1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WORLD CUP MYTHS: ARGENTINA ARE THE DEVIL INCARNATE

Tuesday May 07 2002
By Dave Harding

There's only one thing wrong with the demise of Germany as a football power: who are we supposed to hate now?

In reality though, many of us have not had to look very hard to find a replacement. Step forward Argentina.

A bigger bunch of cocaine-sniffing, ball-punching, dubious-winning, girlie-haired bunch of bandits would be hard to find.

Wince at the memory of their 1978 triumph which helped keep a military junta in power for several more years. Seethe about the Hand Of God (though why no-one asked what Steve Hodge was up to attempting an overhead back pass from the edge of the area, I don't know). Still laugh, very loud, at the thought of Dennis Bergkamp's last-minute winner in Marseille four years ago.

Loathed equally in parts of South America and Europe, the general view is that Argentinians have about as much charm as Ray Stubbs and are as universally popular as the play-offs are in Wolverhampton.

If you doubt this, try wearing an Argentina shirt while walking down a High Street next month.

In short, Argentina are the Manchester United of international football without the, er, charisma.

So instead of 'Two World Wars and one World Cup' for English fans to crow about it is now 'One short war and one World Cup'.

The trouble is that this is all... well, a bit harsh.

Look beyond the cynicism and you will see Argentina as a beautiful footballing nation.

They have a great history ­(twice winners of the World Cup, twice runners-up), a great present day side and the chance of a fine future.

Each tournament sees them involved in some of the best games and most controversial moments - against England at France 98, Maradona and his drug-eyed stare in USA 94, beating Italy in the 1990 semi-final, Maradona's 1986 brilliance. The list could go on and on.

As the aforementioned Stubbs might say: "You can't take your eyes off these boys for a second."

They breezed home in their qualifying group and have one of the most exciting line-ups in world football. They are one of the few genuine challengers to France this time.

There's Claudio Lopez, Ariel Ortega, Hernan Crespo, Gabriel Batistuta and Javier Zanetti. Oh yeah, and Kily Gonzalez, Pablo Aimar and Javier Saviola aren't too dodgy either.

And that Seba Veron (copyright Clive Tyldesley) boy can play a bit too, especially since he seems to have taken the last half of this season off.

And to think we are basing our hopes on the state of Kieron Dyer's dodgy shins.

In short, a World Cup without Argentina is no tournament at all.

Don't despise Argentina next month.

Embrace them, cheer them on. You might even try loving them.

When England go out (be honest, you know they will) you could do worse than rooting for Argentina.

Quietly.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
In 1970 there was no Argenitna.....and what a great football we all saw from 5 great teams : Brazil;) :tongue: , Italy, Germany, Uruguay and England!

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
In 1970 there was no Argenitna.....and what a great football we all saw from 5 great teams : Brazil;) :tongue: , Italy, Germany, Uruguay and England!
As a Brazilian ofcourse you will say that...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ha,ham,ha this coming from th Nt that has the most hated player in the world: the girly Beckham....

Oh my God i can't wait until June 7th when we defeat this bastards.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
And to think that players such as Riquelme, Saviola, Solari, Gustavo Lopez, D'Alessandro, Cambiasso, Romeo, Milito, Crosa, Mendez, Saja amongst many others have been left out tells us the great depth that Argentina have today.

I've mentioned Saviola, Solari and G.Lopez as I don't think they will ultimately make it though we'll know with certainty this weekend if any of these theree players will be picked.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Fouad-daman said:
A bigger ... girlie-haired bunch of bandits would be hard to find.
We should all go out and buy long wigs to wear during the matches! (well, not me, I have a natural one). I remember during WC94 when dozens of Colombia supporters in the stands were wearing big blonde frizzy Carlos Valderrama wigs! It was great.

note to administration: We need a smilie with a long wig. :cool:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its like they're all compensating for the strict haircut policy of passarella.

Its amazing how much hair you can grow in 4 years!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great piece of reporting;) I also read that Canniggia was in fact injured by an English player, maybe we can launch an investigation to find out if he is related to any pirates from the past or if he is related to those responsible for atrocities commited by the English empire:D

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Interesting article:D

I will be going for Argentina when Turkey and the US will bow out;)

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Fouad-daman said:
WORLD CUP MYTHS: ARGENTINA ARE THE DEVIL INCARNATE

Tuesday May 07 2002
By Dave Harding

There's only one thing wrong with the demise of Germany as a football power: who are we supposed to hate now?

In reality though, many of us have not had to look very hard to find a replacement. Step forward Argentina.

:groan:

I also read that Canniggia was in fact injured by an English player
if im not wrong, it was chris sutton.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts