Semi-finals
2009-12-29
15:00 Gamba Osaka - Vegalta Sendai National Stadium, Tokyo

2009-12-29
13:00 Shimizu S-Pulse - Nagoya Grampus Shizuoka Stadium, Fukuroi

Final
2010-01-01
14:00 】 National Stadium, Tokyo
Some familiar names but who the hell are Vegalta Sendai?

Important semi for the 2 sides below. Both haven't qualified for the Champions League and could do with getting the last ticket to that competition

#2 · (Edited)
Thanks for opening this.

Vegalta Sendai were playing in the Japanese second division this season. However, they've been promoted, meaning that if they upset the odds, they'll be allowed to participate in the Asian Champions League.

A cup winner remaining in J2 is denied entry, though.

History

Founded in 1988 as Tohoku Electric Power Co., Inc. Soccer Club, Vegalta joined the J-League in 1999 after playing a few years in the JFL, with the nickname Brummell Sendai, to which they had been promoted in 1995 from the Tohoku Regional League. When joining the J-League, the name Vegalta was chosen as a homage to the famous Tanabata festival in Sendai. The names of the two celestial stars of the Tanabata legend, Vega and Altair were combined to form Vegalta.

They were first promoted to the top flight in 2002, but went back down the following season. They were promoted again for the 2010 season.

Fan Song

Like most Japanese football clubs, their fans are to be heard singing and dancing throughout the match; but, most of the songs used by fans of other clubs are eschewed in favor of a more eclectic set. The club's theme, sung before every game, is Take Me Home, Country Roads, while during the game altered lyrics are sung to the tunes of The Lambrusco Kid by the Toy Dolls, Blitzkrieg Bop, and other songs by KISS and Twisted Sister.

#5 ·
looks like they're having a good time.

Many people mock Korean or Japanese supporters but I'd rather have them than the yobbos supporting my own Feyenoord.

#6 · (Edited)
I notice it too. Especially the treatment is reserved for the Korean fans, the style they go about supporting their team is seen as "plastic." At least that's my perception. Is it because the chanting is so incessant, those critical think of them as robots, not capable of being critical of those representing their shirt? Well, it's just another culture.

And yeah, hearing those fans go off is just great. For example in the Asian Champions League quarter-final between Urawa and Gamba, second leg, Urawa trailed 1-3 on the night and 4-2 on aggregate. Their fans were still going crazy, still cheering... and in the thread, the responses were "they're still going off! Fair credit that." "Yeah that's nicely done, they are superb fans though."

#8 ·
Done :pp

Forgot I had made a transfers thread :eek:

#10 ·
yes, now work :fero: lol

PMed Zhuge btw. hoping he'll have time to drop by if he's still interested.

The more we have the merrier :stuckup:

#12 ·
Nah rather be a Dick Cheney or Putinlike godfather in the background lol but yeah, as long as there's no one better based in Asia, I might take the role until that person takes over.

I hardly watch any Asian football though. Only watched bits and pieces of North Korea in the WC qualifiers, 1 or 2 J league clips and the Pohang Steelers live in the World Club tournament and that's about it for me when it comes to my Asian football viewing of the past 12 months lol

#14 ·
Eurosport 2 did but I don't receive it anymore :(

Eurosport 1 which I do still get did show some of the WC qualifiers live and all the highlights.

#15 ·
Our J-League coverage isn't great. If you subscribe to FOXTEL you're given a half hour highlights package with all the goals but very little else in the way of build-up, and of course Japanese teams can play it very nice when they want to. Asian Champions League coverage is another chance, when A-League clubs face J-League opponents. But no rights to full J-League matches on any channel. You can find stuff on the 'net, of course.

#21 ·
I must say after watching Gamba dismantle Adelaide United last year in the ACL Final I became a supporter, they play very neat stuff. I used to like Urawa RD as well because of their great support and Tulio but he's no longer there.

And Endo, well the guy plays purely on talent and footballing knowledge, he doesn't need physical attributes to cover up his technical shortcomings.

#27 ·
First half over, 1-1. Entertaining match. Started sluggishly but didn't take long for them to pass it around better. Gamba scored within ten minutes, a lovely move ending with Lucas. He scores in another final. Overall I think Gamba have been more polished with more chances although saying that Nagoya equalised towards the end! The ball was sent into the box and Kennedy used his height advantage to send the ball in the direction of his strike partner to make it 1-1. Again the fans have been great, both chanting, it's a sunny day in Tokyo and I'm enjoying these wacky Japanese ads on the stream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.