Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Trap may go for a 4-4-2. It makes sense in a way because I heard that Ecuador is really powerful on the wings especially their right wing. What a better defense then to have Maldini protect that wing as a full time left full back.

It will be:

_______________BUFFON______________

PANUCCI___CANNA_____NESTA___MALDINI

ZAMBRO___TOMASSI___DI BIAGGIO___DONI

___________________TOTTI____________
_______________VIERI________________

When we attack, Doni may move more into the centre to be the trequartista behind Totti and Vieri. Apparantly we had really good ball possession against England when we tried this formation.

The other thing is that Ecuador is very fast. Therefore, ball possession is even more important. Therefore expect Totti to play pretty deep to make almost a 4-4-1-1.

If we need a goal, Doni pushes up we play 4-3-1-2 or we could revert to 3-4-1-2 if you get Panucci to play as a left wing back during the game.

My only worry is if Doni is in good shape or not. He will be important for us in this game.

I can see why Trap picked England for the freindlies. (He also chose Czech Rep to mimic Croatia due to the physical nature of those teams).

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
This is one of the important games for Italy, becoz
1) First game of italy in WC. Italy has a tradition of starting slow in the 1st round. Players perform below standard.:rolleyes:
2) Ecuador is an unknown opponent who reportedly play very fast football, which the Italian NT doesn't like to play against.
3) it is not clear which formation trap is going to use. I would have personally liked a 3-4-1-2 or maybe 4-3-1-2 with Vieri and Montella as the forwards. According to reports trap is probanly going to play 4-4-2 or rather 4-4-1-1 with a lone striker Vieri. Goal scoring chances seem deem. it gives an impression Trap is worried about losing this game and would be relying on counter-attacks.

Hope we win this match but the most probable result according to me is a draw. can't say it will be a goalless draw or not.

Ciao

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
That lineup seems ok but I think Coco plays better as a left winger than Doni. I see Doni's best position as the one that Totti plays.
I probably still prefer the 3-4-1-2 with these players

Code:
                                  Buffon

Cannavaro        Nesta         Maldini

Zambrotta     Di Biagio     Zanetti        Coco

Totti

Montella                Vieri
Tommasi hasn't been so great lately and Di Biagio is playing quite well again so I probably prefer to see him playing for now in the central midfield.
I don't know anything about Equador so I don't have anything to say about them just that I hope the our guys will not take them lightly.

Forza Italia per ora e sempre!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
milano77 said:

Hope we win this match but the most probable result according to me is a draw. can't say it will be a goalless draw or not.

Ciao
On second thoughts We are The Italian NT. We can't be scared by any newcomers. :eek: We are going to kick their asses. a win for italy in the opener.:)

ciao

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
i'M GLAD SOMEONE STARTED THIS TOPIC. I think we have to start uniting and loving our Azzuri at this point. I really don't care who starts, what formation we play. I just want to see the Azzuri go out and win a World Cup match! I wait for this every four years. Now that it is here, I am going to fully realize it, fully enjoy it and try to take it all in. After all, we all have four more years of knowledge and experiences under belt, so the tournament will be different. It is everytime!
I, too, worry about the match because of our tendency to start slow and play bad against quick teams. But Mexico is as quick, if not quicker than Ecuador, so we have to be prepared. Ecuador has a great coach Hernan Dario Gomez, who is not afraid to take chances. Ecuador qualified for the first time ever, keep in mind. They have a pretty good playmaker named Alex Aguinaga and a striker you may know from past Serie A - Ivan Kaviedes. They play four in the back, with two stars - De la Cruz and Hurtado.
We can't let them dictate pace and tempo, but it seems Trapp is pulling a (2001) Capello and over-tacticizing. He is shaping his team by his opponent, letting them dictate - a no-no in my book. Trapp shows a lack of confidence. But I know another strategy probably on his mind (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt) - tire the Ecuadorians out then strike in the 70th min. w/ Vieri and walk w/ a 1-0 win. ;)
AZZURI LOVER :cool:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I don't like the 4-4-2. It's like trap is scared. A scared coach doesn't win the WC. Italy should take advantage of its strength, and in this tournament it is the attack. It woul be stupid to take 5 strikers for using only one of them.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Well, the first match is always important. Actually, I don't expect something superb from Azzurra. It will be 1-0 or 2-0. It is very important to start with victory, even if it is not the best victory they have ever gained.
Please, Azzurra, don't repeat Chile story again.

FORZA ITALIA!:strong:

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
hehe.., I think we should play our normal 3 at the back. This is what we are known for and I can't see any attack apart from maybe France breaking us down. We have won 3 WC's and Ecuador are newcomers and we shouldn't be scared of them and defend. We should play our normal style of play and let them worry about us!

My Line-up would be:

_____________________Buffon____________
___________Canna___Nesta___Maldini______
__Zambrotta__Di Biagio___Zanetti_____Doni__
____________________Totti_______________
____________Montella________Vieri_________

That is how my team would line-up but I am very concerned of the center of the midfield. Most of the stronger national teams are strong in the center of the midfield. France have Viera and Zidane, Brazil have Emerson, Argentina have Veron. We are more of a ball winning side in the center which is why we need Totti there as the AM. He can pick up the ball and do his stuff. I have no other real concers, I just hope we can stay injury free.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Come on lets support Italy at this stage. What selection is done is done. You cant change that. Lets make the best of what we have. Remember there still are many players in the team who are capable of winning matches. Lets not count those who cant. I still want to see that trophy in Maldinis hands.
The formation, i think 4-4-2 is best, but it shouldnt be 4-4-1-1. There should be a playmaker in the 4 midfiled, and 2 strikers, i.e Vieri, Montella
THis is my ideal team
Buffon
Panucci Cannavaro Nesta Maldini
DiBiagio
Zambrotta Coco
Totti
Vieri Montella/DP

And please no Inzaghi or DelVechhio

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Either Montella or Vieri sounds great to scores, but to pass a long the ball.. Alex should be the one ;)
And with Totti behind them.. it'll superb..

But, I do agree that Italy always play slow in the 1st round.. and if they win, well.. do not expect them scores much.. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would go for 4 men midfield. excluding totti.

with 3 men in midfield, there is no connection and no possesive playing. Trap should stick on this.

either 4 defender or lone striker i don't care.

ZAMPROTTA ----DI BAIGO----ZANETTI---COCO/DP

should be fine. and trap should play training with this formation.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
buffon
cannavaro nesta maldini
zambrotta dibiagio c.zanetti doni
totti
vieri montella

i really want to see coco play but i guess it would be better to start doni instead of him...

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Channel 4 report:

Latest reports from the Orient suggest that Doni could start in the Azzurri opener on the right hand side of midfield. A move which would see Gianluca Zambrotta switch to the left in order to keep a closer eye on Ecuador danger man Ulises De La Cruz.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strange, I thought Doni was more left-sided and Zam is more to the right.... and if to keep 'close eye' on De La Cruz, then why dun play Coco there. But anyway, the changes will be seen half-time, still i think Totti will not play full match.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Italy seems scared from that Dela Cruz guy. I think they'll be freaking if they have to play against Spain or Portugal. Why doesn't Italy start from it's strength?

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it seems pretty clear that Italy will play 4-4-2 with Doni on the right and Zambro on the left and Tommassi and Di Biaggio in the middle with Vieri partnered by Totti.

I think Doni will be more attacking on the right and perhaps venturing in the trequartista role. Totti will play slightly behind Vieri. Panucci may push up on the right wing.

i.e

_______________BUFFON_______________

_________CANNA___NESTA___MALDINI____
PANUCCI_____________________________

_______TOMMASSI___Di BIAGGIO___ZAMBRO
__DONI______________________________
_________________________TOTTI_______
_______________VIERI_________________

De La Cruz is a right back which means that he may leave space behind when he attacks. Therefore, Totti should play slightly towards the left to make up for this hole during a counter-attack.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Catenaccio said:
De La Cruz is a right back which means that he may leave space behind when he attacks. Therefore, Totti should play slightly towards the left to make up for this hole during a counter-attack. [/QUOTE0]

This looks like the typical Del Piero-position.

Trap ain't helping Montella's and DP's confidence if they aren't to play even when Inzaghi is out.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It's even getting better: Doni, Totti and Inzaghi all coming out of injury get more chances to play than Montella and Del Piero.
Pure Kafka
:eek:

Inzaghi set for Ecuador clash? Wednesday 29 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy striker Pippo Inzaghi may recover from injury in time to face Ecuador on Monday.

The Milan man was initially ruled out of the Azzurri opener after he picked up a knee problem in the 2-1 friendly win against Kashima Antlers on Sunday.

However, the former Juventus man has returned to training and is hoping to prove his fitness for the game against the South Americans.

"I’m feeling good and that is the most important thing at the moment," he revealed. "I don’t know whether I can play against Ecuador. I’ll talk to the medical staff and the Coach before deciding."

There were fears that Inzaghi’s tournament could have been over after he underwent surgery on the same knee at Christmas.

"I’m delighted to still be here because at the time of the problem I was so scared that my World Cup had come to an end," he added.

"Maybe my fears were a little over elaborate and a lot of the squad were really worried. But don’t forget that I damaged knee ligaments earlier this season and that was in my mind."

It seems unlikely that Coach Giovanni Trapattoni will field Inzaghi from the start in their opener.

Training sessions in the past few days have suggested that Italy will play a 4-4-2 against Ecuador with Francesco Totti partnering Christian Vieri in attack.

Inzaghi could sit on the bench alongside Alex Del Piero and Vincenzo Montella.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
WE MUST KEEP OUR EYES ON THE PRIZE.
:cool:
Quite simply, that is victory. All this tactical goobly-**** worries me. I'm disturbed by all the talk. We gotta understand this and I hope Trapp does: the best players have to be on the pitch, regardless of formation. If you got a great player, let him play. Find a spot. They do it at Real Madrid and win.
Having said that, I like the lineup. I think it shows a remarkable amount of strength at every position. The quickness issue worries me, but we got 4 great, great defenders and some great GKs. What I don't want to see, however, is weakness on offense - high played balls to Vieri, who finds himself w/ 3 defenders and no blue shirts around in the box. A 4-4-1-1 is basically just that. We need to avoid that. We need to let Doni and Tommasi and Panucci drift upwards, unexpectedly, to help strike. Totti must take free kicks. At least until Delpi comes on.
FORZA ITALIA
:cool:

·
Registered
159 Posts
4-4-2 con Buffon tra i pali, Panucci, Nesta, Cannavaro e Maldini in difesa, Zambrotta, Di Biagio, Tommasi e Doni con Vieri e Totti.

The Azzurri team that will play vs Ecuador is the same that has been seen in training these days as it has been reported by the Italian newspapers with Buffon in the net, Panucci, Nesta, Cannavaro and Maldini in defense, Zambrotta, Di Biagio, Tommasi and Doni with Vieri and Totti.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts