Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, for my first story back, I decided it would be fun to manage in Scandanavia, a place where I have very little management experience since CM 03/04 with IFK Göteborg. Now, I am packing my warm clothes and journeying into the cold as I manage through the six countries and five leagues that make up Scandanavia in WWSM 2006.

All leagues from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland are loaded and additionally, all players from the Faroe Islands are loaded. I will be using Worldwide Soccer Manager 2006 version 6.0.3 with data update and a large database, starting in January 2005.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't realize so many people did FH. Oh well, should be fun, and this is a career, so I will probably move on at some point. :)

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
January 2005​

Introduction
Nick Rosano stepped out of the bus in the center of Hafnafjördhur as a winter storm raged around him. He slipped on the ice as he made his way from the bus, attempting to find himself a cab, as an Atlantic gale battered him. Most people would be insane to be in an Icelandic winter, the worst in a long while, but Nick had a job to accomplish. He was the first American to manage football in Iceland, and he wanted to make good of it. So what if the season started in the dead of winter? His task was to guide the up and coming local football club, which he and his compatriots called FH instead of trying to sort out the nine syllables that made up its proper name. Certainly the board was expecting Rosano to win FH a title, but beyond that they were hoping that the club would lead Iceland's charge into Europe. They were taking a gamble on Rosano, who had come on the recommendation of a former board member living in the USA, but they felt he was the man for the job.

---

So here I am, setting up my office in Iceland. I have a feeling this job could be the start of something big. FH are a powerful team in Iceland, and success here could lead me to greater heights. However, the board has given me no money to spend, and a fairly small wage budget for players, so I'll have to make do. It's not like many players would want to come to a semi-professional team from Iceland anyways. At least the squad looks decent. We have a number of Icelandic internationals, and even a Dane crazy enough to play up here.

In goal, our first choice will probably be the imposing veteran keeper Dadi Lárusson, who will have two able backups, Ólafur Pór Gunnarsson and Valpór H Halldórsson, making a solid set of keepers. There is also the young Jóhannes Steinar Kristjánsson who is not that great. He is up for loan at the moment but his future is probably not at FH.

Our defense is solid up front, but we lack decent backup. On the right we will probably start Iceland international Audun Helgason, who is also an able center-back. Sverrir Gardarsson looks like a solid understudy for him who has a huge career ahead of him at the age of 20, at Ásgeir Gunnar Ásgeirsson looks like a decent backup, but could be sold if funds are needed. On the left we will probably start Freyr Bjarnason, who can play center-back as well, though we do want to find a backup. Our top two center-backs are Dane Tommy F. Nielsen and Ármann Smári Björsson. The former is solid and can also play left-back and defensive mid, but could be coming to the end of his playing days at the age of 32. The latter is a solid young player who is also a great target man striker. Our backup though isn't as solid with Róbert Magnússon not being up to snuff. Most of our full-backs can also play center-back though, which is a good development.

In the midfield our star is defensive midfielder Heimir Gudjónsson, who unfortunately is retiring at the end of the season, but has great stats. Baldur Bett is also a great midfielder who has fairly good technical attributes but has outstanding mental and physical attributes for this level. Heimir Snær Gudmundsson is also an able midfielder and although he doesn't have the stats now, he displays plenty of potential. In the attacking portion of our midfield, Jónas Grani Gardarsson looks to be the star, though he is aging at 31. Hermann Albertsson is the only half-decent backup though, which is a problem. The wings look fine, with Atli Vidar Björnsson being our top-choice right-winger while Iceland international Tryggvi Gudmundsson is easily first choice left-winger. Though we technically don't have any backups, most of our forwards can be wingers as well.

Speaking of forwards our top two are Tryggvi Gudmundsson (not to be confused with our left winger) and Jón Porgrimúr Stefánsson, who is also a good right winger. Beyond that we have Ólafur Páll Snorrason as a backup, but he's honestly not that good. Gudmunder Sævarsson, Sigmundur Pétur Ástpórsson, and Atli Gudnason are pretty crap and are transfer listed.

Overall I feel our starting XI is solid, but we could use more depth, especially at striker and defense. Here is my projected starting XI:

T Gudmundsson-Stefánsson
Gardarsson
T Gudmundsson-A Björnsson
Gudjónsson
Bjarnason-Á Björnsson-Nielsen-Helgason
Lárusson​

---

There were no competitive matches during January. I took the reigns in a friendly match against First Division side Völsungur in which I guided my boys to a deserved 5-0 romp. I let my assistant take over and he guided us to wins in our other four friendlies.

In transfer news however, Tryggvi Gudmundsson has rejected our latest contract offer, which could be a huge blow. Also, he has less than six months left, which could see him leave for free despite his £375K value.

We signed two new coaches, Swede Thomas Gustafsson and Faroe Islander Ingi Rasmussen.

Media speculation saw us tipped for the title in the 18-game season, but I declined comment. I have a good feeling, but we will get there when we get there.

January Results

Friendly
Völsunger (D1) 0-5 FH
Afturelding (LL) 1-3 FH
Víkingur (D1) 1-2 FH
Selfoss (LL) 0-2 FH
Víkingur Ó (D1) 2-3 FH

D1=Icelandic First Division
LL=Icelandic Lower League

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
February 2005​

In international news, striker Pétur Sigurdsson, on loan at ÍBV bagged a goal on his Iceland U21 debut in a 3-1 victory over Canada. For the senior team, Audun Helgason came off the bench and set up a goal as Iceland defeated Canada 2-0. In addition, one Scandanavian team played in World Cup Qualifying, with Denmark battling to a 0-0 away draw at Greece. In friendlies, Finland drew 2-2 at home to Croatia, Norway suffered an 0-1 home defeat to Holland, Sweden lost 1-0 away to Scotland, and the Faroes were inactive.

In transfer news we let go of Atli Gudnason to First Division side KS for just a 20% sell-on fee.

On to competitive matches, we hosted newly-promoted Próttur in the first Group A match of the Upper League Cup, a preseason competition for Premier Division teams and the top First Division teams. Unfortunately we were cursed by the dreaded super-keeper and couldn't put anything past them. However, we were awarded a penalty soon in the second half, and Audun Helgason made no mistake. Although we had plenty of chances, we ended up not needing them as we cruised to a relatively easy 1-0 win.

For our only other game of the month we traveled to fellow Premier Division side ÍA. We scored after Gudmundsson capitalized on a defensive mistake and centered it to Stefánsson, who slotted it into an open goal. However, they pulled one back after a poor marking job by our defenders. We nearly had the winning goal, but unfortunately Stefánsson was denied a brace by the linesman's flag and we had to settle for a 1-1 draw in a very even match.

February Results

Icelandic Upper League Cup
2/19/05: FH 1-0 Próttur (PRM) [A. Helgason pen56; MoM: E Lárusson (Próttur)]
2/26/05: ÍA (PRM) 1-1 FH [Eyjólfsson 56; Stefánsson 25; MoM: Stefánsson (FH)]

PRM=Icelandic Premier Division

·
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
42,192 Posts
noticed the 2 Gudmundssons ?? born on the same day with the same height and weight ? :howler:

BTW i really owned the Icelandic league with FH :D

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha I didn't notice the same day and height/weight. Twins? :)

Oh yeah...should I care about the Upper League Cup?

·
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
42,192 Posts
naervod said:
Haha I didn't notice the same day and height/weight. Twins? :)

Oh yeah...should I care about the Upper League Cup?
The ULC is a good preliminairy for the season :)

and about the Gudmundssons i think its a database error :D but take advantage of it :cool: both are great players :D the striker version can bagg 30+ goals and the winger version maybe around 20 assists.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of the Gudmundsson's (the winger I think) wants to leave, which is unfortunate, but yeah, I have recognized their talent. ;)

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
March 2005​

The month of March was all about advancing through the 8-team group of the Upper League Cup. We kicked off with a trip to possible title challengers Fylkir. They were a strong side and went ahead midway through the half after some poor defending. They then scored again soon after when our keeper spilled a shot for their waiting striker to put away. We were looking pretty hopeless after poor defending resulted in another goal for them. To add to our problems, our strikers had no nose for goal. I had a go at them in the locker room and Gudmundsson responded with his first ever goal volleyed in from a corner off the post. Our joy was short-lived as Larusson proved inept in goal again as they put a fourth past us. In the end we slumped to a 1-4 loss and I ripped the boys in the locker room.

We faced another possible title challenger, KR at home in our next fixture, which would hopefully get us a better result. We got off to a flyer, with Gardarsson latching onto a loose ball in the box to drive it home. We had a comfortable half, taken a deserved lead in with us at the break. They were alot more composed and played better football after the break, but the two Gudmundssons combined to extend our lead just over ten minutes from time. Dadi Lárusson bounced back from his abysmal performance in the previous game to produce a number of top notch saves to keep our lead and clean sheet, and we came out 2-0 winners.

Unfortunately the left-winger Gudmundsson went down in training with an injury and will miss the next 1-4 weeks, which could hurt us in a tight Group A race.

In transfer news, Tommy Nielsen has turned down our latest contract offer, but I suspect that it is because of his age. We also let Sigmundur Pétur Ástpórsson go for free to First Division side KS.

On the international scene, Heimir Snær Gudmundsson had a fairly poor game as Iceland U21 lost to Croatia U21 in the Euro U21 qualifiers. The senior team lost respectably 1-0 away to Croatia, with the striker Gudmundsson and Helgason playing in the match, though not spectacularly. Ten-man Denmark easily defeated Kazakhstan 2-0 at home Finland battled to a 0-0 draw away at the Czechs, and Sweden won 1-0 away to Bulgaria. In the second set of March qualifiers Norway drew 1-1 away to Moldova and Denmark earned a 1-1 away draw with Ukraine. All other Scandanavian teams were inactive (the Faroes were also inactive on the first day).

March Results

3/9/05: Fylkir (PRM) 1-4 FH [Gíslason 26, 42, 53, Takefusa 33; Gudmundsson 48; MoM: Gíslason (Fylkir)]
3/19/05: FH 2-0 KR (PRM) [Gardarsson 5, Gudmundsson 78; MoM: D Lárusson (FH)]

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
March 2005​

We kicked off the month with a trip to Grindavík, continuing our Upper League Cup campaign. Gardarsson put us ahead after a nice bit of work and a nice assist from the striker Gudmundsson. It was a fairly even match with both sides getting some premium chanes, but with us getting a few more. Gardarsson scored a spectacular second, taking a nice ball from Albertsson and hitting a beautiful lob over the keeper to secure the points and put us top of our group on goal differential on a 2-0 scoreline.

Unfortunately, it looks like the winger Gudmundsson might not be with us much longer as we cannot offer him nearly what he wants, and he has also attracted the interest of Grasshopper, one of the bigger Swiss teams.

That aside, we faced First Division side Por next in the Upper League Cup for what could very well secure us a qualification. We got off to a good start when the Gudmundssons combined to score a fine goal that sliced through the opposing defense. We worked through them again with the winger Gudmundsson setting up Björnsson for a classy volley and another goal. Helgason slammed home a penalty close to time and just before they had a player sent off to seal a deserved 3-0 victory that sends us through to the quarters.

In our last group match we faced the hapless Breidablik, a First Division side who sat bottom. Our strikers were hapless in their own right though until just into the second half when the striker Gudmundsson scored off of a spectacular individual effort and a magnificent shot. Gudmundsson scored again from another great shot after a pinpoint cross. They grabbed a consolation late on, but it was too late as we held on for a 2-1 win.

Another bit of good news came when we found that Tommy Nielsen, twice MoM this month secured a contract extension with us until September of 2006.

We next faced fellow Premier Division side ÍBV in the Quarter-Final of the Upper League Cup. We got off to a flyer when Stefánsson broke through the defens and put it away after just two minutes. We netted soon after when Gardasson broke the offside trap with a brilliant ball up to the striker Gudmunsson, who put it awaay with ease. Stefánsson netted his second with a nice bit of dribbling and a cool finish. Gudmundsson then got his brace after collecting off a defensive mishap and slotting it home as we were firmly in control at the break. We created more opportunities after the break, but at the end it was a very comfortable 4-0 win.

In our last match of a month packed full of cup games we faced Fram (ISL) in the Semis, while KR faced Fylkir in the other game. We kicked off the scoring with Gudmundsson drilling it in after a pinpoint cross from Stefánsson. The provider of the assist then scored around 30 minutes, taking the ball almost from his own half and putting it away. Gudmundsson then scored another as we cruised into halftime. They pulled two back in quick sucession after the break. We looked pretty shaky after that, but held on for a 3-2 win and a trip to the Final against Fylkir, who triumphed over KR on penalties.

April Results

4/6/05: Grindavík (PRM) 0-1 FH [Gardarsson 14, 86; MoM: Jónas Grani Gardarsson (FH)]
4/14/05: FH 3-0 Por (D1) [Gudmundsson 6, Björnsson 55, Helgason pen82; MoM: Tommy F. Nielsen (FH)]
4/19/05: Breidablik (D1) 1-2 FH [Áseigeirsson 85; Gudmundsson 58, 78; MoM: Tommy F. Nielsen (FH)]
4/27/05 (Quarter-Final): FH 4-0 ÍBV (PRM) [Stefánsson 2, 21, Gudmundsson 15, 34; MoM: Tryggvi Gudmundsson (FH)]
4/30/05 (Semi-Final): FH 3-2 Fram (PRM) [Gudmundsson 8, 37, Stefánsson 33; Dadason 56, Sigurdsson 57; MoM: Tryggivi Gudmundsson (FH)]

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
None, and there are few players willing to sign for me, so my transfer options are pretty limited as of now.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I downloaded the 6.0.3 patch for WWSM and now apparently it thinks I'm playing the demo, so at the moment I can't play more than 6 months into the game. I'm going to try and fiddle with this now.

EDIT: Basically, I have installed WWSM 6.0.2 on my Mac, where it works even better, except now I have no saves. I will not quit this story, but I might have a new one while I sort out things with 6.0.3.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts