Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Vieira story a joke

I can`t belive this Vieira is on his way crap who are going on in the media . What Paddy said was: I talking about my future with the club BUT IN MY MIND EVEYTHING IS CLEAR. I think that sounds more like that he is negoating a new contract than anything else.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
so you don't think aresenal has got any worldclass players in the current team?the team is packed with superstars for god sake!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I completely agree with Nick, we have lots of stars. But if Paddy "leaves" as so many people are saying these days, we will feel his absence. But i really feel he won't leave.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I can understand what Viera is going through...

In fact, who isn't gonna be frustrated if the entire Arsenal midfield depends on him alone! What he really meant was, he needs more "working" midfielders to play along side him... I think you guys are smart enough to see that our midfield is one of the worst areas in the team, don't you think?

So, losing him will definitely put Arsenal in the bottom of the league table despite the "STARS" they have in the team. (With due respect to Arsenal)
We would'nt want to see that happenin?!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
New Blood is desperately needed. bergkamp is good, but sell him and get some youngsters. Who are the up and commers on the team? I mean 21 or 22 yrs old.?

R

·
0 Posts
Our midfield

"Arsenal", that is a ludicrous statement! So with Vieira, Edu, Pires, Parlour, Ljungberg, Lauren, Grimandi and next season Pennant our midfield is one of the worst areas of the team? Our defence and attack have much bigger problems. Again, a really odd statement.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Re: Our midfield

ron manager said:
"Arsenal", that is a ludicrous statement! So with Vieira, Edu, Pires, Parlour, Ljungberg, Lauren, Grimandi and next season Pennant our midfield is one of the worst areas of the team? Our defence and attack have much bigger problems. Again, a really odd statement.
Hello...? How often did you watch Arsenal's game by the way?

Come on, I'm being their fan for more than a decade, yet I'm still bold enough to come out with that statement...

Ok... let me analyse it for you...

Need no comments for Viera and Pires.

Edu... since he's 7 million pounds move, What situation that he actually contributed besides his own goal?... Well, you may say, he needs time to adapt... Well, professional players need only to adapt the team's tactically... not ball skills?!

Ljungberg... He is good...he's got good speed, good ball control and that's fine with me, but how often did he lose the ball or get carried away after scoring a goal? Poor mentality!

Parlour? A joke! So hardworking... So enthusiastic... So good at passing... So easily pushed!!! He is not strong enough to face a bigger sized opponents...He is totally blacked out! You may say, if he was'nt good enough, why the heck Sevn picked him for the England squad?
Okay, just between you and me, let me know when Sven gonna picked him for ANY match, okay?

Grimandi? Another joke! So good at sheilding dangerman... But once he got the ball, he does'nt know what to do with it! You call that a good midfielder?

Lauren... Not that bad... he's got that creativity in him... But most of the time, he is very dormant!

Pennant?...Zzzz need time of course! He's still young! If he could do wonders in a very short time, like ASHLEY COLE, then its definitely a gurantee first 11 for him in future!

What Arsenal needs is more SOLID MIDFIELD to control the game, to contain the ball and despatch the ball without having any major problems... Arsenal is definitely weak in Midfield. Can you see that, most of the time, the ones who contained the balls and controlled the game are the french players in the team? Viera, Pires and Henry! There are 11 field players...not 3!

Okay...I guess that's about it...
Loved to hear from you again ron!

[Edited by {Arsenal} on 03-06-2001 at 02:28]

R

·
0 Posts
Nooooooo! I just spent 30 minutes typing a reply to you and my computer crashed!

Ok, I'll try to be quick:

Grimandi - an ok squad player. Not good, but does the job.

Parlour - all British Arsenal fans love Parlour, and none would say he is a "joke". He is not a great player, but he has Arsenal in his blood, unlike Anelka. Also, if he is weak, as you say, then Pires is a baby (Parlour tackles - Pires does not tackle). If he is so bad why has Wenger played him every time he is fit? He is important to our team, all the players say so.

Ljungberg - what is a "poor mentality"(he enjoys scoring goals too much?!!)? You do not explain your comments.

Lauren - this was his first season. He will get much better.

Pires - started badly, has got much better. Still not physical enough (not a "solid" player as you put it). Now a very important player.

Edu - now you make me very mad. He has played two games for Arsenal, and is still adjusting to a totally different league after overcoming terrible problems (the passport, being robbed, his sister dying), but already you know he's not good enough! Maybe Wenger is an idiot and you are right. Because of one own goal he has no technical ability! Maybe we should sell Silvinho - he also scored an own goal in that match. All the English newspapers say he is strong, can tackle and has an excellent left foot (like Petit). They say he has good technical ability. I have seen him play and I can tell you he is quality. Most Arsenal fans are waiting to see how good Edu is, but you already know. What have you seen that no one else has seen?
If we followed your logic we would have sold Henry, Pires and Silvinho because they did not have a good start to their Arsenal careers.

Also, you say that Pires, Henry and Vieira are the main players who contain and despatch the ball. Wrong. Henry and Pires do not win ("contain") the ball: they use it. Vieira, Lauren Parlour and Ljungberg win the ball. Pires and Henry do not tackle well: they pass well. Maybe you mean something different, if so I apologise.

You did not answer my main point, which is this: why do you think our midfield is more important than scoring or defending against goals? If we had a Fowler-type striker we would have beaten Valencia and we would have won the FA Cup. If we had younger world class central defenders and a younger right back we would not have lost 6-1 to Man Utd. These are the real issues. Why does Vieira not having a partner affect the number of goals our strikers score, or our defenders concede? We have many chances, but do not score enough goals. If our midfield is so bad and Vieira is struggling and needs help why was Vieira the best player in the premiership (you need to be with good players to show you are the best midfielder: you cannot do it alone in a terrible team)? Why did he have his best season when he is in so much trouble? Watch the Liverpool cup final again, and the Arsenal-Valencia match. See the chances Henry misses. If he scores, we win. But he doesn't. This is our worst problem. We need a natural striker, a Fowler, a Philips, a Trezeguet. Yes, we need another midfielder, but not as much as a reliable striker.

We need better players in all areas, but first a striker.

So, you have not answered my question: why is the midfield worse than the attack? Why do we need a midfielder more than a world class striker? And how do you know Edu is so bad?

Not angry, just confused.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Firstly, my apologies if you're a an EDU fan... I did'nt meant it that way...Sorry :)

I know he had played couple of reserve games and he's down with 3 months injury... following that, some family problems occur...

Firstly, I'd didn't blame him for his own goal... It's football, not any PLAYSTATION GAME... things happen...
What I really meant was, he should'nt have taken a lot of time adapting to Arsenal's tactical play... Personally, he is a good buy... However, a lot of expectation is pinning on him (Hail the next, PETIT), and I guess that's why he does'nt perform...

And to answer your little question on why we need better Midfield than Forward...
Simple! What's the use of scoring 4 goals if you'd conceded 5! It is quite unfair to say that the defenders were TOTALLY at fault on the match against MAN UTD... The back 4 were all rookies... but not the MIDFIELDERS! They were ALL FIRST 11!!! Why did'nt they provide enough cover for the team, and letting the inexperience defenders took them on?

I guess you still did'nt see the importance of a MIDFIELD players... It is always the case,(even my friends too)did'nt see it too... When they could'nt score, you blame the Strikers, When you concede, you blame the defenders! Sounds familiar?

A Solid Midfield is just like a PORSHE... You'll ride in confidence... When you have a strong Midfield, you will have better coverage in defence as well as offence! Good for the team's confidence! If that's not the case, why Viera keep bragging over PETIT and OVERMARS but not Silvinho or some other Striker of Defenders...??? Got me???

And to Debate on Viera being the PFA best player...There are many reasons... BUT! My only main reason as to why he got the award is;

He had a pretty rough season where he received 2 RED cards, and had a few problems with the REFs ruling but he manage to redeem himself by making more conservative tackles where he behaves for the rest of the season... A true REBEL turn ANGEL... A fine Model for any young players... Other than his great passing, there is no other reason!!! That's why he was voted!

Could you name me any players who show any good example? Only him right?!

And finally....Ljungberg! Ahhh... Good hair colour all the time! Yes!! In layman's term, he's got a poor psychological brains... Yes, he'd love to score goals...I love he's ball control skills and his temper, but if you had watch all the matches which he'd scored, You'd realise that Wenger will substitute him after the a while. Why?... Well, What I mean by "carried away" was'nt the gestures that he made after scoring a goal got carried away! No, that was not it! He seem to get obsessed by the goals he scored which effect his play by failing to pass to other teammates and took another shot for himself...

Everyone is entitle to their opinion though... Such "debates" which I called it, is healthy in such forum... We will be able to share views and some areas which we fail to see! I understand, from the way you defend your views, I know you're a DIE HARD FAN, and I am too! However, I still do think that they need a SOLID MIDFIELDERS and of course, A PROFILIC STRIKER to go with it!

R

·
0 Posts
Interesting...Some points I agree, others...

Ljungberg - I think he gets substituted because he works so damn hard! He runs around the whole match, of course he gets tired. Plus, who are you gonna substitute - Vieira or Pires? No way! You're gonna take off Parlour, or Ljungberg or Lauren. Henry is more selfish than Ljungberg, if you're talking about guys who just try to score when they should pass.

Vieira - the only reason he is given that award is because he makes more conservative tackles and behaves like a good boy? How about because he is easily our best player and dominates more games than any other player in the Premiership? He was the best, that's why he got the Carling award! If they voted for the other awards at the end of the season (not halfway through) he would have won those too! This was his best season at Arsenal - he did so much by himself. So I know what you mean, he cannot do everything, he needs help. But Nakata ain't gonna help him, Petit isn't coming back. Who do we buy? Edu has not played for the Arsenal yet, not really (2 games), he is Wenger's choice, and we have Lauren, who was excellent when he played in the centre. I'm happy with them. After all, we can't afford Veron, Davids is banned, Helguera isn't leaving. Who should we get?

You're never gonna make me believe that it was our midfield who made Henry miss against Valencia and Liverpool though ;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
ron manager said:
Interesting...Some points I agree, others...
You're never gonna make me believe that it was our midfield who made Henry miss against Valencia and Liverpool though ;)
That I agree!
But if you'd had read my previous thread on Trezeguet... I see Henry as a Left Winger rather than a Striker! Yes, he score goals but he is not a natural Poacher! Eg, Kluivert, Trezeguet and Shevchenko are!

The match against Liverpool and Valencia... Is not our MIDFIELD that cause Henry to miss...That I too can agree...

But with good MIDFIELD in the future, we will have control of the game, we will provide more chances for the forwards to score, as well as providing as much cover for the defence!

Probably, we can see more of EDU next season...I'm keen too! I was actually hoping for DAVIDS to come, but unfortunately he is banned! So I'll keep my fingers crossed on NAKATA at the moment!

I can see you blame a lot of Henry... From the way you put it, it's like you blame him for all the cup defeats... Is it true? :)

R

·
0 Posts
No, I don't really blame Henry. I blame Wenger for not buying a Fowler/Shevchenko style striker to finish the chances. He knows Henry is not a real striker. I talk about Henry because he had the important chances. There are others too, we must have the most wasteful side in world football - they can't score easy goals! And they can't head the ball.

Also, a better midfield to make more chances is always good, but IMO we created enough chances last year to win the premiership! 99-00 we had more shots on goal than any other team, and 00-01 we were second in attempts only to Man U. If we had the striker to take the chances, I don't think we would be talking so much about Nakata etc. For two years now all Arsenal fans are saying "Please Uncle Wenger, buy another Ian Wright!", and so far, he hasn't done it.

But you want Trezeguet? What are his qualities? What do you think of Jeffers - we're getting strong links to him(he looks expensive to me).
Philips is too old, even though he loves Arsenal from childhood and had the European Boot last season. Just anybody who will score simple goals, and can head the ball!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
well wenger bought wiltord, this was the man to replace ian wright. AS far as im concerned the only similiraity is that they are both Black.

Wiltord tries to comes deep to get the ball, But then he is out of position when the poachers chance comes! He has no control, no skill and cant pass a ball. He tries to turn to his left side yet cant kick the ball with his left foot :confused:

He is a very over rated player and one that should not be near the arsenal side. Buy Phillips, get Petit back, English sides play with creative wingers, not attacking playmaking central midfielders. Thats Why Scholes has changed his game from a Playmaker, and thats why players like Ljungberg have survived at this level.

One comment but: Your midfeidl I AGREE is not good enough, apart from your lack of quality in the middle, look at your wide men : lauren, Parlour, Pires, and Ljungberg..

Pires is the only true quality. Parlour is a worker, the breadwinner who can tackle and pass... thats it.

Ljungberg is incosisitent and gives the ball away too much. Very Petulant but workth working with because if you look at him since the FA cup semi loss to man U he has come on 100%

Lauren has not been all that impressive this season and is an option to sell to get money!

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
So {Arsenal}, a new midfielder you say? And ron manager you say we need a new striker?

You both can be right...all matters about personal views.
I think our midfield are very good though:

*Robby Pires-Had a pretty hard start of the season, then became more and more the player we used to know from the french national team. Pure Star Quality. May be a bit weak but has other skills so he doesnt have to be a body builder to be good ;)

*Ray Parlour-I cant see why ANYONE think Razor isnt good!
He allways works his heart out, loves Arsenal, and never starts any fights when he has to sit on the bench. Also a very important player off hte field. A dream for a manager...

*Lauren-Got very good skills and I think he will become even better next season. but will it be like central midfielder or as a right-defender?

*Gilles Grimandi-His versitility is important for the team. As a defender I think he's "ok" but as midfielder he's never does a bad game but doesnt shine either. Solid.

*Edu-COME ON GUYS!!! He's been in England just some months and has just played 2 first team games. Should we allready jugde him?? I dont think so...Give him time and we'll see if he will turn out to be the "perfect partner" to Paddy.

*Paddy Vieira-All that doesnt think Paddy is suberb havent seen him played...Paddy got it all! :) Give him whatever he wants just never ever let him leave Highbury! :)

*Fredrik Ljungberg-PURE CLASS! :) Freddie might be the most hard working of our midfielder...he win back the balls, he runs, he dribbles, he scores... :)
{Arsenal} said:
Ljungberg... He is good...he's got good speed, good ball control and that's fine with me, but how often did he lose the ball or get carried away after scoring a goal? Poor mentality!
Ehh? Poor mentality to never give up?
Ok...he might be selfish now and then, he's been that since he was a kid. Would you rather want him to make simple passes instead of atleast trying to challenge the opposite with some dribble???
Freddie is next to Paddy the most important midfielder in Arsenal.

*Jemraine Pennant-Arsenals wonderkid! :) Will get his break through next season....

Still we might need a midfielder, simply because we doesnt have that good back-up. When all our fit Im not worried AT ALL but when we got two injuries we have some problems. BUT if Pennant comes into the team next season we will have one very good sub.
Nakata seems like a likely signing...I wouldnt mind him at all. If we wants to win the FA Carling Championship we will have to have a big squad so bring up Pennant to the 1:st squad and buy Nakata! :)

Now to our attack...
We miss a lot of chances, but atleast we have MANY chances so we get out goals sooner or later.
Wiltord is a profilic striker, I think he showed that the ending half of the season.
Bergy and Kanu has had some problems this season...
Im not sure if the right thing to do is to buy a new striker is the thing to do...
Bergy still got some years in him and I wouldnt be surprised if he scores more next season.
Wiltord will play an important role in Arsenal next season, and probably the player that plays most games 2:nd to Henry in the attack next year.
Kanu has been poor this season, no doubt about it. But he's been better lately I think and I really like his skills...

As it seams for the moment Wenger is looking for a 5:th striker...
Who would be best for us???
I would go for a tehniuqe skilled,creative,ball genius that scores very many goals...ohh sorry ;) There's only one IAN WRIGHT! :)

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Isn't it Vieira, and not Viera? It seems that too many people confuse Vieira's name with Vieri's. Even Arsenal fans... ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Yes!!! Someone likes Parlour! Thanks Wakky!

About the midfield, I agree. Sometimes Freddie goes nowhere with the ball, but that's what happens when you're trying to go forward, beat people. He does for us what Scholes and Bowyer do for ManU and Leeds.

I still think Pires is our second best midfielder - he is our brains.

Wiltord - plays too deep and wide, not a box striker. Right now we have two "creative forwards" who don't score or get into the penalty area enough, one winger turned striker and a guy who runs around 100 km/hr the whole match but only gets into the box twice! They all have good qualities, sure, but they don't all have what we need.

Beechy, what do you make of the strong Jeffers links? Personally, I don't want a guy that ugly playing in my team - we already have Keown and Kanu.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wiltord dribbles too much... He gets around players but loses the ball in the end... He must have realise that EPL players are not that easy to deal with huh?!

Yes "LACK OF WIDE PLAYERS" that's the word I'm trying to say to ron... Lack of WIDE PLAYERS means lack of creativity, lack of creativity means lack of goals... But the middle too needs help don't you think?

Anyway,who else would you consider a deadly poacher? Despite being the EX-REBEL in Arsenal... I would really consider him to come back... ANELKA!
Or maybe sell Wiltord for TREZEGUET... or work things out with PATRICK KLUIVERT....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts