Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be posting 5 questions every few days, mostly football related, but some from other sports as well. This weeks 5:

1. This is first line of X’s obituary in a newspaper

'“Look at that little fat chap. We’ll murder this lot.” In the long and inglorious annals of great British sporting disasters, few judgments have been wider of the mark.'

He began his career at the age of twelve and used the pseudonym Miklós Kovács to help circumvent the minimum age rules.

2. April 12 1995, v Crystal Palace
August 28 1995, v Blackburn
October 28 1995, v Middlesbrough
October 26 1996, v Southampton
April 14 1999, v Arsenal
February 12 2000, v Newcastle
August 13 2000, v Chelsea
April 21 2001, v Manchester City
September 15, 2001, v Newcastle
August 31, 2002, v Sunderland
February 25, 2003, v FC Porto

3. ________ FC was* originally established in 1899 . In May 2002, The FA allowed this club to relocate over 60 miles away from the city where it is based Which led to the formation of another club by the angry fans AFC_______.*

It was later taken over by Paul Winkelman who cut all ties with the area of ________, launching a new club in 2004, with a new badge, name and colors.

AFC does not stand for the usual " Association Football club" and it stands for nothing in particular though " A Fans Club" is also said to be the full form.

AFC _______ bought the Kingsmead stadium and renamed it as “ The fans stadium” in 2005.

4. Monkwearmouth Colliery (or Wearmouth Colliery) was a major North Sea coal mine located on the north bank of the River Wear . It was one of the most important mines in County Durham. It first opened in 1835.

The mine was the last to remain in the County Durham Coalfield and was finally closed in June 1994, ending over 800 years of commercial coal mining in the region.

The Colliery site was cleared a few years later, and the ________ was built over it , the name being an allusion to something the miners necessarily required .

5. X, a lifelong Hajduk Split fan, finally had his dream come true when he was offered a short-term contract in 2001, although he didn’t play any competitive games. He did however play in Zvonimir Boban’s last match against a team of international stars.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Is number 2 Manchester United? And is the answer to number 3 Wimbledon?

·
Registered
28,216 Posts
1. Ferenc Puskas
2. Man Utd but you're one year ahead with the Porto game, it was 2004
3. Wimbledon
4. Stadium of Light
5. Goran Ivanisevic

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2: Not exactly....

3: Spot on!!

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Ferenc Puskas
2. Man Utd but you're one year ahead with the Porto game, it was 2004
3. Wimbledon
4. Stadium of Light
5. Goran Ivanisevic
The answer's not a team, and the list's almost complete.

The rest are correct.

·
Registered
28,216 Posts
Ahh got it the Man City game gave it away...Red Cards for Keano

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep... My next set will be on in a couple of days

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Jefecito if you plan to continue this on a regular basis (say, weekly?) I can stick this thread for you if you like.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New Q's

1. This Argentine's favorite cartoon character was X-X. Once, his grandfather told him that he did indeed look like X-X, and the nickname X stuck.

2. After whose death did the Guardian publish a article saying "They'll probably call it 'the Matthews funeral'" ?

3. Which two teams always play in a 2-5-3 formation?

4. In 1942 England played Scotland and played them off the park in a 3-0 victory. The credit for this is largely given to, Matthews and Compton , the English wingers . They were simply unstoppable and the Scotland full backs had no answer for their pace and skill. Who were the Scottish full backs in that game?

5. Which clubs chairman once proclaimed "If the Titanic had been painted sky blue it would never have sunk"

As for stickying the thread, that would be great, I'll be posting every 7-8 days or so..

13,358 Posts
1. This Argentine's favorite cartoon character was X-X. Once, his grandfather told him that he did indeed look like X-X, and the nickname X stuck.

The answer is KUN AGUERO!:strong: in a particular language KUN means a thousand, so on his shirt it says: A THOUSAND AGUERO's:D It must have felt like that was true for Puyol and co.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2nd is Stan Mortensen, and the 1st is Kun Aguero, the cartoon was called Kum-Kum.

Since Rihanna's given two answers for the 5th, I won't say yet.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Are you looking for some kind of recognition. People like Dagoods worked hard to earn it so good like. Call it "World Football trivia thread" and you will see people respond. Well, just a friendly reminder

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Call it whatever you like as long as you get the words "trivia" and "thread" in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts