Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Jairzinho and Garrincha ever play together for Botafogo. I realize there is a big age difference between them - Jairzinho would had to have been a teenager while Mané would have been at the tail end of his days for Fogão. Has Jairzinho ever stated that Garrincha had any influence on him (futebol-wise, that is! ;-) ).

Did Jairzinho have a nickname?

That must have been a real epoca de ouro to follow Botafogo (1955-1965 or so. First the Garrincha-Nilton Santos-Didi-Amarilldo-Zagallo generation followed by Jairzinho-Gerson).

Does Zagallo consider himself more a Botafoguense or a Flamenguista?

·
Administrator
30,843 Posts
Yes, they did. The first games of Jair was when Mane Still played, at least a few of them. (I am talking about Memory of Seeing Jairzinho telling his first game was with Mane, therefore he used the 9, so if Garrincha come here and tell I am wrong, well such is life)
I Doubt much that any player of Botafogo, even today will not say Garrincha had any influence, but the style was different, Jair was long distance, explosion player, Garrincha was a ball control, short dribbles player.
Jairzinho is already a nickname :) He is also called "The Hurricane" because the 1970 WC.
That was the Golden Age of Brazilian football and probally of the world football indeed. And think, The Garrincha-Quarentinha-Amarildo-Didi-Zagallo team , that machine had not the sucess - at least the sucess that should have the second best line up of brazilian history - because there was a Pele's Santos in the way, and when It was not them, there was A Palmeiras's Academy in the way, and in Rio ? There was Flu of Castilho-Tele (with tigh defensive game), or Flamengo of Dida-Moacir, Joel, Henrique, and when they relaxed Piazza-Dirceu-Tostao and Cruzeiro started to show up, well...Think that Corinthians with Rivelino was not enough to figure in the tops here with regularity.

I think he may consider himself Americano, I am not sure however (The flamengo team where he played dominated Carioca football at his time)...

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
eugene said:
Did Jairzinho and Garrincha ever play together for Botafogo. I realize there is a big age difference between them - Jairzinho would had to have been a teenager while Mané would have been at the tail end of his days for Fogão. Has Jairzinho ever stated that Garrincha had any influence on him (futebol-wise, that is! ;-) ).
Yeah, they played together for a while. Jairzinho was considered Garrincha's successor in Botafogo, and the media didn't miss the chance to hype the appearance of a young star attacker in the club just when the "old" star approached the end of his career. Jairzinho always mentioned the inspiration that Garrincha was for him, despite the technical differences between them that JCamilo already pointed out. :smileani:

eugene said:
Does Zagallo consider himself more a Botafoguense or a Flamenguista?
Zagallo is a Flamenguista.

Until a few years back Zagallo would still make 'political' statements praising Botafogo as the club where he was most successful, but when Bota's current president Bebeto de Freitas took charge of the club he kicked out Zagallo's son (who was coach of Bota`s youth team), who was at the center of a gang that had taken control of Botafogo's youth-squad players and made them sign contracts with outside agents. Zagallo Jr. was paid by some dishonest player-agents to use his position as coach to manipulate the kids into signing with those agents... and when the club kicked out both the coach and the agents, Zagallo complained that it was a personal affront to HIM to have his son sacked, and began mouthing off against the club. :rollani:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts