Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone watch that program with Szepesi?

For those who didn't here is a quick round up....

Chat with Jenei Imre and Gyulai Ilona.

His wife is an ethnic Hungarian too who won bronze for Romania in fencing during the 1968 Olympics. Hungary won silver :pp

They talked of course about the European cup victory :proud:

He said he was certain Bölöni would score a penalty in the shoot out. But he missed :)

But they still won :proud:

He also spoke about Kovács István. He said he was a sensational coach. He said he once asked him how he coached the great Ajax players of the 70s. He said "he just let them play" :D

Then he went on to speak about him being the coach of the Hungarian NT.

He said everything was in place. But the players had a problem mentality. They thought they were world beaters and that they won the match before the stepped on the pitch.

I dunno why, he looks scary...he would have made me play :scared:

Then they went back to talk about Bölöni. He called him a "serious footballer" and a "serious coach".

Big smile now Imre bácsi :happy:

:D

So I asked the question before but nobody answered. I was too young when he was NT coach and didn't have access to games anyway. So now we have some older members I'd like to know what they thought of his time in charge of Hungary. How do you think he did?

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I asked the question before but nobody answered. I was too young when he was NT coach and didn't have access to games anyway. So now we have some older members I'd like to know what they thought of his time in charge of Hungary. How do you think he did?

I guess some people just don't want to admit their age :)

·
Registered
57,880 Posts
he did crap. but maybe he just couldn't find his way to the players's minds. well, of course they were anything but "world beaters" to be honest.

but Puskás Öcsi also did crap and it was just after him.

Jenei's statistics though, from our point of view of now, doesn't look that bad.

14 games, 6 win, 4 draw, 4 defeat

but then the wins were against teams like Luxembourg and Katar and also mostly friendlies, although we beat Japan and Ukrajna with Jenei.

I think he got replaced by Puskás after 3 defeats in a row, Greece, Sweden, Russia, all in wc qualifiers.

IMO one of the better coaches we had since 1986 but unfortunately it's the players who are on the pitch.

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just watched an interview with him on Duna TV and he said when he watches Hungarian matches now it's like they are broadcasted in slow motion :howler:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts