Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like your opinions guys on what has gone on during this month's transfer window which closes in 3 days time. Do we have a weaker squad, relatively similar or a better squad as a result of the players going in and out? Here is a quick recap at this moment in time:

Left the Club

Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle United) £8m
Craig Moore (Borussia Monchengladbach) Free
Paulo Vanoli (Vicenza) Free

Arrived at the Club

Bojan Djordjic (Manchester United) Free
Thomas Buffel (Feyenoord) £2.3m
Jukka Santala (HJK Helsinki) Free
Sotirios Kyrgiakos (Panathinaikos) £1.7m

First off What happened to the Alistair Donald £10m transfer fund? I'd like to go back to just over a month ago when David Murray, speaking after the share issue, said:

David Murray said:
It now means that we are in a position where we do not need to sell any of our players. However, if we do sell any players, the money will immediately be given to Alex McLeish for replacements. Rangers can now look forward to a bright future.
By my estimation we have spent half of the £8m we brought in and have £4m still available to use. With 3 days still to go, 4 if you include today, till the window closes are we going to spend some of that? It could have been used to bring back Barry Ferguson but was not.

That brings me to the Barry Ferguson transfer saga and the overuse by the media of the word "brinkmanship". I've now had time to calm down after yesterday's bitter disappointment of the news that Rangers had given up on chasing the former captain. I think that is the case but I do think Murray will make one last bid before the window closes.

In short Ferguson, through his agent, let Rangers know that Barry wanted to return to Ibrox and Rangers could get him for £3.5m. Rangers tabled a £3m bid which was rejected. Barry then submitted a transfer requested which Blackburn eventually accepted but only providing their valuation of £6m could be met. Rangers negotiated with Blackburn over a cash plus player move which they were not interested in. Blackburn then recieved the second and final bid of £3.5m plus £500,000 after 50 appearances but this was rejected- again it was £6m or nothing. Any move at that point collapsed.

Blackburn now have a player who doesn't want to be there. By sticking a price on Ferguson that is almost equal Morientes, double the value of Robbie Savage, double the value of Thomas Gravesen and £1m more than the asking price for Craig Bellamy they have kept their captain. Only time will tell if that was a good move for them but as Ferguson doesn't want to be their and his family don't want to be there I think it will be hard to concentrate on his football. Blackburn will now have to cough up the £2.5m they owe Rangers before this season has ended.

Although Rangers have missed out on what would be a great asset to the club they appear to have been hurt less by this collapse- not so. They will find they have been hurt as equally. First of is Dragan Mladenovic who is now very unsettled after Rangers tried to use him is a desperate attempt to bring Ferguson back. It remains to be seen what will now happen with Dragan but I'm sure his confidence will be at an all time low after Rangers showing him no loyalty whatsoever. Fernando Ricksen was also set to sit down for talks too. I believe these were based on Fergsuon coming back to Ibrox and this weeks the talks were scrapped. We may just have lost 3 midfielders rather than just the one.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
If things stay as they are, with regards to transfer dealings, I wouldn't call it a success or a disaster. I'm far from satisfied, but that's more to do with the way Murray has gone about his business than the actual player turnover. Before I knew there was any chance of Fergie coming back I wasn't that bothered about bringing in a quality midfielder immediately. But the fact that Murray built everyone's hopes up, just makes it hurt more that we haven't got him.

My immediate reaction when I first heard of the Barry link was, "why would Blackburn want to get rid of their captain for the sort of money we're supposedly offering?" Is Murray that stupid that he thought we'd get him for so little? I wished I shared your optimism regarding another bid chivo, but I can't see it happening. Murray has now got himself into a situation where he'll look like a muppet either way, whether Barry comes back or not. The situation appears to be in Blackburn's hands now more than anything else from Murray's comments today.

I'd be a lot happier if Mladenovic's situation had not worsened. IMO there was absolutely no need to tell the guy to find a new club. Stupid move, whoever instigated it. The news on Ricksen hasn't exactly been positive, although won't affect us immediately. He's definately off in the summer imo. Ball also now knows, more or less, that he's surplus to requirements despite the fact that Vignal refuses to commit long-term.

Still optimistic regarding Buffel and Djordjic. Kyrgiakos should do a job, but will he be as good as Boumsong?

If another £4 million are not spent in the next few days, Murray has yet again been exposed for the liar he is. It's starting to feel like we've got Alistair Campbell at the helm of our club.

What's happened to Klos is no-ones fault. But definately contributes to making the transfer period a lot more negative than positive for us :depress:. I hope the players don't read the newspapers regularly, because there'll be a lot of negative sentiment concerning us in the next few days. Morale could be affected.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Bazza should be talking up now. Blackburn want a fee for him and Rangers are not willing to pay it. It's a stale mate. If Bazza really does want to come back then it's time for him to put his cards on the table. He's said nothing so far and by all accounts has backed down to Blackburn. If his family life is suffering and he would rather be at Ibrox than Ewood then it's time to spit the dummy, throw his toys about, cry like a big baby and create a stink. Would Blackburn then still want to pay £2.5m for a player who is not only refusing to play for them but disrupting the rest of the side?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
But if he did anything as drastic as that, couldn't Blackburn find him in breach of contract and prevent him from playing for anyone?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Angle_eyes said:
But if he did anything as drastic as that, couldn't Blackburn find him in breach of contract and prevent him from playing for anyone?
Don't know but it worked for Savage so they know all about it. Lots of players do it. Henri Camara did it too. Clubs don't like it when players do that and I normally wouldn't condone it but if Blackburn are wanting to stop Bazza's move by putting a price tag on him they know can't and won't be met then he should kick up a stink. Asking for twice the amount that Birmingham allowed Savage to go for is taking the piss to be honest. Bazza in my opinion is not being strong enough.

Regardless of the guys who have come in I think the fans will be gutted this month like I am. First we see Boumsong leave, then we're told Bazza is coming back and now we have neither. The injury to Klos has really gone and scunnered us big time. I was happier with what we had at the start of the season to be honest but I'll give the new guys a chance before making a proper judgement.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alex MLeish re-iterated at the weekend that Murray has allowed him to re-invest the money they got for Boumsong back into the squad. He has until the end of the day to spend it.

I made a mistake earlier in my calculations when I said McLeish has spent £4m and had £4m left to spend- which would easily cover the Ferguson deal. In actual fact he has only spent £2.75m which leaves him with £5.25m to spend. I had used the full transfer fee for Kyrgiakos but in actual fact Rangers have only spent £450,00 to keep him till the end of the season (with £1.3m option to take him for 3 years in the summer).

The thing to remember is buying Bazza would not only get him but probably Ricksen too so £4.5m - £5m would be a good bit of business. Still no word on what is happening with Mladenovic but he wasn't in the squad again at the weekend.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now looking a little different so here is an update. I'll admit that I'm now happy that the transfer window has been a success, long live king Bazza! :)

No word on Dragan, hopefully he is staying too.

Left the Club

Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle United) £8m
Craig Moore (Borussia Monchengladbach) Free
Paulo Vanoli (Vicenza) Free
Stephen Hughes (Leicester City) £250,000

Arrived at the Club

Bojan Djordjic (Manchester United) Free
Thomas Buffel (Feyenoord) £2.3m
Jukka Santala (HJK Helsinki) Free
Sotirios Kyrgiakos (Panathinaikos) £1.7m
Barry Ferguson (Blackburn Rovers) £5m
Ronald Waterreus (Manchester City) Free

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Basically Boumsong going has meant we have been able to bring in Djordjic, Buffel, Kyrgiakos and Ferguson...not a bad bit of business, even though i'm still not too happy with JAB going (especially the way he did)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd have preferred him to stay too but only if he wanted to. It was obvious that wasn't the case which is a shame because if we had this current team plus Boumsong playing to till the end of the season then we'd be in a good position to get into the Champions League group stages. As you say we wouldn't have got the new guys without that money so in my own opinion I think we have benefited no end from the Boumsong Bosman.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Boumsong going may work out for the best after all. I think our strongest eleven, minus Klos of course, will be very difficult for any SPL team to beat. The transfer activities of Rangers and Celtic have certainly added some more spice to the title race. May the best side win.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's been a great trade. If we had not got Boumsong for free then you would have to wonder what our side would look like now. It's looking good now though and that's all that matters:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts