Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gooner
6,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel we've had a great season compared to our two previous league campaigns when we finished 4th and were miles awa from top spot. We also had a very good season comprated to what we looked like having last July, when most people thought we would'nt even qualify for the Champions League.

Footballing wise all things been equal i felt we were the best team. But we lost the title cos of injuries to Eduardo, Rosicky and especially our most talented player RVP (How would United and Chelsea have done without Ronaldo half the season).

On top of the refereeing decisions against Middlesboro, Chelsea and Birmingham which cost us the at least 5 points. And of course the phantom ''penalty'' on Babel when Cesc knocked him off balance by tagging him OUTSIDE the box leading to Ryan Babel falling over as Toure run across him and made no physical contact with him.

With 2-3 class signings next season will be ours. COME ON THE ARSENAL:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I think overall, you have to look at the season as a success.

Cesc: Established himself as one of the best midfielders in the world.

Sagna: Dream signing, already the best RB in the EPL.

Clichy: Best LB in the EPL.

Adebayor: Better than last season.

Bendtner: Showed a lot of potential I thought, has the potential to be a fantastic all-around player.

Walcott: Really started to establish himself as a top prospect and a big hope for the future.

Also, Vela is coming as well.

The bottom line is that we improved by 15 points and we should have been in a CL semifinal except for some truly shocking refereeing.

Sure, things went wrong, but I'm certainly hopeful for the future.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
We've made a lot of progress this season - 2 signings and we'd be right up there. That has been complicated by the Flamini and Hleb situations but Wenger's transfer talk is encouraging and I hope for more progress next term.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Well cant really add anything more... We had a good season and I still cant help to think what would happen if we still had Eduardo and Rosicky playing their best. But hopefully next season that trophy will go to the emirates.And also Champions league.
Cmon the Gooners

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
83 points is still championship form even if you did come third. Considering last seasons results and your budget limitations 83 points and a CL semi is nothing but a success.

·
소원을 말해봐
5,413 Posts
83 points is another step to winning a title, we should definetally aim for 90 next season. i can really picture next season being 90 points plus to win the title, its getting tougher and tougher..

its been a great season, unfortunately we didnt win any silverware. finishing 3rd on 83 points just goes to show how tough the EPL is in the world.

·
Registered
42,849 Posts
Going down a goal then spending the rest of the match kicking the ball about the park with not enough width, not enough incisiveness, not enough speed, not enough purpose... so much has changed.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
83 points is still championship form even if you did come third. Considering last seasons results and your budget limitations 83 points and a CL semi is nothing but a success.
I completely agree with this.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
just that horrible March and April f*cked us, disgusting decisions and losing a bit of form.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Overall it was an encouraging season despite the blips later on.

It should give them confidence if they look at the whole picture and a few tweaks here and there should see them in the shakeup next season again.

The players should realise how close they came to winning the title this season and take it as a positive rather than a negative and push on next season.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Finishing four points behind United and two behind Chelsea just shows that the gap isnt as far as people make it out to be. I still think that the team threw the Championship away and don't feel as though they are inferior to United or Chelsea. The one thing that annoys me is that all they had to do was win two of the games against Birmingham, Wigan, Boro or Villa. If they just won two, we would all be laughing right now.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
We've made great progress, especially concidering our past two seasons. There's some bitter taste becouse we did let go a great chance, but overall, it's been a successfull season.

·
Registered
891 Posts
at the start of the season I thought we would come third and so it proved to be. But what I didn't see coming was to be challenging for the title in the closing months I thought we would be some way off Chelsea and Man U but to only finish 4 points behind was much better then I expected and a big improvement on the previous two seasons.

Hopefully in the summer we bring in new players who will help us build on all the good work that has gone on this season.

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
That four draws. How cruel football can get. We had won three of them and even defeats against Manure and Chelsea would've not disposed us from top position :depress:

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Finishing four points behind United and two behind Chelsea just shows that the gap isnt as far as people make it out to be. I still think that the team threw the Championship away and don't feel as though they are inferior to United or Chelsea. The one thing that annoys me is that all they had to do was win two of the games against Birmingham, Wigan, Boro or Villa. If they just won two, we would all be laughing right now.
I agree. You have people talking as if we need to rebuild our whole team and spend big in order to compete with the other top four teams. The proof is in the pudding. We finished four off the top and could have won it, all the while spending less than half the amount of money the Champions and runners up did. I'm still of the opinion that if Wenger signs two or three quality replacements for DM, RW/LW and CB we'll be right back in it next season.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
finishing 3rd on 83 points just goes to show how tough the EPL is in the world.
Wrong. 83 points for the third just goes to show there is a TREMENDOUS gap between the top four and three of four middle teams and the rest of the league.
There are some low table teams which are pure crap.

·
Registered
42,849 Posts
The dreaded what ifs. Over time they're not so present still you can't banish them completely as they gnaw away at your mind for years to come.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts