Xtratime Community banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm glad we lost to Panthers, just get the misery over and done with. Unless something is changed with our spine, we won't be playing finals next season.
talk is that Noel Cleal has gone, that we are negotiating with Foran, and there will be a shake up in the football department... but even so, 2017 will be much like 2016 and we will struggle to make finals

Des will be under a lot of pressure next year

Rooting for the Raiders all the way out of the 4 left.
i didn't even like Ricky Stuart when he played for the 'Dogs much less now coaching the Raiders... but i must say, he has done a very good job turning them around... very astute signings (eg. Sezer, Austin, Leilua)

not that i am rooting for them, but if the Cowboys win again, Thurston's place among the all time greats will make for an interesting discussion

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
for me, not yet... people forget now just how dominant the likes of Mortimer, Sterling, Langer, Stuart, Kenny, Fittler and Daley were and they never really got that high in such discussions

i usually find people too quick to jump on such an accolade for a player... for example, a couple years back, every Channel 9 commentator was saying Billy Slater was the best ever fullback... a couple years later and Slater injury ridden and the Storm still top of the table with Munster in the no. 1 jersey, those statements have been silenced

but another premiership for Thurston with all his other achievements individually and with QLD and Australia, and who knows

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
I agree with you about JT, just saying what I hear and see on media.

They still do say that about Slater, might have died down a little.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
preliminary finals coming up with the Storm hosting the Raiders and the Sharks hosting the Cowboys... by the end of the regular season, these four teams were the best and deserve to have gotten this far

Storm v Cowboys for me to play out the GF

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
and then there were two... i assumed the Cowboys would get thru to another GF but the Sharks well deserve their place in the decider

the Raiders will look back on 2016 as an opportunity missed considering just how potent they looked in attack and the opportunities missed against the Storm (Edrick Lee in particular made 3 crucial errors that could and should have led to points)

the GF will make for an interesting clash between the control of the Storm and the grind of the Sharks... Maloney is in the best form of his career

41 - 47 of 47 Posts