Xtratime Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let's have a new thread for this, might generate some more activity in the forum.

We don't really need major re-enforcements, the side has no massive weakness, so I hope Rafa doesn't buy for the sake of buying, or signs another stop gap signing like Degen. However if the right player is available hopefully he will get the support in signing said player, I think we could do with competition at right back and also some more quality in attacking areas (although I doubt their is any quality attacking players available in our price range this window)

The most likely transfer seems to be Glen Johnson. Would be a great signing imo, would give us a different dynamic to Arbeloa from the full back spot and I think he would combine rather well with Dirk Kuyt down that right flank.

I would ship Dossena off and replace him with Johnson, you might say we'd be short at left back with an injury prone Aurelio and a 19 year old rookie but Arbeloa is equally as good at left back, ask Messi, and signing Johnson would mean he could play there without being left short at right back.

I'd be quite happy with these as our full back options;

Right back: Johnson, Arbeloa, Darby
Left back: Insua, Aurelio, Arbeloa

Other players we've been linked with include Emile Heskey and Aaron Lennon, I don't really want either of these players and I doubt there is any truth to the Lennon rumours seeming as he's pretty much been their best player.

In terms of players out, Keane, Dossena, Benayoun, Babel, Agger, Pennant have been linked with moves away. Hopefully we find a buyer for Pennant, who can leave for a free in the summer, and considering we supposedly have to sell before we can buy I wouldn't mind seeing the back of Dossena or even Babel if we can get back most of what we payed. Hopefully the Agger storys are bullshit and I can't see Keane going after six months at the club.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_4739162,00.html

Liverpool appear set to complete their first piece of New Year business by landing Icelandic starlet Victor Palsson.

The teenage sensation is currently on the books of Danish outfit Aarhus, where he has been attracting interest for some time.

He is yet to be handed a senior debut in the Superliga but is widely regarded as an exciting prospect for the future.

At just 18-years-old he is already viewed as being one of the brightest talents to emerge from Iceland in recent years.

Standing on the verge of a glamorous switch to Anfield, Palsson will be hoping to make the same impact on Europe's biggest stage as his countryman Eidur Gudjohnsson - a man who has represented Chelsea and Barcelona during his distinguished career.

"I expect it will all be settled and ready to be completed next week," said Palsson, in regards to his imminent arrival in England.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I think we safely say that nothing much will happen, we have been strongly linked to heskey and glenn johnson and thats it really, the only outgoings I expect are pennant and possibly dossena.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Johnson is good for middtable teams, but he won't perform for a big team. I'm sure you can get a much better right back for the price media is reporting (nine milion pounds).
There are rumours portsmouth can't afford to pay us back what they still owe us for crouch.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Johnson is good for middtable teams, but he won't perform for a big team. I'm sure you can get a much better right back for the price media is reporting (nine milion pounds).
Well I can see this viewpoint from a Chelsea fan but really he has come on leaps and bounds since them days, so much so he's probably the best English right back now and arguably one of the top 3 right backs in the country, I'd only take Bosingwa and Sagna over him off the top of my head. (Corluka and Hutton maybe but Corluka is played more at center back now and Hutton is injury prone, infact Spurs want Johnson in his place)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hold on to Pennant..
Rafa should consider using him once a while...I know Mighty Kuyt running tireless and all..
but sometime..we need to get to him a rest too..maybe it can make him to play smart than playing it hard..

We may need a stricker though..
In case Keane may not be all in-form for the remaining of the season or Torres might get back injured and worst Gerrard joining him injured...

Come on...Let's not blow this golden opportunity to get on those title

1 - 9 of 9 Posts