Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
January's proved to be a pretty mixed bag, on and off the field. We're out of the Cup, but still right in there in the all-important race for the championship. Here's how the games went;

1. January 1st @ Dundee United (1-1) - Namouchi levels in the final minute with a little help from Klos, after McCracken put United ahead early on.

2. January 9th @ Celtic (1-2) - Two sloppy mistakes in central defence are clinically punished by Sutton & Hartson. Ricksen's 2nd-half equaliser had given us hope in between.

3. January 15th v Dunfermline (3-0) - Predictable stroll for the light blues, Thompson providing the early initiative before Andrews and Rae made the game safe.

4. January 23rd @ Aberdeen (2-1) - Strangely enough, Aberdeen were up for this one. Two early goals via Prso & McNaughton's o.g. should have led to a comfortable victory, but Mackie's quick reply set up a hard fought battle for the remainder of the match.

5. January 29th v Livingston (3-0) - Second home match of the month, second stroll in the park. Prso opened the scoring early on, only for Roddy McKenzie to put up strong resistance against Rangers dominance. Finally, goals from Ricksen & Novo sealed the match.

Last months top man Marvin Andrews has to be ruled out for his Old Firm performance alone. Personally, I think the two guys to be considered for January are Dado Prso and Fernando Ricksen.

Dado often finds himself playing slightly out of position, but his work-rate and determination are a credit to the man. Supposedly not a natural goalscorer, the big man's been putting the ball away regularly enough for me. In January, he opened the scoring twice as well, which is often the most important goal to score.

Fernando has been solid all season and had another good month. He doesn't often go missing in games, unlike some of our other midfielders, and chipped in with a couple of goals this month as well.

I'll see what you guys reckon before making my decision.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I'd agree with both those two guys. It's hard to split them but i suppose we are going to have to.

Fernando has added goals to his game this month. He's never been prolific from midfield when it comes to scoring but the one against Celtic did get us back in the game for a bit and the one against Livi was top notch.

Along with Klos he has been our most consistant performer this season and playing his best football since arriving at Ibrox. Makes it all the more silly that he was put to right back for the Auxerre game.

Prso has impressed me all season too. Leads the line inredibly well despite on occassions being made to play on his own. In the last two games in particular I think he has been fantastic. I really think the big man is highly underrated and a major player for us.

I'll go for Ricksen though for scoring as many goals as the front two this month on top of his consistent performances.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I thought big Dado was fasntastic last month in particular. For a guy so big, he has great feet and holds the ball up incredibly well. He gives 100% and is fast becoming a favourite of mine. I think he brings far more to the team than Novo does, but a lot of that may be due to Eck's positioning of Novo.

Fernando is just class. He has grown up by about 10 years since last summer it seems and is vital to the team too.

For player of the month though, not season, my vote goes to Dado, just ahead of Marv, Klos and Ricksen. Long live the ponytailed one!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm edging towards Prso as well. Unfortunately for Ricksen, a lot of his work probably goes unnoticed.

So we've got 3 votes for Prso, one for Ricksen, and one for Esson. Looks like Dado Prso is the Rangers XT Player of the Month for January. Who's turn is it to buy the trophy?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Not Murray's turn anyway, he's rooked. I'll but it this month and send it on to the big man- honest :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts