Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beckham signs new contract
11/5/02 1:30 PM

Manchester United is pleased to announce that terms have been agreed with David Beckham on a new contract that will keep him at the club at least until the end of June, 2005.

Peter Kenyon, Chief Executive, said everyone at Manchester United was delighted that David had agreed a new contract. He explained: “As everyone knows, it has taken a long time for us to reach agreement on this new deal.

"The process of every player contract negotiation is different, and one of the unique aspects of David’s was understanding how his global image could best be utilised to the mutual benefit of Manchester United and David himself.

“We believe we have agreed a contract that does just that. It is important to point out that we never once doubted that David wanted to stay at United.

"He has made a big contribution to the club’s achievements over the past decade, and we all look forward to enjoying more success together in the coming seasons.”

Sir Alex Ferguson also expressed his delight at the news, saying: “I’m really pleased David has signed a new contract. It’s taken a long time to get here, and we’re all relieved it’s over.

"He is a terrific player who has played a big part in the team’s successes, and with his new deal signed we can now settle down to enjoying the next few years with David as an important part of the team.”

David Beckham said: “I would like to say a personal thank you to Peter Kenyon, David Gill and Sir Alex Ferguson for their vital support in helping me to finalise my contract before the World Cup.

"The club has bent over backwards to be fair in their dealings with me and I always knew that Manchester United were the only club I ever want to play for.

“I was never really worried about the contract, but I did want it all sorted out before the World Cup. Sir Alex had made it very clear that he wanted me to be an important part of the club’s future and his word was good enough for me.

"The Manchester United fans are part of my family and they have supported me through all the highs and lows of my career at Old Trafford. I know I owe them a big thank you and if anything the bond between myself and the club and the fans is stronger than ever before. All the players at Manchester United feel that special bond and there is not a day passes when I do not feel very lucky and privileged to be part of such a fantastic club.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=15751

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Sunday, May 12, 2002
At last, England's captain signs new deal with United
By By Malcolm Folley

David Beckham became the highest-paid footballer in Britain yesterday when he signed a contract which, with bonuses, will earn him £100,000 a week. :eekani:

David Beckham: Deal sealed
(BenRadford/Allsport)
Beckham received a standing ovation at Old Trafford as United manager Sir Alex Ferguson celebrated his one significant success of the season, ending 12 months of speculation over the future of the England captain.

Beckham, whose deal is aimed at keeping him with United until June 2005, said: 'The club has bent over backwards in their dealings and United were always the only club I ever wanted to play for. I was never really worried about the contract, but I did want it all sorted out before the World Cup.'

He also revealed that he had taken his first training run since the cast on his foot was removed. 'It felt fine,' he said, which will be a huge relief for England coach Sven Goran Eriksson.

Beckham, 27, had accepted an offer of a £70,000 basic salary eight months ago, but the negotiations to recompense him for his image rights took until yesterday to conclude.

Those were eventually valued at £20,000 a week. The deal is backdated to last September. With agreed annual increases factored in, he will finish the contract on more than £100,000 a week, having netted £20 million over the three years.

Ferguson, who hugged Beck-ham on the pitch, was relieved the saga had ended positively after a disappointing season.

Ferguson said: 'It's taken a long time to get here and we're relieved it's all over. David is a terrific player who has played a big part in the team's successes and with his new deal signed we can now settle down to enjoying the next few years with David as an important part of the team.'

Beckham's deal followed a year of hard bargaining which began when United contacted his agent, SFX's Tony Stephens, and The Outside Organisation, the showbiz company which looks after the interests of his wife, Victoria.

There were many bleak moments during the most protracted negotiations in Premiership history.

United chief executive Peter Kenyon failed to conclude the deal before the season as he had predicted on July 3. Then when Ferguson dropped Beckham, negotiations stalled before Christmas. And on December 16 Kenyon said: 'The club has gone as far as we can.'

Speculation over Ferguson's successor as boss worried Beckham. 'I'd like to know who the next manager is going to be,' he said.

On January 23 Kenyon confessed that the sides were adrift: 'I guess we're all getting a bit frustrated.'

News that Ferguson had opted to sign a new three-year deal to remain was greeted as a positive sign by Ted Beckham. 'David will be chuffed Sir Alex is staying,' said the England captain's father.

Indeed, Ferguson's decision proved a catalyst for the Beckham deal to be finalised, with the news all United fans wanted being delivered before kick-off of their final match of the season yesterday.

Kenyon explained: 'One of the unique aspects of David's contract was understanding how his global image could best be utilised to the mutual benefit of the club and David himself.

'But it's important to point out that we never once doubted that David wanted to stay at United.'

Beckham, whose recovery from a broken bone in his left foot is on track to enable him to lead England to the World Cup Finals, will join his team tomorrow a contented man.

He said: 'Sir Alex made it very clear he wanted me to be an important part of the club's future. His word was good enough for me.'

soccernet

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Its great that he has signed a new contract at last. And even better that he went out on the pitch and hugged Fergie after signing. That shows that at least we have a bit of team spirit.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Well done becks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts