Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has criticised his treatment at the hands of Highbury boss Arsene Wenger.
"Of course I was surprised to be dropped," said Lehmann, 35, whose place has been taken by Manuel Almunia. "I'm sorry but what have I done wrong?

"At this club every goal is blamed on the goalkeeper.

"If they can find someone who never ever makes the smallest mistake they should sign him right away. But it will be very hard to find that person."

Lehmann returned to the Arsenal side for the first time since the loss at Liverpool on 28 November last year but Spaniard Almunia will return for the trip to Bolton on Saturday.

He has been linked with Borussia Moenchengladbach and Stuttgart while Wenger has said he would be prepared to let Lehmann go in search of the first team football he needs to have a chance of becoming Germany's number one keeper

But Lehmann said: "It is the second time he has mentioned that and I think everybody in football knows why he does it.

"I have signed for three years and I intend to honour that contract."

Lehmann believes some of the criticism he has had to endure has been unfair but he insists he still has faith in his own ability.

"I was blamed for a lot of goals but in fact I never made a typical goalkeeping mistake," added the keeper, who signed for Arsenal in July 2003 from Borussia Dortmund.

"I've lost the ball outside the penalty area sometimes but that is down to my very risky game.

"I don't doubt myself. Why should I? I came here and won the championship without losing a game.

"Who can compare to that? Name me anyone who has done that before."

------------------

ahhhh...poor diddums. Someone give the poor little lad a cuppa and a pat on the :ass: nal. Mind you, he's got a bit of nerve. Apparently he won the title last year single handed :lala: :howler: Interesting soap opera from the Prima-gooners :tongue:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Well, if you ask me, personally I don't like him either. He's too emotional and too much blunder to be our player. He should ask himself why he's dropped by Wenger.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres been a few outbursts from players over the last few months. Wiltord wasn't happy, and now Lehmann has gone to the press. Wengers man management perhaps needs a little fine tunning? Or is it a case of players not being prepared to fight for their places. Whinging to the press seems to be a bit of cultural thing within the club. If Wenger is going to do it about other players when things don't go right for him, I guess you can't blame his players from following suit.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
Theres been a few outbursts from players over the last few months. Wiltord wasn't happy, and now Lehmann has gone to the press. Wengers man management perhaps needs a little fine tunning? Or is it a case of players not being prepared to fight for their places. Whinging to the press seems to be a bit of cultural thing within the club. If Wenger is going to do it about other players when things don't go right for him, I guess you can't blame his players from following suit.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Wenger's man-management policy right now. He simply has to do what he thinks the best for the team.

I can understand Lehmann's frustration for losing his place in first team squad to Manuel Almunia who is newcomer to the club. But saying that Almunia isn't better than him is not a good way of conduct in a team where good partnership and healthy friendship are main priority like Arsenal, while he is not performing that good.

Other players like Edu and Pennant are not different problem. Edu thinks that he would rather go to some Spanish clubs than seeing his first team squad taken by a 17-years old kid who apparently got his chance because both Gilberto and him, for God's sake, injured. And it's not in Wenger's agenda to play Cesc and Flamini that often. And Pennant thought that he should play larger role and frustrated that he doesn't get place when Freddie injured.

Wenger can't make everyone of his players happy because he had to do what he had to do. Wenger's long term goal is to establish a future squad of Arsenal by giving chances to young players, so even senior players like Pires or Bergkamp must accept the fact if someday their place is given to their juniors. But one thing for sure, Wenger never gets in his players' way if they want to go.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
sleeping dragon is so wise.

lehmann, doesnt know why his dropped? wat a fcking idiot, as well as a below average goalie

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Complaining won't help him out. I think we've just seen the last of Jens. He might be a good keeper but no one's bigger than the club and he just bought his ticket out from Highbury. Too bad it had to end this way. He could still have gone out proud but I assume he didn't realise that...
Such a pity.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
sleeping dragon is so wise.

lehmann, doesnt know why his dropped? wat a fcking idiot, as well as a below average goalie

i don't get it, last year he was in a side that was undefeated. its true that keepers face most criticism

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
With Wenger saying that he might leave in Summer and now Lehmann retaliating, its as clear as glass that something have wrong between them. :wth:

nEEbz

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cameroon internationl defender Lauren believes he deserves a two-year contract offer from Arsenal.
The 27-year-old defender's contract runs out at the end of the season, but the club have chosen to offer him just a one-year deal

Lauren told the Daily Mirror: "I've been with Arsenal for four years and I believe I've performed well enough to expect improvements in a new contract."

"I don't want preferential treatment. I just want the same as everybody else."

Lauren has linked with a transfer to Spanish giants Real Madrid, but the Arsenal defender hinted he would prefer to stay in England.

He said: "I have had offers from important Spanish clubs, but I am not using that to put pressure on Arsenal.

"If Wenger values me as much as he says he does, the club will have to make an effort.

"I want a quick solution in order to be able to play calmly for the key part of the season. I just want to concentrate on my work."

Arsenal usually only offer 12-month deals to players over 30, but boss Arsene Wenger insisted: "I don't think it shows a lack of respect."

"I understand where Lauren's coming from and I can understand his position.

"But I prefer it when negotiations are secret and you only come out when it is agreed or not. When things are made public, it is much more difficult."

------------------

Now Lauren is talking to the press. First he says "I have had offers from important Spanish clubs, but I am not using that to put pressure on Arsenal", then he says
"If Wenger values me as much as he says he does, the club will have to make an effort.

"I want a quick solution in order to be able to play calmly for the key part of the season".

Sounds like he's exerting pressure to me, and through the media too.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
I agree with Lauren. A one-year deal is a freaking joke and frankly, it's an insult to him. He has to be one of our most unsung heroes. How often does he come out into the media and shoot his mouth? Hardly ever. He just gets on with doing his job for the club week-after-week in a passionate manner (van Snideyface won't ever want to get on Lauren's bad side again) that can only be regarded as admirable.

And this is how he gets re-paid? A one-year deal at 27? That's an insult to Ralph. He deserves three-years.He's not asking for money either, he just wants a secure contract and he damn well deserves it!

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Realistically speaking,

can you tell me who else would love to buy him after all ? I mean rumours are rumours. I doubt inside out that Real Madrid would buy Lauren and same goes for so many presumably big clubs. I beleive if he stays stubborn either he'll end up in a bench of a big club or a starter of a mid table team.

But I know Wenger is just winding him up. He is gonna stay in Arsenal. Definetly !

nEEbz

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Perhaps Mrs. Lauren has something to do with it? I know he once said a few years ago he'd like to retire in Spain because I think his wife is Spanish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts