Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jan Transfers

I thought we would have a little thread about the Jan Window were we speculate abit.

-Boumsongs off to Rangers.No big loss IMO.We obviously didnt try for him in the end.And it seems nobody else did either.

-Cisse, Dont know, Dont care anyway.2 years of guessing games.

-Overmars for 5m or Riise.If Riise isnt going to be played in midfield theres no point having him because he just sucks in defence.5m for a inconsistent 31 year old winger.I dont know.Wouldnt complain.

-Kezman.I think the Kezman part is BS.He's a one dimensional goal poacher and wouldnt compliment Owen, Baros or Pongolle IMO.Ofcourse he could be replacing someone :( But i think it was had no foundation.

-This for me is the most appealing.Kevin Hofland.He's confirmed he leaving Holland.Skillful, ballplaying left sided centre half.I really want him to slot in and replace one of our centre halfes.Not too expensive and quality.Wants the Premiership aswell.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Re: Jan Transfers

King of the Kop said:
I thought we would have a little thread about the Jan Window were we speculate abit.

-Boumsongs off to Rangers.No big loss IMO.We obviously didnt try for him in the end.And it seems nobody else did either.

-Cisse, Dont know, Dont care anyway.2 years of guessing games.

-Overmars for 5m or Riise.If Riise isnt going to be played in midfield theres no point having him because he just sucks in defence.5m for a inconsistent 31 year old winger.I dont know.Wouldnt complain.

-Kezman.I think the Kezman part is BS.He's a one dimensional goal poacher and wouldnt compliment Owen, Baros or Pongolle IMO.Ofcourse he could be replacing someone :( But i think it was had no foundation.

-This for me is the most appealing.Kevin Hofland.He's confirmed he leaving Holland.Skillful, ballplaying left sided centre half.I really want him to slot in and replace one of our centre halfes.Not too expensive and quality.Wants the Premiership aswell.
I think the Oversmars for Riise deal would be a huge mistake, Riise is a promising young left back and has bucket loads of untapped potential, Overmars is overpaid and past his best... can't really see it happening, would be one of Houllier's weirdest deals ever. I'd be ok with buying Overmars for £5m if we didn't lose Riise, but it would be a gamble and I see Kewell as our long term left winger.

Most places have the Cisse deal as signed and sealed, but like you said that was the case last summer and even the summer before! If what we read is true then that rules out the Kezman deal.

A couple of other names we are/have been linked with are Scott Parker and Michael Dawson. Parker would be a brilliant signing imo, I wanted him last season and he has improved immeasurably since then. He is a brilliant all round midfielder and he can play attacking midfielder, defensive midfielder and he has even played on the right. He stands out even more because the last contract he signed had a £5m min. fee release clause in it.

Only seen Dawson play a few times and only once live. He looks quite skilful on the ball, reasonably fast and he can use both feet. Not sure how he'd adjust to the pace of the premiership though and I could see Houllier paying £5m for him with some of the other options available. Notts. Forets have produced some crackers though like Jenas and Roy Keane.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Re: Jan Transfers

King of the Kop said:

If I were you, I would complain about this deal, because if it happened, we would be getting the much better side of the deal.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the way Riise has played this season and virtually all of last season.I would rather Traore and Vignal at LB.Riise is best as a midfielder so therefore it's best to play him there.I would rather Overmars actually doind something for the last couple of years on our left wing rather than Risse playing like a schoolboy at Left back.

If there's no room for Riise in midfield and he a crap defender what is the point of him being there.That said i dont exactly want Marc Overmars.

We dont need any hard working central midfielders like Scott Parker i dont think.Dawson would be an option especially as Notts are in debt.But Medjani is our up an coming centre half so i would rather someone proven like....Hofland.Though i dont think the Hofland rumour has any substance.

Defoe is another we are linked with.Aswell as theres a 18yo Belgian Keeper' on trial from Genk here at the moment.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
King of the Kop said:
Not the way Riise has played this season and virtually all of last season.I would rather Traore and Vignal at LB.Riise is best as a midfielder so therefore it's best to play him there.I would rather Overmars actually doind something for the last couple of years on our left wing rather than Risse playing like a schoolboy at Left back.
Actually, after he was dropped for Traore and then brought back.. Riise has been playing quite well.. both defensively and offensively.. much better than 80% of the other players that are playing these days..

I'd go for the money deal.. Riise IMO is too valuable.. People say he can't defend.. well if he goes.. what are the options? Carra when he returns (who's a right footed player and offensively sucks) and Traore (who sucks anywhere!).. and besides.. RC knows nothing about defending.. and I think any RM fan would say that the only thing he does defensively is run his socks off behind wingers and try to stand in front of a shot and hope it hits him.. do they complain? No, what he does offensively and the dimension he adds to their defence is too valuable.. that's just how it should be with us and Riise..

I actually have wanted Overmars ever since he left Arsenal to Barca and was benched as soon as he arrived.. he's much older now.. but I still think he has 2 or maybe 3 good years in him.. If Heskey was worth 11M.. Overmars for 5 is a bargain :)

And I definetly want Kezman over Cisse.. I disagree that he's only a tap in player.. some say he's a goal poacher.. Hell, isn't that what we need?!! We currently are creating chances (mostly half chances) and one of our main problems is getting the ball in the net.. the fact that he's a goal poacher means he knows where to be when the ball is brought into the penalty area.. compare that to Heskey these days! Actually, Ian Rush was known as a goal poacher.. it was well known that u shouldn't expect a run past 6 players.. or a 40 yard cracker.. but u'll be sure that when the cross comes in.. he'll nod it in.. or tap it in.. As for Cisse.. well I think he's been over hyped.. I'm not saying he's not talented (vs. Heskey :)).. but I still think Kezman is better..

Hofland would be an excellent buy.. but his rumor is mainly in the summer..

Besides.. GH said a week ago to expect NO or minimal actions by Liverpool in the winter transfer window..

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yeah, I'd be surpised if we bring in anyone during the January window, we didn't when we were in a rut last year, so why do it this year? :D

Don't forget we've got Finnan and Owen to come back against Yeovil at the start of Jan; with Baros, Carragher and Henchoz to follow when they get match fitness... both Carragher and Henchoz have come through practice matches. They will be like new signings and Finnan and Owen should be just coming to their peak for the Chelsea game after Yeovil.

About the left back spot I agree with Yasir that Riise should be the first choice their. Carragher played well their during the treble season but is almost exclusively right-footed and will add more (a bit) offensively if he's at right back. Vignal, well who knows? Has looked quite good when Riise was infront of him two years ago but I don't watch the French league. Didn't GH say that he may have a part to play? Traore is a definite no-no! He's a liability and he may be able to tackle and head but he can't pass and looks so nervous on the ball. He has a negative impact on the other players who don't trust him... it's got to be Riise. Like Yasir said his form has been much improved since he was dropped and he's had a hand in several goals in the last month or so.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
Kezman isn't just a tap-in player. The lionshare of his goals look pretty simple but he's certainly capable of rounding defenders and keeper alike which he's also done before. He might be dry in the Champions League for a bit, but I think that's largely to do with the minimal delivery to him. With players like Gerrard supplying him, I am quite sure Kezman can also fire in Europe.

Hofland is completely out of form. He's been injured for ages, and since his comeback he's hardly managed to convince or warrant a starting line-up place. He's softly said that he wishes to leave PSV if he doesn't get more playing time, especially coz there is a EURO champs just around the corner, so perhaps Liverpool could be the light he needs. Eventhough it would be risky buy in Liverpool's sense coz he's certainly not the Hofland of 2001, when he even was a first choice defender for Holland.

D

·
0 Posts
IMO we should look at Dawson and try and get a top class playmaker, some1 like Rosicky, Deco or Guily.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
How about attack Doc?

I mean, Baros should return soon (I hope)..

and Owen too.. but with Owen, his chances of getting injured and out are larger than him staying healthy till the end of the season..

Heskey doesn't count as a striker anymore..

Nor does Diouf.. who's a right midfielder now..

And that leaves us with FSP who's doing really well but we don't know how injury prone he is and can he handle the big stage on a constant basis..

Even with FSP (who wasn't supposed to figure in the 1st team this season).. that means we have 3 attackers.. of which 2 are currently injured..

D

·
0 Posts
Owen is back next week, Baros will be back in a month. Kewell can play upfront, so can Smicer and Diouf. We have enough cover upfront for now IMO. Maybe get Cisse or whoever in the summer, but a playmaker is needed and so is a defender. To be honest, I'd prefer to see the board not give Houllier anymore money. He's spent a fortune, let him use the players he's bought with all that money.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Well if you get a playmaker like some of those that you mentioned Doc, and a young defender and a good manager in the summer who knows the balance of attack and defence like O'neill, I dont see any reason why liverpool cant challenge United, the arse and chelsea.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
The Transfer window is almost upon us and there are a few questions to be discussed.

1. Should GH be given money to spend?
2. If so, should it be a lot, say 10 mil?
3. Would it be necessary to pay excessively for a player to cover up a key problem position?
4. Should we sell our players?
5. Should we sell them cheaply?
6. Should we loan some players?
7. Who would you see as REALISTIC choices to come to our club?
8. Should we get Tried and Tested above average EPL or Div 1 players (especially from Leeds) or skilful continental misfits?
9. Should we sell Heskey to Lincoln City?

Ok..... :)

I failed to see that a thread has already been existence and I beg a FM to merge it with KOTP thread.

Sorry.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well some pretty good news as i was beginning to get a bit bewildered about the whole situation.
==================
Cisse: Liverpool move is on !

Auxerre striker Djibril Cisse says his proposed transfer to Liverpool will go ahead regardless of late interest from Old Trafford and even if Gerard Houllier is not the manager in the summer.

Sir Alex is in the market for a striker and has expressed an interest in the player sparking concerns that the Old Trafford club could hijack the deal. However Liverpool chiefs are not concerned about any interest from their rivals.

Talking about his plans, the French ace said: "I still intend to sign for Liverpool. It has always been very precise with them, although I have signed no deal.

"We all know where we are because we have been talking for a long time, so it is not necessary to talk every week. My manager, Guy Roux, has already spoken directly with Liverpool. I still want to go to Liverpool. Gerard Houllier's position make no difference.

"There has been no direct contact with Manchester United. I don't really know that much about it but I have heard something. I am already advanced with Liverpool and they have my priority. I am not thinking about another club.

"If I leave at the end of the season it will be for Liverpool and not another club."

The last KopTalk Insider bulletin claimed that the player has already undergone a preliminary medical and that the club have secured accomodation for him in the city.

Gerard Houllier has not ruled out the possibility of signing Cisse this month and attempts are still been made to push this transfer through now rather than in the summer.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LIVERPOOL SEAL CISSE MOVE

Liverpool are believed to have concluded a €20 million deal for French striker Djibril Cisse.
A number of leading French sources, including the much respected daily L'Equipe, have stated that Cisse has already put pen-to-paper on a five-year deal.

Liverpool have moved quickly to seal the £14 million move for Cisse, in order to fend off interest from a number of top European clubs - including Manchester United and Chelsea.

The Reds missed out on Cisse's Auxerre team-mate Jean-Alain Boumsong to Rangers, after they failed to agree terms with the player's agent Richard Bettoni - who also represents Cisse.

The striking starlet reportedly travelled to England in the past week to undergo a medical, before agreeing terms on the deal.

Cisse is thought to have been handed close to €4 million as a signing on fee for the transfer which will be rubber-stamped at the end of the season.

The news of securing Cisse's signature will be a major boost to Liverpool, who have a real battle on their hands to secure a place in the Champions League.

Houllier will obviously hope that Cisse's arrival will signal Liverpool's intent on making sure they maintain pace with the likes of Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea.
================
Well IF it's true i think it's great news but i dont really care right now if it's at the end of the season ! Hopefully Houllier wont be here to enjoy his talents.Thats ofcourse if it happens as it's been certain for so long it's bound to blow up in our faces somehow :(

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Looks like a very good buy if the deal finally goes through.

A talented striker who'd definitely start for the French NT if they already didnt have Henry and Trezeguet.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
But don't u think £14M is a bit too much for a striker (when we have 3 already) while we haven't moved for a midfielder (a creative one like Rosicky) or a defender when we badly need those?

Cisse will do well as long as Heskey leaves.. same goes for Baros too.. His main problem was actually seeing Heskey started ahead of him.. God knows what that could do to his morale! :D

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Yasir said:
But don't u think £14M is a bit too much for a striker (when we have 3 already) while we haven't moved for a midfielder (a creative one like Rosicky) or a defender when we badly need those?

Cisse will do well as long as Heskey leaves.. same goes for Baros too.. His main problem was actually seeing Heskey started ahead of him.. God knows what that could do to his morale! :D
Yeah, that's a very good point, while Cisse is a gem and is probably worth the money - We need a defender/midfielder more urgently considering we have Owen, Baros, Le Tallec and Pongolle upfront. Oh and Heskey too :rolleyes: But maybe if we're lucky someone makes a big bid for Heskey, an offer even GH can't refuse. ;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi Raanan,

From what I read 2 days ago.. Greame Souness was thinking of making a bid for Heskey..

seems like the relegation battle and a 4-0 hammering in the cup have affected Souness' brain cells! :stress:

(Read it on ESN)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts