Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about making Ivan Helguera a permanent defender?

I think it makes sense but I want to hear all of your opinions...

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
A quite odd idea if you ask me ;) Do you know what Helguera's position in the team is? He is optionally a central midfielder or a central defender. he can play both positions and he's REAL-ly good at it(lately at least). now I wonder why you asked this question? And I also know the answer, there has been a lot of bullshi* goin' on in the papers about the masterpiece of playing ManU with 3 defenders! This total crap! We played a 4-4-2, Helguera as a DM alongside Redondo. Both of them had the job to help out our defense and that's exactly what they did! Helguear wsn't a defender in the game, he just turned into one, because of the constant pressure put on our goal; it's that simple. But like I said, he can play as DC...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what Helguera's position is, for crying out loud! And we did play with 3 at the back against Man U. In fact, Helguera was even behind Karanka and Ivan Campo, playing as a sweeper. That's not what I want to happen though, when I say make Helguera a permanent defender. We still play with four defenders with two of them playing as wingbacks and two as central defenders. Just make Helguera a defender so instead of buying two this summer we only need to buy a really, really good one.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
just wanted to say that ivan helguera once played for as roma in italy.....

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Thx for the AS Roma info ;) We didn't know that :) I don't really understand you dwMB, do you not agree with me that Ivan is defender/midfielder optionally. This is true, because he played in both these positions at Espanyol and earlier at Roma(not too much there :))

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's as simple as this:

Madrid plans to have 5 central defenders next year: Hierro, Karanka, Julio Cesar + 2 summer buys

Now instead of doing that: We could permanently make Helguera a central defender (instead of just occasionally) so we could have Hierro, Helguera, Karanka, Julio Cesar + 1 really, really good summer buy.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Well the option of ivan being a DC was always there, only no one seemed to trust him. Fortunately del bosque has now realized what potential he beholds. It really must be big, since it was Helguera NOT Guti who was called up to the spanish squad...and we all know who played more. Weird. Now who do we buy in that crucial 5th spot?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That I do not know.

If Macca stays, perhaps we should buy a countryman of his, Sol Campbell or Rio Ferdinand.

If Macca doesn't stay then it's a free for all, Nesta is very good but he's Lazio's flagbearer. Monaco's Marquez has a lot of potential. Strong in the air and has a mean shot too. But maybe a little too young? He's just 21.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts