Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday, May 10, 2002
Rapid Vienna fire coach Matthaeus

VIENNA, May 10 (Reuters) - Austria's Rapid Vienna have fired coach Lothar Matthaeus after a disappointing season in which the club slipped to their lowest position in their 103-year history.
The decision to sack the former German captain came as no surprise following weeks of media speculation over the 41-year-old who signed a two-year contract with the club in September last year.

'Rapid have this morning severed its contract with the coaching team of Lothar Matthaeus,' Rapid said in a statement on its website on Friday.

The team cited differences over the club's achievements in the past season. It added a decision would be made over Matthaeus's successor in the next few days.

Matthaeus said on Thursday he wanted to continue working with the team, adding he felt he had fulfilled the task which had been set him by the management. The club ended the season on Thursday in eighth position.

Matthaeus was due to hold a press conference at 1300 GMT on Friday.

soccernet

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Good. Rapid Vienna had the worst finish in their history this year. Matthaus' ego is bigger than his ability to coach.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Rapid said 2 matheus he has 2 years to build the squad but gave him 1 year......so i think its unfair.......but i hope he'll take the charge of a german team now.Moreover Rapid are trying to sign striker Steffan Hoffmann from Bayern now.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Marvin4 said:
Moreover Rapid are trying to sign striker Steffan Hoffmann from Bayern now.
He´s already supposed to have signed a contract. Can anybody tell me anything about him?

·
Registered
49 Posts
From begin on I knew that Matthaeus coaching Vienna was a bad choice. But now since he's fired, he might coach a German Bundesliga team. That would be SWEET!!!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matthaus demands Rapid return

Monday 20th May 2002

Lothar Matthaus has threatened legal action against Rapid Vienna president Rudi Edlinger unless he is reinstated as coach of the Austrian club.

"We will take Edlinger to court to get Matthaus re-employed. Lothar wants to continue his successful era as Rapid coach," said the Germany legend's adviser Georg Stanggassinger.

Just how successful Matthaus' time at Rapid was is open to debate.

Rapid slid to eighth in the ten-club Austrian top flight under his guidance, even though the former midfielder was handed the biggest transfer budget in the club's 103-year history.

Matthaus was already under pressure before his side were thrashed 6-1 by a second-string Salzburg side last month, prompting Rapid president Rudolf Edlinger to complain about the "mental problem" afflicting the team.

Matthaus hit back, criticising both the club and its president, leading Edlinger to comment: " I think I overestimated his intellect.

"Somebody like him, who is more often in the gossip columns than on the sports pages, cannot be an idol for youth. And my team is quite young."

Matthaus' dismissal was welcomed by the Rapid squad. "The players are glad that Matthaus has left," said midfielder Andreas Herzog.

onefootball

1 - 6 of 6 Posts