Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five days from now Sweden will play their last friendly before the WC against one of the co-host teams, Japan.
Lets keep predictions and match reports to this thread, please :)

My own prediction is as follows:

If Sweden will play players that were missing against Paraguay, like Ljungberg, Mellberg and Svensson, I think a win is a must! Not only coz we've not been very convincing the passed games, and the selfconfidence of the players would get a needed boost before the game against England :excited:

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he needs to play, so he can get the rhythm of the NT's way of playing in him. Coz it differs a bit from the way he plays in Arsenal. And he hasn't played in the NT for very long now.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
mellberg-andersson-mjällby-lukic
--m.svensson--linderoth
---------a.svensson----ljungberg
----allbäck--------larsson

Well am happy with everthing but the defence:rolleyes:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
International Friendly Preview: Japan-Sweden
Japan - Sweden | News Archive

05/24/2002. BACKGROUND

This friendly represents the last chance that the coaches of Japan and Sweden have to tinker with team tactics and selection.

Japan coach Philippe Troussier has come under fire for a series of shock exclusions from his final 23. He has, however, defended his decisions, saying: "This team is perfectly in balance, technically, tactically, physically and mentally." The doubts, though, still persist.

Against Norway, in the 3-0 defeat, Japan held out until the 72nd minute before a landslide in the closing stages. Troussier claimed his surprise selections had nothing to do with the collapse but one can't help but wonder.

The Frenchman has admitted that he isn't taking the friendly at all seriously and sees it more as a chance to give all 23 players a run out.

If any proof were needed as to just how wound up Sweden are for this World Cup, it was seen at first hand on Thursday morning when Olof Mellberg and Fredrik Ljungberg were involved in a training ground bust-up. The Arsenal midfielder reacted angrily to a very late challenge from the Aston Villa man and the pair proceeded to scrap right in the middle of the training session.

"You can't tolerate tackles like that, you have to respond," said Ljungberg. Quite what this will do to team spirit remains to be seen, although the likelihood is that it'll blow over as most of these things do. It better do. It's no secret that Sweden rely on their team-spirit and organisation more than most other sides in the competition.

SQUADS

Japan- Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi (Portsmouth), Seigo Narazaki (Nagoya Grampus Eight), Hitoshi Sogahata (Kashima Antlers), Yutaka Akita (Kashima), Toshihiro Hattori (Jubilo Iwata), Ryuzo Morioka (Shimizu), Tsuneyasu Miyamoto (Gamba Osaka), Naoki Matsuda (Yokohama Marinos), Koji Nakata (Kashima), Hiroaki Morishima (Cerezo Osaka), Takashi Fukunishi (Jubilo Iwata), Hidetoshi Nakata (Parma), Alessandro Santos (Shimizu S-Pulse), Kazuyuki Toda (Shimizu), Tomokazu Myojin (Kashiwa Reysol), Mitsuo Ogasawara (Kashima), Junichi Inamoto (Arsenal), Shinji Ono (Feyenoord), Daisuke Ichikawa (Shimizu), Masashi Nakayama (Jubilo Iwata), Takayuki Suzuki (Kashima), Akinori Nishizawa (Cerezo Osaka), Atsushi Yanagisawa (Kashima).

Sweden- HEdman (Coventry City), Kihlsted (FC Copenhagen), Isaksson (Djurgarden), Mellberg (Aston Villa), Mjallby (Celtic), Patrik Andersson (Barcelona), Michael Svensson (Troyes), Jacobsson (Hansa Rostock), Antonelius (FC Copenhagen), Edman (Heerenveen), Lucic (AIK), Alexandersson (Everton), Linderoth (Everton), Ljungberg (Arsenal), Magnus Svensson (Brondby), Jonson (Brondby), Daniel Andersson (Venezia), Pontus Farnerud (Monaco), Anders Svensson (Southampton), Larsson (Celtic), Allback (Heerenveen), Ibrahimovic (Ajax), Andreas Andersson (AIK)

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Hidetoshi Nakata (Japan)- the national team's only world class player? Surely. Feyenoord's Shinji Ono is improving all the time but Troussier will be looking to the Parma man for inspiration. Unlike many of the potential stars of the competition Nakata won't be overly fatigued as he has featured only sparingly for the Gialloblu. Japan may reap the rewards of an injury hit season.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Sweden)- the Arsenal midfielder is now talked about in the same breath as Magnus Hedman, Patrik Andersson and Henrik Larsson in terms of overall contribution. His superbly timed runs were a constant feature of his excellent second-half to the season with Arsenal, and the Sweden coaches must ensure they are used to good effect in Japan and South Korea.

SOCCERAGE PREDICTION

The sheer volume of changes that the coaches will make ensures that it's almost impossible to predict a winner so a draw looks the most likely outcome.

Japan Win 25%
Draw 40%
Sweden Win 35%

soccerage

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I think the game will most likely end in a draw. Probably 1-1. I believe Sweden has to play all their players so they can become accustomed with the conditions in Japan. They have trained in the conditions, now they must learn how to play a real game.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well I was right :D

It finished 1-1, with Allback scoring the opening goal in the 20th minute. Sweden led 1-0 at half time. Not sure who scored Japan's equaliser.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
TOKYO, May 25 (AFP)
Sweden dug their own grave as they watched their one goal advantage tumbled into a 1-1 draw with Japan through an own goal on Saturday in their last warm-up match for the World Cup finals.

The equalizer came in the 63rd minute when second-half substitute Alessandro Santos, better known as "Alex," sent the ball from the left midfield to the Swedish goal mouth.

The pass missed the target, but defender Johan Mjallby, coming back to save it, failed to hit back and the ball landed in the net.
The Swedes, who suffered their first loss in almost two years when they lost to Paraguay 1-0 a week ago, earlier took the lead in the 20th minute.

Henrik Larsson produced the last pass from the left to the Japanese goal mouth, where Heerenveen forward Marcus Allback struck home past hapless keeper Seigo Narazaki.

The visitors had another chance in the 59th minute when Arsenal midfielder Fredrik Ljungberg dribbled through to the Japanese area and unleashed a sizzling shot from the edge, only to see Narazaki dived to punch out the shot.

The Japanese threatened the Swedish goal several times to excite a sell-out crowd at the National Stadium, but they were never able to create a clear scoring chance.

Parma midfielder Hidetoshi Nakata's shot on a free kick just outside the area in the 14th minute hit a defender, while four minutes later he quickly collected a rebound to fire a long shot, which was caught by keeper Magnus Hendman.

Hiroaki Morishima's header from close range in the 42nd minute was too blunt for Hendman to miss, while Takayuki Suzuki missed another header in the 53rd minute.

Sweden, who will play a Miyazaki prefecture selection in a practice game on May 27, were drawn in the so-called "Group of Death" against England, one of the top favourites Argentina, and Nigeria in Group F.

Japan, co-hosts of the finals with South Korea, will take on Belgium at the Saitama stadium in their first match on June 4 before playing Russia and Tunisia in Group H.

It was also Japan's last warm-up game in their eight-game preparation series, winding up with three wins, two defeats and three draws.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't see the game myself, but I guess it was as usual. We produced one or two chances, scored on one of them.
But usually we win 1-0, thanx to a lot of luck AND a strong defence.
Ever since Bjärred got injured our defence has been a bit shaky, Paraguay game and the own goal is a pretty clear proof to that :sigh:
Atleast nice to see Allbäck score.
Did anyone see the game? Did they show it on TV at all :confused:

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
I saw the game(Kanal 5).

First half was awfull till the goal...but the goal was suberb :)
But as I sad, till then not much was going right...the defenders lost their positions and got very far down on our own half.

Magnus Svensson, who got the chance to start the game as right-mid, unluckily got injured and Alexandersson subbed him.
I was really looking forward to see Magnus as Alex has been playing really poor lately with the lamest shots I ever seen :(
And what happens? He comes in and is playing poor and shoot extremly lame...again :(
I really hope Magnus Svensson isnt badly injured and can start against England...
One reason is Ljungberg, Freddie was going all over the pitch today and thats why we need a defensiv good player like Magnus Svensson on the pitch...

So back to the game now, the 2:nd half was much better and they created pretty much even though Japan still was playing good and fast.
But if we take the 2:nd half with us into the England game it looks promosing...because we had some good pacy combinitions....

Zlatan got in in pretty early but didnt have that many balls to work with, Lucic was ok as left-defender and I reckon he will start against England even though I prefer Edman...

So to sum it up: Some positive things in the 2:nd half, the rest we should forget as fast as possible...

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
I actually thought Lucic sucked big time in this match. I couldn´t keep count on how many times he was losing position when defending a cross from the Japanese players. He is supposed to move central then and mark a player. Sure, he moved central but which guy did he mark? :confused:
I liked him more as a right back against Paraguay honestly. He was just very poor defensively today IMO.

The conclusion about this match is that we should work on keeping position on defending crosses. That was the major issue I had with this match. :)

And yeah, Alexandersson was being embarassing and I´ve never seen Anders Svensson this invisible either. We practically had no midfield whatsoever. :eek:

And once again Larsson shows that he is more of a passer than a goalscorer. :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Its quite pathetic that Edman isnt prefered over Lukic.
Is it only a age issue:confused::rolleyes:

He plays in a better league, and is rated much better, and most importantly he is a left defender.

Lars/Tommy should know by now that you have to play with at least one sidedefender that is contructive:rolleyes:
Or all the opponets have to do is high pressing.

Anders Svensson was ok, he had some nice though balls as well as he kept the ball in the team well.
However he should have 2 midfielders behind him, otherwise we will lose midifeld like today.

It would have gone much better if M.Svensson been on the picth, i think...cuse the midfield today looked rather weak physically.

That Alexandersson once again is given a chance, is beyond me
:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts