Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moyes has said that he would rather put the Money he has in the bank than Spend for the sake of Spending.

MOYES WARNS FANS
Friday 24 Dec 2004

David Moyes has warned the Everton faithful that the players he wants may not be available during the transfer window.

DAVID MOYES Moyes is anxious to get the right type of player in and not waste any of the cash he has got, on a player who would upset the great spirit in the camp.

"We will look very closely at who we bring in. There is unity and team spirit here, and we would not want to disrupt that," said Moyes.

"I have been given indications that the players that would interest me are probably not going to be available at this time of year."

He added: "We are going to make signings in January, but it can only be done if it is the right players - partly to do with the types they are as well as their talent.

"It would be unwise to waste any cash. We have some, and it was not long ago that we didn't have any - so we are not going to be like a kid in a sweet shop and buy anything."

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One of Moyes's players he has wanted to sign is Beattie and it looks as though Southampton may be resigned to losing him.

SMITH HINTS AT BEATTIE EXIT
Southampton assistant manager Jim Smith has admitted that the club could be forced to sell striker James Beattie to raise funds for new signings at St Mary's.
Speaking after the 0-0 draw with Charlton Athletic, Smith said: “We want to keep James as long as we can.

"He’s a little bit short of match sharpness but you would have to speak to the chairman about the fact that possibly selling someone would give us the ammunition to bring in the three, four or five quality players we require.

“That might have to be the avenue we unfortunately have to go down.”

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Toffees turn to Yakubu

Toffees turn to Yakubu
by Graeme Bailey - Last Updated 28 Dec 2004

http://skysports.planetfootball.com...=Toffees+turn+to+Yakubu&channel=Football_Home

EXCLUSIVE
Skysports.com can confirm that Everton have joined the race for Portsmouth striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni.

David Moyes is keen to bolster his strike-force in the January transfer window and will try and test Pompey's resolve.

A bid of around £6 million would be very hard for Portsmouth to turn down and Everton are seemingly set to receive the finances which would make such an offer viable.

The Toffees do have other irons in the fire with James Beattie and possibly even Fernando Morientes in their sights, but there are a host of clubs chasing them and Everton could easily miss out - hence their interest in Aiyegbeni.

Merseyside rivals Liverpool are also believed to be considering Aiyegbeni, but they too have other options and may well explore different avenues first.

Everton, though, hold Aiyegbeni in high regard and could look to seal a quick deal as it looks increasingly likely that the Nigerian will be leaving Fratton Park next month.

Skysports.com understand, though, there are at least four Premiership clubs ready to fight it out with Everton for his signature.

Leading agent Barry Silkman - Aiyegbeni's representative - confirmed there is concrete interest in his charge.

"There are a number of clubs showing an interest," Silkman told skysports.com.

"I don't want to get specific, but it is pretty strong - although the matter is up to Portsmouth to decide.

"Yakubu is an ambitious player and has done a wonderful job for Portsmouth, which is why there is such interest in him."

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
£6 million!? Seems a bit excessive to me. Isn't Yakubu a bit hit and miss? I'm sure there are better forwards available for around £6 million.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
as i seen the match yesterday, everton need more than a striker..what i mean is , bent and cahill not strong enuff to give it a go and fight with strong defender in the Premiership. yakubu is good option but i prefer big and strong ones, the likes of beattie or anelka, he has a balance and speed.

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
Yakubu is NOT worth £6m! More like £2m..

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Villa and Everton battle for Beattie
Fri 31 Dec, 7:19 PM

view photo
LONDON (AFP) - Aston Villa and Everton are locked in a six-million-pound battle for Southampton striker James Beattie, the Villa chairman Doug Ellis revealed.

Ellis said that Everton, pressing for a Champions League place, have matched his offer and it is now up to the 26-year-old to decide where he wants to go when the transfer window opens on Saturday.

"It's up now to the club to give us the authority to meet the boy and draw up a contract if he wishes to come," Ellis told the BBC.

Newcastle are also believed to be in the hunt for the England forward.

Beattie's sale is expected to fund Southampton manager Harry Redknapp's plans to buy the players he needs to boost the club's relegation fight.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Wasn't Mark Van Bommel linked with you guys?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think almost everone was reported to be linked with Everton at one time or another But I think Moyes may also renew intrest in McCarthy from Porto

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Everton close on striker Beattie

Everton have edged ahead in the race to sign Southampton's James Beattie after having a £6m offer accepted.

Southampton have not officially confirmed the deal, but BBC Sport understands chairman Rupert Lowe has given Everton permission to open talks.

Aston Villa have also made an offer, but sources in Southampton suggest the bid is lower than Everton's.

Southampton will receive £4.5m if the 26-year-old signs for Everton, with £1.5m going to former club Blackburn.

Aston Villa face a Football Association hearing in January, when they will deny a charge of making an illegal approach for the striker.

But chairman Doug Ellis insists Villa are still in the hunt for Beattie, although Southampton have not given the Midlanders permission to talk to the player.

"It's up now to the club to give us the authority to meet the boy and draw up a contract if he wishes to come," Ellis told BBC Five Live.

Beattie's sale is expected to fund Southampton manager Harry Redknapp's plans to buy the players he needs to boost the club's relegation fight.

He has already been linked to Liverpool duo Stephane Henchoz and Igor Biscan.

Following the loss to Liverpool on Tuesday, Redknapp said: "We need to bring a couple of defenders in, a couple of midfield players and maybe even a frontman."

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Beatie has agreed to Everton's terms. And is scheduled for a physical Monday

Beattie Agrees Everton Move
Sun 02 Jan, 8:09 PM

Southampton striker James Beattie is set to join Everton after agreeing personal terms with the Goodison Park club.

Everton announced on Sunday they are poised to pay a club-record £6million for the England international and the Merseysiders hope to complete the move with a medical on Monday.

Aston Villa had also been interested in signing Beattie but appear to have lost out to their Premiership rivals. Everton's official website reported: "James Beattie is poised to become Everton's record signing after agreeing personal terms on a move to Goodison Park.

"The 26-year old has decided that his future lies on Merseyside and he looks set to put pen to paper within the next couple of days."

Beattie joined Saints from Blackburn in 1998, scoring 76 goals in 233 appearances and earning England recognition.

Southampton boss Harry Redknapp had indicated his willingness to offload Beattie to provide finance for a January recruitment drive.

That alerted both Everton and Villa, who are both keen to strengthen small squads during the transfer window. Former Everton stalwart Graeme Sharp welcomed the move but warned Kevin Campbell and Duncan Ferguson they could be shipped out to make room for the new signing.

He told Sky Sports News: "We've been crying out for a decent forward but a player of the class of James Beattie, you've got to be interested.

"What you're getting is a proven goalscorer in the Premier League. I think James Beattie will be a good signing for Everton."

He added: "I think their (Campbell's and Ferguson's) contracts are up at the end of the year and David (Moyes) has got big decisions to make."

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Everton want Portsmouth's Yakubu to partner Beatts
tribalfootball.com - January 3, 2005

Everton's big spending won't end at the signing of Southampton striker James Beattie.

The Sunday Mirror says Everton boss Dave Moyes wants to partner Beatts with Portsmouth ace Yakubu Aiyegbeni as he seeks to qualify for next season's Champions League.

Everton have been quoted a price of £12million by Portsmouth for Yakubu, but they should be able to get him for £6m.

Yakubu, meanwhile, has admitted: "At some stage in my career I want to move to a big club where I am playing Champions League football."

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This Is Just The Start - Moyes
Thu 06 Jan, 8:09 AM

David Moyes claims the signing of James Beattie is just the start of his big plans to make Everton great again.

Beattie has arrived at Goodison Park with a £6million price tag and the job description of scoring the goals to take Everton into the Champions League.

But Moyes knows he must continue to strengthen his slender squad if the Merseysiders are to build on their dramatic change of fortunes this term.

Beattie will almost certainly make his debut in the FA Cup third round at Plymouth on Saturday.

But with the transfer window open for the rest of the month, Moyes reports more new faces will arrive.

He said: "I think this is the start. It is an important signing for us, because I have a bigger plan here and I always have had since I took over.

"I have a strategy and a view of the sort of players I want to bring in, and James fits perfectly into that overall plan for the future.

"We sold Wayne Rooney for £27million and Tomasz Radzinski for around £2million. That was two centre-forwards we lost just before the last deadline, and now we have spent £6million to start redressing the balance."

Beattie fits the Moyes plan, with the Scot adding: "We need competition, particularly when you lose the calibre of player that we did last summer, and James will give us that.

"People are saying this is a lot of money, but it isn't really. I think £6million is not big; it is a great price because of the way prices have gone. Birmingham spent more on (Emile) Heskey; Middlesbrough spent more on (Massimo) Maccarone; Fulham have also spent more on their strikers.

"There's only a handful of Premiership clubs who haven't spent £6million on a striker. So for Everton to be considered one of the big boys, this is not a big-money signing. I certainly hope to buy many more players for more than this."

Beattie cannot wait to get stuck into his new career, the Lancaster-born striker returning north after six years at Southampton.

"In the end it was an easy decision to make between Everton and Aston Villa," he said.

"The passion and commitment shown by the gaffer and the chairman to get me here and how much they wanted me to join Everton was unbelievable, and it was the deciding factor.

"As for Southampton, it was probably the right time to move on. The speculation had been around for 18 months and I decided to shut it out until someone from the club said I was leaving because the whole thing was becoming annoying.

"So it was the right time to come to a club with such size and tradition. I have seen first hand the team ethic now and I can't wait to get going and be right in the middle of it."

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mersey Duo Lead Pennant Chase
Sun 09 Jan, 10:09 AM

Liverpool and Everton are leading the chase to sign Jermaine Pennant from Arsenal.
The highly-rated 22-year-old winger is out of contract at Highbury in the summer, and the Mersey giants are rumoured are to be heading the queue for his signature.

According to The News Of The World both Rafael Benitez and David Moyes are both keen to capture Pennant.

The tabloid claims Dutch side Ajax and two more Premiership clubs - Manchester City and Southampton - are also monitoring developments.

Pennant joined Arsenal for £1.5million from Notts County in 1999 and spent last season on loan at Leeds United.

But fierce competition for places at Highbury means he hasn't been able to hold down a regular first-team berth with the Gunners.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Moyes turns attention to Old Firm duo Jan 11 2005

By Andy Hunter, Daily Post

DAVID MOYES has turned his sights on the Old Firm as he considers his next move in the January transfer window.

The Everton manager was an interested spectator at Celtic Park on Sunday as Martin O'Neill's team beat Rangers in the third round of the Scottish Cup.

Celtic's attacking midfielder Stilian Petrov has been linked with a move to Goodison Park and Moyes is an admirer of the Bulgarian international.

But with a £2million price-tag and Thomas Gravesen staying at Goodison unless a £2m offer arrives this month Petrov does not top Moyes's list of priorities at present.

Rangers' defensive midfielder Fernando Ricksen, however, is a cheaper option and could come into the Everton manager's plans.

The Dutch international, who scored in the 2-1 defeat on Sunday, is out of contract at the end of this season and Rangers could be tempted to sell for a nominal fee.

Everton, meanwhile, have revealed their concern over the lengthy delay in acquiring the £12.8m investment promised by the Fortress Sports Fund.

The cash - the first part of a potential £30m windfall - was promised before Christmas and when it did not arrive, Everton were told it would be forthcoming when the world's banks re-opened after the holiday period.

But the money is still not in Everton's accounts and if it is not in place by the time of the board meeting at the end of this month the club will look elsewhere for new investment.

Chief executive Keith Wyness said: "Obviously the delay is concerning. At present we are relying on the assurances given by Chris Samuelson, but we must start to explore other options. We have already been talking to other people."

Chris Samuelson is the Swiss-based broker for the deal and he has been dealing with as many as a dozen smaller investors to make up the FSF. He is currently in Singapore trying to tie up the final details of the deal having vowed that he has the money in place.

He said: "We hope to have things in place by the middle of the week. It is just regulatory issues which are stalling the procedure."

The fund needs approval from the Brunei government and Samuelson insists that he still needs to meet top officials there.

He added: "I am tying up loose ends then I need to meet the deputy finance minister and other government people. The problem is that this is the first fund of this kind to be launched in this part of the world and there is not a huge amount of previous experience."

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
French youngster in trial at Everton Jan 12 2005
By Andy Hunter, Daily Post

EVERTON have handed a week's trial to young Lens midfielder Guillaume Plessis.

The 19-year-old arrived on Merseyside yesterday hoping to convince David Moyes he is worthy of a permanent move to Goodison Park.

But any deal is unlikely to take place during this transfer window and would be a capture for the future rather than Moyes's immediate first team plans.

Plessis is regarded as a promising and powerful midfielder in his native France on the back of his performances at international youth level. But he has not established himself in the Lens senior side this season and has travelled to Bellefield with the French club's permission.

Moyes has turned his transfer thoughts to midfield after the £6million purchase of James Beattie. While Plessis could earn a deal if he impresses, Moyes is looking for established talent in the transfer window.

Celtic's Stilian Petrov and Rangers's Fernando Rickson are on a list of potential targets drawn up by Moyes who, contrary to reports yesterday, has not offered a move to Monaco striker Emmanuel Adebayor.

Adebayor is surplus to requirements at Stade Louis II and Everton have been alerted to his availability.

"It is true I have a lot of contacts from France and abroad," he said yesterday.

"I can confirm I had contacts with Paris, Toulouse and Everton. Other clubs who want to remain secret also contacted me.

"Toulouse, Everton and Paris are all very keen to get me. For the moment I don't want to leave Monaco. I will meet coach Didier Deschamps soon. Considering what he will say I will take a decision."

Adebayor's confidence in a move to Everton, however, is not shared inside Goodison Park.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Am I the only one that sees this January the same as years gone bye. 1 Player in and 2 leave. In my books that just made our side smaller not larger. :frustrat:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts