Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish you all the best, you need it.
Mondonico is surely not better than Cavasin, easily worse... bad choice indeed. From a tactical point of view Mondonico is exactly a copy of Cavasin. Like fascetti, Simoni, etc. etc. etc. no tactical keys at all, long passes to Riganò & Co. with the hope that they will invent something and score.
Why do I say that he can be worse? Cause he was almost an ex-coach. He had decided to leave after the last failures and I remember him sayiing less than one month ago that he was disappointed by the world of football.
Now maybe he has found new motivations and , indeed, Fiorentina is a big chance for him... bigger than he could imagine in his dreams, yet, I consider him not suited anyway.

·
6,645 Posts
I totally agree with you, Toni. This is rather dissapointing. But as I read, DDV has someone else lined up for the job next season. We just have to endure with this guy for a while.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Fiorentina sack Cavasin
Tuesday 10 February, 2004

Emiliano Mondonico is the new Coach of Serie B side Fiorentina after Alberto Cavasin was sacked.

Football Italia reported yesterday that Cavasin (pictured) was to be shown the door and the club have confirmed his departure today.

The Viola lost 2-1 at Triestina on Sunday which did little to improve their slim hopes of promotion.

That defeat, just one of many poor away performances, forced the club into a change after their busy January transfer campaign.

Early reports suggested that Renzo Ulivieri, or even Dino Zoff, was in line to take the Artemio Franchi post.

But the club have confirmed the appointment of Mondonico who has won promotion to the top-flight in the past with Cremonese, Atalanta and Torino.

Channel4.com

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I have to say people to decided to sack Cav are pretty clueless.. Why did we first sign 12 new players and then after few matches sack him? :confused:

Toni do you know what kind of formation have Mondonico used before? I am asking this because if we start to defend we won't see promotion to A soon.

Just wondering if he have's balls to bench Vryzas :tongue:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Stupid sacking him now. The players can't gel after three games together, for God's sake. They should have sacked him towards the end of last year, or kept faith with him until the Summer.
This is a coward's decision.
Can't say I'm too happy with the appointment of Mondonico. Why? His style is exactly the same as Cavasin's!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Tomorrow we will play a friendly against Calenzano at Franchi. What makes this match interesting is of course what kind of formation will Mondonico use next weekend or hints about it.

Also the first training with Mondonico is over. In fio.it there is speculation about Ivan's return etc. That could be risky business. We'll see. :cool:

·
Registered
45,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mondonico adopts no formation in particular. He is one of those coaches who say that adapts the formations to the players and not the contrary. Truth is that from a tactical point of view he is not surely among the best coaches.... on the contrary, his teams usually completely lacks organization.
I don't think that he will make revolutions, maybe he will change some players just to show that was worth a change of coach.
The pitch will tell us, maybe there were problems we don't know between the players and Cavasin and Fiorentina just needed a new man...
Mondonico belongs to the same school of Fascetti and Simoni, coaches who gained lots of promotions even without a tactical organization. This year they sucks, but maybe it's just because their teams are mediocre, Fiorentina team is not... in the end the players count above all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts