Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Lol @THE thread title. At least this system is an incentive for less cyclical acts.

·
Administrator
30,460 Posts
the funny thing is how fair play awarded a team that ended doing exactly the oposite of fair play.

Canadians just found their way to win.

·
Registered
32,048 Posts
So they got 2nd place thanks to having less yellow cards than Senegal :D

Has something like this ever happened before?
Is the rule even new? I don't recall people making such a fuzz about them at earlier finals. The usual tie breakers applied here, but didn't suffice: Goal difference, goals scored, head-to-head. I remember Norway were eliminated on fewer goals scored than Ireland, Italy and Mexico in 1994, but it never came down to yellow cards there so it's very rare.

·
Registered
32,048 Posts
the funny thing is how fair play awarded a team that ended doing exactly the oposite of fair play.

Canadians just found their way to win.
Well, in the Champions League, say, you don't play to win the away game if you won the home game 3-0 and are now trailing 1-0 away. You play to avoid a 3-0 defeat.

·
Administrator
30,460 Posts
At least you have to play to defend it. (Senegal kind paid the price for doing it and not pushing Colombia since the begining). This sittuation is more close to Italy-Mexico game a few cups ago.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
In 1990 Holland and Ireland were equal on points, goal difference and goals. Ireland was given the 2nd place, Holland the 3rd, I don't know based on what but I guess coin toss maybe?

It proved important though, Holland played a group winner, Germany, and was knocked out. Ireland played Romanians who finished 2nd after Cameroon in their group and advanced to the quarterfinals.

·
Registered
69,200 Posts
Is the rule even new? I don't recall people making such a fuzz about them at earlier finals. The usual tie breakers applied here, but didn't suffice: Goal difference, goals scored, head-to-head. I remember Norway were eliminated on fewer goals scored than Ireland, Italy and Mexico in 1994, but it never came down to yellow cards there so it's very rare.
This is the first World Cup where they introduced the "Fair Play points" for a tie-break...if this incident happened in 2014 it would have been determined by draw.

I don't know what else they could do...if Japan-Senegal played on the final day I guess they could go straight to penalties. I've thought about possibly having Japan-Senegal do a one off penalty shootout but it would be a logistical nightmare, though more money for FIFA :D

·
Administrator
11,698 Posts
Some other stat like total shots on target would be better and relatively more practical.

Long ago I had the idea of settling, instead of shoot outs, knockout games based on previous three results (a quarter final that is tied after 120 is decided by result of round of 16 and last two group games, etc.) It works ok too but inside group stage 'last 3 games' is same of course.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts