has way more left in him and its blatant.

Nobody is saying he is there yet but Im asking what do you think he could become?

I remember people saying Lampard shouldn't even be playing in the Premiership a few seasons back, Jenas is a player that shouldn't be underestimated. If he is moved to a more central position and he focuses on his game he can be on that level.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
i think he got to get out of Newcastle. Things are not running smoothly in the club. too many internal problems it seems. A more imaginative manager might bring more out of him.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Newcastle United isn't the best of places, but if the guy builds his own character then he can influence the team and stand out regardless, he needs to just give it everything he has.

He is only at 60-70% of the player he could be IMO.

22 now so next season will be a very important one, make or break, ok not break but we should know where his career heading in 12 months.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Not had a good season, but I hope he can come back and do well next season, I thought he would have kicked on too become a top player in the premiership, but it hasn't happened...yet, there's still time.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
he's absolutely pony , what have you been smoking Faisal ? i suggest you take a good look at him playing the next time he's on and stay off the solvents beforehand. ;)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not on crack and don't tell me you didn't think he wouldn't become a class player when he first came onto the scene.

Really I think he should go to Arsenal, training with the Arsenal players under Wenger Im sure his career would go farer than at Newcastle United but with Souness who is tough I think there is hope that he can make it big there.

I honest can't see how he is a pony? On current form or abilitywise? He is no pony even on his bad days I've liked the guy since day one and I hope he goes to player we know he can become. Like I said now he is only at 70% of his potential.

·
63,337 Posts
he is pony because he just runs and does nothing else and he's always making either nothing or bad passes.

if Wenger signs him i will eat my head.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL ok we will see, No Vieira but I think he could certainly be as good as Gerrard Lamps etc but like I said it really depends on how he matures.

Remember when everyone was saying Lampard should be playing in Division 1, look at how much he has improved so I wouldn't write off Jenas. And like I said in my first post he needs to build his character and start to own the midfield, the tools are all there.

·
63,337 Posts
well i haven't seen any of these tools, he must have kept his toolbox locked whenever i see him. :shades:

of course he could turn out to be brilliant in a few years, just at the moment i can't see why anyone would think that.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could is the key word mate, Could.

Im not saying he is now but he could because technically and physcially he has the tools, its just the mental side of his game that needs to grow.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Don't think much of him at all. Carrick is a lot better and more likely to break into the England team, or at least he would be if there wasn't a dipshit in charge. Same with Parker. O'neil might be something, he shows moments of good vision and ability.

But in no way is Jenas as talented as any of the names mentioned. His passing by comparison is god awful, not physically strong, can't tackle, not much of a header, shooting is piss poor... he has some skill but rarely pulls it off in a game. Whereas a Gerrard or Lampard don't beat people with tricks but using their head by being a step ahead. If he becomes a top 5 central midfielder in the world then the game of football would be in a disgraceful state. I hope I am wrong though, the more English talent the better.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Faisal said:
LOL ok we will see, No Vieira but I think he could certainly be as good as Gerrard Lamps etc but like I said it really depends on how he matures.

Remember when everyone was saying Lampard should be playing in Division 1, look at how much he has improved so I wouldn't write off Jenas. And like I said in my first post he needs to build his character and start to own the midfield, the tools are all there.
Lamps>Vieira

When was that then? He got almost ten or more goals a season as a central midfielder. A lot of teams in the prem would love that. And he tackled as much as anyone then as well, more so than he does now. Lamps always had the potential, always had a good ball in him, a great shot, a crunching tackle and was always a fighter right from the beginning of his career. And a big character, had to be in the circumstances he was in. He was also Captain for England U-21's and our best player in a group of outstanding talent, getting a striker's rate of goals. To say Jenas has the same potential as Lamps did is silly. I rate Bowyer more than Jenas though.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Bowyer O'neill? WTF

And yes people were saying Lampard wasn't deserving of playing EPL football, thats what I used to hear when he was overwieght and not as quick as he was now. Those people were going over the top but the fact that I was hearing statments like that says alot.

Jenas has good feet, pace, stamina, a good passer of the ball, but I agree that his character needs to grow and that he needs to start dominating games.

Maybe I took it too far, I can see him being one of the best midfielders in the EPL.

The main difference between him and those 2 is character, he obviously isn't at their level..yet.

I wouldn't say he is at 60-70% of his potential if he was anywhere near as good as them, but he just seems to me one of those players that needs something to click mentally, once it does then I don't think his ability will be questioned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts