Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i believe the transfer market is closed and to everyones surprise, Moggi didnt get Ferrari or any defender for that matter.

so, we loaned out Davids (one of the worlds best midfielders), Olivera (very much needed to play elsewhere), Fresi (thank god) and Zalayeta (same as olivera).

We brought in Blasi (Good young midfielder) who is banned until April.

So, lets recap. We are in need of a defender and we brought in a midfielder who is banned for another 2 months. does this make sense? Does Moggi know something that we dont? Is Montero getting hip replacements in order to make him have some pace? Does Moggi think its more a mental problem than physical problem?

Personally i believe its simply a physical issue. Our centre backs such as Montero, iuliano, ferrara, tudor are not up to it physically anymore. speed, agility and injuries are the main source of problems between those defenders. I think its more mental with legrottaglie and thuram for that matter.

So, has Moggi and Lippi done the correct thing?? Inter needed a quality midfielder and bought Stankovic, one of the best in serie A and added Adriano who is a :star: . Arsenal with reyes, saha to united....all players who were needed. What about us?? Blasi, a player who may not even feature after his ban is finished.

Its not like defenders were not up for sale, Van Buyten went to City on loan until the end of season. That would have been an okay deal for juve. he is a good defender and if he fails, the loan spell ends at the end of the season.

Winning the scudetto or CL is very remote to the least now. You cant win either when leaking as many goals as we do.

Either Moggi has something up his sleeve or Lippi is planning to have 6 players in defence, which to me, still couldnt stop the other teams from scoring against us.

Piss poor effort from Moggi and Lippi to say the least!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
You express the opinion of pretty much everyone. The squad is much thinner now with the departures.

I do not expect the stupid mistakes from our defense as we go on now, because experience shines above those things usually. However the age factor leaves some players in the posistion that Hiero was in with Madrid last year, which we nicely took advantage of.

So either Lippi knows his players will rise to the challenge, or he is off his rocker. :neutral:

Adding players in desparate attempts to improve form doesnt always work out. Inter over the past 15 years or so is a big example.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Reports are saying that u guys got Ferrari and Blasi. Know reports are not official... if you guys had ferrari... it would be a good backliine addition. Also did Iuliano went to parma?

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Exactly what Juve need a Ferrari in Defence:tongue: Maybe DP can play at LB and Thuram up front Hmmm what do you think?:howler:
Well in a way I was surprised that Juve did'nt bring anyone else in,Given their noteable Problems.However who do you think could've been the realistic targets to sign?Ferrari seems one given Parma's problems I guess.;)

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
But if Ferrari came to Juve we would've read something...:(

Or we start playing good from this day on,with a clean sheet against Chievo and a win too...Or we just play this season out and get a respectable Serie A position and CL place...Let's hope for miracles!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Moggi has exposed his imprudent side once again. The main, obviously, has always been the aging defense coupled with a complete lapse in the form of Thuram, and a Legro who hasn't shown shit since he arrived. We should have gone for it, did not. We're the only ones who've been quiet at the window - Moggi hasn't made a single move of significanc, loaning out players who don't play anyway, and brining in a guy who's banned for the rest of the season. If the likes of Appiah and Thuram don't regain form we're in deep shit. Such is the porousness of our goal ratio right now that you really can't imagine Juve winning anything if it goes on like it is.. hopefully Lippi's looking at a change of form - perhaps a 2-3-1 with Maresca in. Hope so..

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
What did you expect exactly? When was the last we made any significant acquisition during the winter window? We never do. Unless results suggest we have no other choice -like back in 98-99. We're still in contention for all the competitions we'd planned to fight for when season kicked off.

Worrying about our defensive issues probably as much as you do, Ferrari among others would've come in handy for sure. But the people in charge did not enter the market because they reckon that the quality is there and that even though it just not clicked as yet, eventually it will. Maybe these people completely lost it, maybe they're spot on -who knows? Time will tell. In any case, they're being true to their ways and reasouning, they don't panick... and I respect that.

Ciao.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but steph, when was the last time we actually conceeded 21 goals in such a small amount of games? We never had to go into the market in january simply because we have never had a serious issue as such in the past decade basically.

Remember when del piero got injured back in 98? Come january, Henry was bought as Moggi knew we only had Inzaghi. There was a major problem and at least Moggi tried to fix it, even though Lotti probably didnt utilise Henry as good as he should have.

I suppose Ferrari would have been good but he also couldnt play for us in the CL either. so there is a factor as well. But nonetheless, there is a major problem in our defence and i dont see it being the team as a whole which is the problem, its mainly down to individuals who are not physically up to it anymore. Some of the marking and defending has been pathetic, secondary school stuff at times.

Apparently Legrottaglie has been playing with an injury which may give him an excuse. So hopefully he finds form and gets passed it. Thuram, Legrottaglie and Zambrotta are all fine for me, its fniding a partner for Legro. Thuram can play in the middle, but birindelli cant play right back as he is out for almost 2 months apparently. Pessotto?? not so sure....i was going to say to move tudor to right back and thuram in the middle but we lose out thuram moving up the right.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Lippi denies defender bid Sunday 1 February, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus boss Marcello Lippi has insisted his club made no attempt to sign a defender in the January transfer window.

Reports last week claimed that the Italian champions, who are struggling defensively, made a bid for Parma¡¦s Matteo Ferrari.

"I can confirm that we didn¡¦t go looking for a defender and even if we were offered one we would have rejected the chance," he stated.

"I have 21 players at my disposal and they will be enough to face the most delicate part of the season."

Juve have been heavily criticised this term after conceding an amazing 21 goals in just 18 games.

"We need to change the mentality of our defending rather than changing players," added Lippi.

"But let us not forget that we are still in all competitions. That is a clear demonstration of the quality that we have here."

The Bianconeri, five points behind leaders Milan, will face Chievo at the Delle Alpi on Sunday.

"They are having more ups and downs than in the past few seasons," noted Lippi. "Yet Chievo are still a well balanced and compact side."

The tactician also commented on Salvatore Fresi (Perugia), Marcelo Zalayeta (Perugia) and Ruben Olivera (Atletico Madrid) who have left on loan for the rest of the season.

"I¡¦m happy that they will get the chance to play more regularly," he added. "I¡¦m also happy with the players that have remained."

Juventus also lost Edgar Davids recently when he joined Barcelona on loan.

channel4

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
CUG said:
but steph, when was the last time we actually conceeded 21 goals in such a small amount of games? We never had to go into the market in january simply because we have never had a serious issue as such in the past decade basically.

Remember when del piero got injured back in 98? Come january, Henry was bought as Moggi knew we only had Inzaghi. There was a major problem and at least Moggi tried to fix it, even though Lotti probably didnt utilise Henry as good as he should have.

I suppose Ferrari would have been good but he also couldnt play for us in the CL either. so there is a factor as well. But nonetheless, there is a major problem in our defence and i dont see it being the team as a whole which is the problem, its mainly down to individuals who are not physically up to it anymore. Some of the marking and defending has been pathetic, secondary school stuff at times.

Apparently Legrottaglie has been playing with an injury which may give him an excuse. So hopefully he finds form and gets passed it. Thuram, Legrottaglie and Zambrotta are all fine for me, its fniding a partner for Legro. Thuram can play in the middle, but birindelli cant play right back as he is out for almost 2 months apparently. Pessotto?? not so sure....i was going to say to move tudor to right back and thuram in the middle but we lose out thuram moving up the right.
You might have misunderstood where I come from, Adrian. I must stress that I never sponsored not buying anyone, reinforcements would've been welcomed all the way. I merely said that I understand and respect the logic behind such inactivity, for want of approving it. They'd just stick to their beliefs what the critics may come. Is that stubborness, guilty passivity, cockiness? Possibly. Are they living in denial? Maybe. Did they throw up the sponge? Not a chance. One oughts to take off one's hat at them should things finally go our way in the 2nd part of the season.

And no, I for one do not believe we're screwed. As much as I would've enjoyed new faces, I'm willing to trust the men in charge. Desperate ills call for desperate remedies. I'm guessing the inner diagnosis is not as alarmist as yours. In 98-99, we were eleventh in the table midway. That's a time to panic... today's not! There are numerous things in our game we badly need to adjust obviously if we intend to be serious contenders. But you always sound awfully pessimistic -not to be taken wrong though! Remember one year ago (?): you had more or less lost the faith. And look what happened in the end. OK easy thing to say afterwards, it doesn't prove anything, but still...

Sure enough, 21 goals let in in just 19 games doesn't ressemble Juventus and its tradition. Like Doc_Rule's thread title in the Liverpool forum reads: our strength has become our Achilles' heel. Montero, Ferrara and Legrottaglie haven't met expectations but what if they get their act together? Miracles do exist. It's not entirely down to their poor performances anyway, there are other people at fault. Personally, I believe our DM's leave our defense way too exposed which leads to approximations and blunders at the back. Sometimes, I really get the impression to watch Real Madrid play, due allowance being made of course. Organization isn't right. If there's a weak area to turn strong, it's gotta be that so if Lippi wanna make things right, it must start from there! How I miss Davids...

Cheer up Adrian, we're soon to discover whether or not a entire season of mediocrity can end up succesfully. But seriously, maybe you pay too much attention to the statistics that say scudetto winners do not concede many goals usually, maybe I don't pay enough attention. One thing's for certain: there are other ways to win things! When all else fails, score a goal more than your opponent and you should be okay!

Ciao.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Yesterday we had everyone but Maresca, Ferrara and Birindelli ready. There was not a single creative midfielder available from the bench, and the only creativity on the bench in all was Miccoli.

It's a problem. Given that Zalayeta has actually done rather well in the cup in midfield roles- it surprised me that he was loaned out, even if it's good for him.

The Davids thing... I don't know. In it's entirety the situation seems a giant failure. We did not get him to sign. We did not get any money for him. We did not insure that he won't be back in Italy with a rival for free in June.... all we did was save a salary, or at least part of a salary.
Olivera... suppose Lippi wouldn't use him anyway, and good riddance Fresi.

The reason we didn't go for anyone is financial and also tied to the fact that our most pressing shortcomings won't be fixed by anyone who isn't cup tied for European games. CL is the priority, and this mercato showed it if we didn't know it before.

Another issue is that Moggi's comments on Stankovic' person and the supposed double contract seems both wrong, unwise and disrespectful. That is- unless we're getting "something" from Lazio/Inter before next season.

Before the season I thought we looked brilliant in all areas. Now I think there's a lot of work to do before next season, but we're still better than last year (on paper) when we did "reasonably" well all things considered :).

The good thing about this campaign is that we did not buy someone just to buy someone. Unless we get the right people in June that is a non-starter though. I will be happy if not going for Ferrari or Stam now means getting Mexés in June for instance. If not getting Santana now means getting Jankulovski in June... ect.

We've had enough of the Baiocco deals, and Baiocco was purchased during the winter break, although he was only to arrive later.

What matters now is getting defence sorted around the players we do have, find the partner for Trez (whether it's DP, Miccoli or Di Vaio... and it's isn't the latter), get Nedved back into shape (at least for the big games) AND give Maresca a role. In my opinion.

And let's not beat about the bush... currently.. we stink.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
does the window close earlier for Italian clubs ? :confused:

in England we have had loads of activity today.....Defoe/Robinson to Spurs ,Lua-Lua to Pompey ,Bridges to Newcastle,Zamora to West Ham,Ricardinho to Boro,Van Buyten to City, are the big ones going through today,there is also loads pending medicals and finance.

two hours to go. :cool:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Agree with Steph, so don't want to reiterate...but to add, I strongly feel that we may well see an influx of new defenders in the summer.

As for now, I won't bother with complaining....I've already done enough of that in the past few weeks :tongue:.....just hoping for the best!

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glen made some very good points. Just thinking about Davids leaving on a free makes me wonder what moggi was thinking. Okay, he didnt want to sign, so dont just let him join on a free loan to barca. moggi shouldve have pressed barca to try and get a player inexchange. They have some players who would be very handy for us. Davids isnt an average player, he is a freaking great player, one of the best in the world when in form. Surely Moggi could have made it hard for barca and asked for a player in return or even a player come june. Motta or Riquelme (if he is still owned by them). I believe that Davids merits a swap for any of those players, even if we have to give a little extra cash. But my point in the end is that Davids just left us for peanuts and as glen stated, he could very well be wearing a roma top or inter top next season.

is Salas still on our books? if so, i was kind of hoping to see whether he could be used somehow instead of being wasted at river. but i suppose that will be handled come june.

And Steph, this time last season, we were lacking firing power if i recall correctly. nedved was the only player doing well, del piero was getting injured, as was trez. di vaio was off and on...there was no miccoli, nor maresca. But our defence was still solid. thuram was playing well, ferrara was doing good and montero/iuliano were not completely shit as they are now. I admit that i wasnt confident this time last season, but with a solid defence, you know you can make it far. We are what Real MAdrid were last season, all scoring and no defence. IMO its totally different this season. we are physically inept in defence, defenders have overwelcomed their stay.

i agree with glen that if we didnt get a ferrari or stam now because we are getting mexes come june, then that may be a good thing. however, wasnt this season meant to be the CL season? cuptied defenders may have been a problem, but there was still a Lucio or Rodriguez for that matter.

Lippi currently has no standard line up which is capable of coming near a milan or Roma. del piero, nedved, di vaio have to get back to their best, as does appiah. needless to say the whole defence as well.

And last but not least, what happens come june? is our defence going to get a whole new look? remember last june how many stated that we should bring in more youngsters because all at once, the likes of ciro, montero, iuliano and fresi will be too old and leave all at once?? well, this will happen in june. Ciro will retire, montero and iuliano sold. big changes in defence all at once is a bad thing in my opinion. I suppose Milan may have this problem in a season or so as well.

anyway, all this is more a future problem but still, i can help but think that maybe certain problems could have been helped this january.

i wont whinge anymore as long as Lippi fixes the team up. if he thinks that the team didnt need reinforcements in january, then he better well prove that he is right. Chievo was a start, not conceeding against them is good compared to copping 3 goals against empoli. but stopping sculli is one thing, trying to stop raul and ronaldo, henry, RVN, Shevchenko, inzaghi, adriano, vieri and so on is another thing.

i hope i'm just taking it to seriously and i hope to eat my own words, but somehow, i dont think i will.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts