Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's raw with Empoli has fueled my fear that this year the Scudetto will not belong to us. I mean, Juve's defending today was an insult to football (or soccer, whatever you call it). How can a team studded with stars, including the World's best goalkeeper, let in 3 goals from what I would say one of Serie A's weakest teams? The worst thing it wasn't only today; it's been all season!!!!

My point is: OUR DEFENDING IS HORRIBLE, AND IT IS POISONING OUR CHANCES FOR SUCCESS.

Today's match was crucial because Roma lost points and we needed to keep up with Milan's pace... but what happened? We let 3 goals in and scrambled a golden chance to keep the pressure up. I believe that one more mistake this season in Serie A will rule out our Scudetto chances, especially if Roma and Milan keep their pace on.

Juventus has built its tradition on solidity, hardiness and utter attitude. Frankly, this season we have resembled a bread crumbling to pieces. Lippi has said over and over again that Juve has conceded more goals because it has adopted a more offensive strategy. But I ask myself: what's the use of scoring lots of goals if you also let in more?

I must thank Montero, Iuliano, Ferrara and Pessotto for their loyalty to Juve throughout this decade... But I'm sure that if Lippi keeps them in his starting 11, our season will go from bad to worse. I know this might be an early call, but in all honesty, what's coming up in the horizon doesn't look easy at all.

It's time for Moggi to refresh an aging squad. Legrottaglie has been a failure so far, but that doesn't mean he wont succeed. But clearly, we can't rely on him and Tudor to sustain Juve's defence in the future. At least 2 other young defenders must be signed in.

GOD, please help us...

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Have to agree.

The defence this season has been very unlike Juventus. Last year you conceded 29 goals. So far this season you've conceded 21. :eek: Whilst Milan and Roma have conceded only 8. We all know that in Italy, a great defence is a key to the Scudetto so there are worrying signs. But then again, despite conceding 21 goals, you are only 3 points behind the lead so you are still capable of winning and grinding out results.

I'd still be worried if I were you though.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I am sorry guys, sorry for when I said that Legrottaglie and Juve defence sucked, it was my mista....HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA:D

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Got that right.

I dont think Lippi was wrong in saying we let in more goals because we are focusing more on offense. Look at the sqaud depth in terms of defensive vs. offensive players. Offensive players is our strength so we should promote their success. Oc course the problem is that defending is easier to pull off than scoring and this is why you see results like vs. Empoli and other big clubs fail to win in a similar manner (eg. Chelsea and Madrid.)

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Come on man, cant take a joke?
Juve thought that even this year their D was fine, when in reality its not. Its not about focusing only one one thing, Montero does not try to score. I think all Juve needs to do is wait until the end of the Champ and buy someone for next year, buying someone now is stupid.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Maybe because you're not a good joker?

I don't get how we ended up having these terrible defence problems. It was particularly the same defense with only legro in addition. If age is the problem, how come they did so well last season? It's just one year. Did they turn aged just over night?:groan:
And IMHO, legro was doing fine up until the Inter game. He wasn’t that special, did several mistakes, but overall, his performance was definitely not a disaster.
What was the problem really? How can they ALL suddenly lose their quality in the same time? I just don’t get it.
Last night, even Thuram cannot cope with Di Natale & Brocchi--they were both outstanding btw, but it’s still a humiliation.
Some other teams might never worry about their defense frailties but Juventus obviously should, because defense was always been our main strength. Of course our scoring rate per games these days are great, but we accustomed to have those ‘cleansheet-games’, so the result’s pretty shocking.

I somewhat miss our typical 1-0 2-0 scoreline.

·
Registered
975 Posts
SEND THEM TO JAIL!!! ALL OF THEM!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :fero: :fero: :fero: :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat: :ass: :ass: :ass: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I dont really understand what is the problem with them maybe they r getting old or ..............????????:confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jail?? Hmmm... I see some of us are approaching worrying levels of desperation.... As for Lippi talking about Juve's defensive approach, I just believe it to be another excuse...
Come on, you can't hide the fact that Juve's rearguard is too old.:sob:

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
The funny thing is that even Lazio's more ageing defence is better at the moment.;) Ok, it isn't that funny but still very much unexpected. Legro wasn't bad until the Inter game then something happened - probably due to a loss of confidence or too much pressure upon him. Er... when is Tudor going to be back?

Falcão83, you described yourself very well.:tongue:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Falcao83: You are a fool. Whether in jest or in honest.

Legrottaglie is not 'the' problem. Fact is that after Ferrara he has been our best best central defender which admittedly isn't much this year, but he has only played 10 games (out of 18) because of injuries which, apart from having gone a step up to a new club means something. He showed his class against Roma and at Milan, but when the team has fallen apart- Legro hasn't been able to lift it by himself either. He is not in that class.

He was atrocious against Lazio and really bad against Inter, but the entire team was. Until the Inter game he had been by far our best defender, and in the ratins he was top5 in serieA before his last 3 games. As such- he is clearly no Nesta, Samuel, Maldini, Stam or your Chivu, but the fact that Roma got the better defender does not mean Legrottaglie is bad. It just means Roma got the better player, paying twice the fee we did.

I'd prefer that we had gotten an even better defender, but before blaming Legro for all our troubles I'll be blaming seasoned Juve vets like Montero and Iuliano AND the dire state of our midfield cohesion in defending the defense, and of course the number of balls misplaced in the build ups from guys like Appiah and Camo especially.

There is no justification for having allowed 21 goals in 18 matches, but it must be said that we have had Thuram out for more than month. Legro even longer. Ferrara, Montero and Pessotto started the season injured, Tudor is pretty much injured on a game to game basis, we just lost Birindelli for 2 months and Ferrara for a couple of weeks in the least. This affects players form, and none of the other top sides have seen as many defensive changes from game to game.

Roma at the beginning were nearly immaculate in defence, but with Chivu out for a few ties- they've been conceeding as well. Not in the numbers we have, but one sees the importance of having gotten consistency in the defence as a unit. It's propably not a coincidence that Milan lost their game against Udinese exactly when Nesta was out as well.

While defence is obviously a cause for serious concern, it remains that we can hardly defend any worse, and at the same time we're still close to the leading duo. At some point Milan and Roma will experience injuries and suspensions too, and at some point opponents will be finishing as clinically as for instance Inter and Empoli have done against us. Had Brescia's forwards been as sharp as Empoli's Rocchi last week- Brescia would have propably won that game. That is not saying Milan's defence isn't better than ours though.

Fact remains that believing Legrottaglie to be the factor that made us an ordinary defensive side is ignorant to the n'th degree. It's a team problem where individuals come to 'stand out' negatively because we're not as wellorganised as we have been in past years.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Di Natale would have made ANY defence look foolish on Sunday. Pure class.

If you guys don't get someone in January, then Thuram should move to the center for you guys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts