Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IT'S NOT OVER YET SAYS WENGER

ARSENE WENGER tonight warned Chelsea that "a lot can change" in the race for the Barclays Pre miership title after Arsenal overcame an unfortunate Portsmouth side at Fratton Park.

The home side could count themselves unlucky to finish empty-handed, and leaders Chelsea will not relish their trip to the south coast on December 28.

It took Sol Campbell's first Premiership goal in 16 months, with 15 minutes left on the clock, to decide the outcome of an engaging match and nudge Arsenal above Everton and into second place.

It was suggested to Wenger that Chelsea look unstoppable, but he argued: "That is not my belief. A lot can happen over the season. A lot can change.

"What was important is that we got another win at Portsmouth. We showed our belief is back and that we can work hard and take the points.

"We knew this would be a big test. Portsmouth beat Manchester United here and anybody can beat anybody.

"I felt we made four good chances in the first half but it was a real fight in the second half and we had to show resilience. When (Aiyegbeni) Yakubu came on as substitute he gave us problems and he is a real handful."

Campbell's strike 15 minutes from time was the only goal of the game at Fratton Park. He ran through midfield and unleashed a 30-yard drive which flew into the net.

"He does that in training sometimes but with defenders the ball either flies in or finishes in the stand," said Wenger.

"He has come back well into the team after his injury and there is no doubt about his future with us. We will make an announcement when he signs a new contract but there are no problems."

Arsenal's win was marred, though, by news of an injury to Spanish striker Jose Antonio Reyes who could be out for two weeks with a damaged knee.

"I had to make a late decision today to play Gael Clichy in Reyes's position but the injury is not too bad, even though he had to sit in the stand. There are a lot of games coming up quickly now and they could have a strong influence," said Wenger.

"But I'm taking it that the Christmas matches started today and we've made a good start."

Portsmouth coach Joe Jordan - running the team with executive director Velimir Zajec until chairman Milan Mandaric names a successor to Harry Redknapp - said: "The hard reality is that we didn't take our chances. It is disappointing because having worked so hard to contain a team like Arsenal in the first half, we then pushed on after half-time but didn't take our opportunities when we made them.

"We have experienced players like Patrik Berger and Amdy Faye and they took up the baton when we had the game in our favour, but we couldn't find a finish.

"I don't want to blame individuals, but when Campbell scored the goal, Yakubu was lying injured in the six-yard box and nobody seemed sure who should pick him up.

"It was a good shot but still a disappointing outcome for us.

"I'm not getting paranoid about it because the players have done well and deserve credit. We had four games unbeaten before this but I'm not talking about my prospects being improved by performances.

"I just want to be part of the coaching set-up whenever a new structure is put in place. I'm not applying for the manager's job."

For me ...its not finish yet .i think they can come back ,,

http://www.westpress.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=145787&command=displayContent&sourceNode=145780&contentPK=11524307

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
why the fuk would anyone think it is finished ? we are not even halfway yet, we have never been top at christmas in any of our previous three titles under Wenger, we are in our usual lurking behind the leader position. :proud:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
why the fuk would anyone think it is finished ? we are not even halfway yet, we have never been top at christmas in any of our previous three titles under Wenger, we are in our usual lurking behind the leader position. :proud:
Well, that's rather simple. bokiko has a leaf of lettuce in his head.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
khimik said:
Gee, what happened to the "ARSEnal are finished !!" bollocks of, what, two weeks ago?
If it makes you feel better, old stick.

Arsenal are finished! Chokers!!!!1111oneoneone!

Sorry if I'm not enthusiastic enough, but I'm not Haroon, you know! I'm trying my best! :D

·
63,337 Posts
there is still plenty of Arsenal are crap on these boards and will be no matter what, even if we win the EPL it will be "you choke in Europe", if we win the CL it will be "it is a one off and you only beat crappy sides, to be great you have to win back to back CLs"

:D

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
there is still plenty of Arsenal are crap on these boards and will be no matter what, even if we win the EPL it will be "you choke in Europe", if we win the CL it will be "it is a one off and you only beat crappy sides, to be great you have to win back to back CLs"

:D
And if we do that "you have to win three in a row"
And if we do that "you have to win ten in a row"

etc.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
i wouldnt get how its finished, its still mathematically possible

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Jern, but with this anti-Haroon and anti-Diavolo campaign which you and khimik are working out , don't u think the overall Arsenal image will improve on XT from now on? ;)

nEEbz

·
63,337 Posts
nEEbz said:
Jern, but with this anti-Haroon and anti-Diavolo campaign which you and khimik are working out , don't u think the overall Arsenal image will improve on XT from now on? ;)

nEEbz

it's going to be hard to discredit Diavolo, he is seen as a God by the Milan fans because he has been to the San Siro, Haroon is hugely respected also for his, eerm.... lengthy match previews. :D

·
63,337 Posts
khimik said:
Milan vs. Arsenal has to happen this season, the banter would be incredible! :D

we might have it anyway, we had some great banter last year, a thread lasting pages and pages, and that was only because we had a chance of meeting them in the draw that was going to be made. :D

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
yeah I remember that thread.

Paratroopa started in our forum and suddenly Arsenal forum was charged with the Milanistas all around the world trying to prove some point. ;)

Anyways, with their high flying end in to UCL hopes in Riazor , it all calmed down :D

nEEbz

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Henry ---- extra motivation , runner-up in both awards.

I bet my money on Arsenal , i think when chelsea start losing , they will suffer too.

January 1 Liverpool v Chelsea :D:D:D

·
Registered
738 Posts
chelsea arent invincible....they're just on a high now, they'll slip up soon i hope:D
lets just hope liverpool can put up a good result when they play them.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
khimik said:
Gee, what happened to the "ARSEnal are finished !!" bollocks of, what, two weeks ago?

IMO i Totally respect this man (wenger) and I trust his words! He is one of the best managers ever (even that I support Manutd) but this is the truth! he is better than sir ALEX i think , :strong:

I hate ARSEnal as a club ,, but I love some players such as ashly cole , Cesc , Viera and ADAMs

But when ever WENGER says that he can do this thing, i respect his word, he know what to say about his team and what not to say,

That’s why I said before they are done and now yes I say they might be back, and strongly back!

and I hope NOT :irritate:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts