Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iuliano Milan deal done Monday 17 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan have agreed terms with Juventus over the proposed transfer of Mark Iuliano.

The latter has been hotly linked with the Rossoneri in recent times and reports suggest that a 10m Euro fee has been ironed out.

The San Siro club have been looking for a new central defender for some time after talks to buy Lilian Thuram (Juventus) and Fabio Cannavaro (Parma) stalled over the respective asking prices.

Sources suggest that Iuliano will be offered a three-year deal and the move will be completed once he agrees personal terms after the World Cup.

The 29-year-old, who signed for Juventus from Salernitana in 1996, could be handed his first World Cup appearance on Tuesday as Italy have Cannavaro suspended.

"I¡¦m ready if required," said the central defender. "I¡¦ve been ready since May 12, the day we got together for the tournament, to be honest."

Italy have been heavily criticised in some quarters for having a lack of quality cover for first choice defenders Fabio Cannavaro and Alessandro Nesta. A claim that Iuliano doesn¡¦t believe is fair.

"I don¡¦t accept the statement that the reserve defenders are not up to the job in hand. After all the Coach picked his players after watching them in the Italian championship and he has chosen the best Italian defenders available."

Asked whether Iuliano was expecting to play in the Second Round game against South Korea, he replied: "It is disappointing to not play even if the most important aspect of the game is that we qualify.

"But then if I play and do well it will be hard for me to accept a place on the bench for the next match."

channel4 ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
No, this deal is not official - yet. However, it looks likely to conclude during the next 2-3 weeks. Ancelotti favours juliano, especially when his price is within reason.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Interesting... Iuliano out, Thuram almost out, Fresi in, Zanchi in...
Am I the only one who is worry about our transfer campain until now...:(

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thank you for your contribution Iuliano !

Good luck as a rossinero !

I`ll guess this means that either Cannavaro or Nesta is to arrive in Turin this summer :).

·
Registered
429 Posts
Interesting... Iuliano out, Thuram almost out, Fresi in, Zanchi in...
espectro, i wouldn't worry too much. Juventus are replacing their older members with younger ones. They are making some sort of a return now, while they can. Thuram leaving, is just speculation. Nothing has been confirmed yet. Juve's transfer dealings arn't clear yet as regards to cannavaro or nesta. If one of these players were to be captured, then it would seem that thuram would play in a back three - one where he is more comfortable with.

I see it as a very smart move my moggi and co.
Dont worry - he knows what he is doing!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Good luck Iuliano..

But ten million for a 29 year old defender is a lot...
and frankly, he really isn't what we need, if Juve switch
to a three-man back-line (and I hope they do!)

He could make some pretty bad mistakes, also. I worried
a lot when he was on the field. Didn't play well on the left flank as a backup for Pesotto either. Since we signed Fresi (I think
he's good) and Zauri, who can play as a left back, we don't really need Iuliano.

Now let's hope that ten million go towards getting another great player (Vicente? Doni?), ok Moggi?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Juve's transfer dealings arn't clear yet as regards to cannavaro or nesta. If one of these players were to be captured, then it would seem that thuram would play in a back three - one where he is more comfortable with

I know we are after this two, but as the time pass, Thuram is more and more closer to Manchester and Canna or Nesta are not getting closer to Juve.
I really hope we can buy one (if not the two) of this players, I'm just afraid that other team beat us, coz we aren't fast enogh

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Woow, you're so harsh on Iuliano, Ralfie. I won't grant him more credits than he deserves, and this season certainly wasn't his best, but I rather keep a positive remembrance of him. He remains a world-class defender from my perspective and I certainly won't hold grudges on him for a couple of unfortunate blunders every player commits once in a while. He was also the man who handed us our 25th scudetto with the decisive goal during the last day.

Thanks for everything you accomplished in Turin! Good luck to you in Milan, Mark. :tongue:

Ciao.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
he cant be around forever and i think now is the perfect time for him to leave as we can still get good cash for him. he will 30 soon. Thuram might still leave and hopefully that means that a player like Nesta would come in. Thuram is getting old as well.

Rumours of Marquez joining have popped up as welll which is good.

When you think about Juve's defenders, they are old. Montero, Ferrara, Iuliano, Thuram, Pessotto, Parramatti...all old.

i think if we get Nesta, Marquez......its worth it as they are young.

One question though, Juve should have asked for the likes of Contra or Denato....a players which we need if Thuram and Davids does leave. Just a thought.

I'm sure Moggi will buy the correct players.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yeah, I know...

I shouldn't be hard on the guy - I like him, and I will always remember being at Venezia-Juve and seeing him score.

He had good physical ability and a lot of heart, but his nerves
would get to him in big matches - remember when he was
sent off in Juve-Roma with two yellows in five minutes?

Juve is really tough on defenders, they depend on them far too much, really. Because of this, they have to be either hard as nails, like Montero, or with brilliant positional sense and ability, like Tudor. Iuliano was something in the middle.

The fact that even Thuram has had trouble stepping up last season shows how difficult it is to be a defender at Juve. Really, I like the guy, and I hope he does well at Milan.

PS Steph, sorry about Belgium - these referees are a disgrace.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Re: Yeah, I know...

ralford said:
PS Steph, sorry about Belgium - these referees are a disgrace.
You bet! It's now official: I lost any interest in this Worl Cup! ;)

Ciao.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hey Steph, I know the feeling

By the way, Del Piero's quote, was it before or after yesterday's game

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
It was on the eve of the day Trapattoni decided to do things half-right instead of just right -fielding him right from the start but then replacing him just about the moment he would have made the difference, that is. :depress:

It was one of the first things he told the journalists when the referee put an end to Italy-Mexico. ;)

Ciao.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts