Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Sunday times today:

SKULDUGGERY, “adulterated” results, pitches prepared for sabotage, dubious pressure on referees. It is back: the Uefa Conspiracy League, an annual competition in which Chelsea play Barcelona and a manager cries foul. This year it is so far, so tame, a player accused of diving, a referee of erring, a lot of hot air. Sometimes you wonder if Jose Mourinho secretly longs for an era when European giants really did behave like pirates.

It was not so long ago, as the publication of memoirs by a former Olympique Marseille footballer, Jean-Jacques Eydelie, reminds us. Eydelie is notorious for his part in the 1993 bribe scandal that got him a two-year ban, put the then Marseille president, Bernard Tapie, in prison and damaged the image of a club which, six days after trying to buy a result against Valenciennes, won the European Cup.

The scandal still fascinates in its detail: an opposition player’s wife receives an envelope from Eydelie on the eve of the game; a Valenciennes player spills the beans moments before kick-off; a package containing 250,000 francs is later dug up in a footballer’s garden. In another era, Eydelie’s story could have been ghosted by Georges Simenon.

Tapie, who once aspired to high political office and may still do so, had been impatient to read Eydelie’s book. Two days before its release, a Paris judge turned down Tapie’s application to see the manuscript. The pre-publicity for I Don’t Play Any More: A Footballer Breaks The Omerta had been scorching. Eydelie told L’Equipe magazine that attempted match-fixing was “second nature at

OM”, and revisited a pair of games against CSKA Moscow during the triumphant European Cup campaign. Before the away match, he claims: “Our officials got hold of the Moscow team’s packs of water. With a big smile, they used a syringe with a very thin needle to inject I-don’t-know- what through the caps of the bottles.” The game finished 1-1.

At the second meeting, Eydelie alleges: “We saw the Russian players shitting themselves for having drunk a drugged drink.” Marseille won it 6-0.

Eydelie, a professional for 17 years with nine clubs in three countries — he even made a brief stop at Walsall — claims to have been aware of doping at all but one of his employers. He has alleged that before the European Cup final, when Marseille beat Milan 1-0 in Munich, the team had been told to line up to receive injections — one angry player, Rudi Voller, apparently refused — adding: “During the game, I felt different from usual.”

It needs pointing out that the two Marseille players routinely dope-tested after the 1993 final, goalkeeper Fabien Barthez and full-back Eric di Meco, both returned negative samples.

Those of Eydelie’s colleagues who have responded to the fresh claims are speaking with one voice. Voller found his memory unstirred by Eydelie’s description of the pre-final injections: “Everything Eydelie says is unbelievable.” Marcel Desailly said: “We were never lined up for jabs. In every club you take vitamins or products to help recovery. That’s not doping.”

Desailly livened up his 2002 book, Capitaine, with this vignette of Tapie’s methods in the dressing room: “The boss took out a box of medicines and handed it to me. Didier Deschamps read a warning on it, something like, ‘Above certain doses this medicine can be considered a doping substance for high-level sportsmen’.

“Didier looked at the boss, ‘What’s this?’ ‘No problem, it’s just a matter of dosage’. The boss took the bottle, swallowed one pill, then another.”

and a related article

PARIS (AFP) - Revelations of doping before Marseille's 1993 European Champions League victory, according to former player Jean-Jacques Eydelie, brought concern from European football's governing body UEFA.

Eydelie, who played in their 1-0 final victory over AC Milan in Munich, said in Saturday's L'Equipe magazine the players received an injection before the match though, in his case, he said it hindered rather than helped him.

UEFA have not yet opened an inquiry, and their own rules state that after 10 years have passed, doping and corruption cases are not looked into.

However UEFA said in a statement: "UEFA have noted and are very concerned by the recent comments from the former player (...) talking of alleged doping before the final of the Champions League in Munich in 1993.

"UEFA however will take a very close look at the matter although a great deal of time has passed since the match."

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani said: "It's hard to read these kinds of things and I'm certain UEFA will open an inquiry. I am shocked and find these remarks disturbing. If these allegations prove to be true, the result of the match should be nullified."

However Eydelie's former teammate on that fateful evening, Franck Sauzee, said he was considering legal action following the remarks.

"I have seen my lawyer and I will not accept being tarnished in this way," Sauzee told French television. "All will be done to hit back at this person who would do better to think clearly before making these statements."

Makes you sick doesn't it? :frustrat:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
Makes you sick doesn't it? :frustrat:
Not as sick as the CSKA Moscow players. :D

All the rumours pointed to something being wrong but I didn't think someone would actually come out and admit it. There is nothing that can be done now about it as far as we are concerned but it is still annoying.

UEFA should strip them of their title and either call it a void year or give the title to Milan.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Pretty cruel twist of fate where we're concerned, but it was a long time ago now. A lot of these continental sides have consistently used every trick in the book to cheat their way to victories. It begs the question if they were really that good, why need to?

Anyhoo, I like to look forward and not back. That's the only way folks, as annoying as this all is.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Is this an excerpt from Eydelies book?Ive been trying to find a copy of it everywhere,doesnt help when I dont know what its called right enough!!!

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I think I read somewhere it doesn't get released till tomorrow. Looked on Amazon but I don't see it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts