Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly that tie against S. Korea is looking better and better. Korea stunned Italy this morning with a tying goal in the 88th minute and then a golden goal late in overtime to advance to the quarterfinals.

I watched the match. Korea blew a penalty kick in the 5th minute on a poor effort by Ahn. After Italy scored in the 18th minute, Korea had a hard time breaking through Italy's vaunted defense.

It was a very rough match with elbows flying, noses getting smashed, eyebrows gashed and ankles bashed. Lots of fouls and yellow cards.

Things looked bad for Korea until late in the match Korea took advantage of a bad Italian clearance in the box to drive home the tying goal. The stadium went nuts. A minute later a Korean player nearly won it on a beautiful bicycle kick from about 8 yards out but it went straight to Buffo.

You had to favor Korea going into overtime because of their fitness and the huge momentum swing after their goal. The Italians were unlucky when Toto was given his second yellow card for a supposed dive in the box. No question it was a bad call. Italy continued to fight well despite being down a man until Ahn redeemed himself by putting away the golden goal.

Kudos to Korea for a hard fought match and for never giving up.

If Korea and the U.S. both win their quarterfinal matches, they will meet in the semifinals. :eek:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Korea vs Italy

the italians (who are allways one of my favorite teams) played very well but looked tired at the end.
The Koreans surely can run and it is hard to beat a team with home advantage,and in Mexico we understand the pain of losing to a lesser team (Historicaly speaking) than theirs . the referees have been very bad through out the WC and especially to Italy.

now the team I have to go for is Brazil but its going to be difficult.
come on boys bring the Cup back to America:fero: :angel:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Its beyond my imagination why Italy plays that outdated, antiquated "padlock" defensive style, when that is rarely seen in the actual Italian League anymore...

The Older Maldini tried to do the same with Paraguay, and Paraguayans dont play catenaccio either...

The Anti-Soccer Rulers Label of the 2002 WC goes to Italy, without a doubt in my mind.

Maybe for the 2004 Eurocup and or the 2006 WC They'll Have enough "spauldings" to ditch the stupid Catenaccio once and for all !!

;)

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Vieri missed a golden chance to win for Italy towards the end of regulation when he fired the ball over the bar from 2 meters away! :eek:

Even superstars can screw it up at the worst moment! :D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very similar to Donovan's miss near the end of the Mexico match. Of course, Vieri's would have won the match.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
MAn the game was pure bull****

Vieir missed a total sitter
Gatusso missed an easy goal

tommasi scored a perfect goal and he was onside only for it to be ruled offside the 4th offisde goal of the cup for italy, but in reality only the montella goal vs mexico was offside

All in all italia have no one to blame but themselves......i mean trap is a real piece of work

Lav

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Italy needs a foreign coach, why? ... New tactics.

The Italians have played the same system since 1930

The Koreans deserved the win. They earned it by outworking the Italians when it counted.

How is the BIG, SLOW Spanish defence going to deal with the work rate of the S. Koeans ... I don't think the will be able to. Expect to see the Koreans in the semis ... what?

South KOREA, SENEGAL, TURKEY, USA ... Whats Up???
Senegal or Turkey has already guaranteed a spot in the final 4.

It's looking better and better for Brazil to win their 5th or England to win their 2nd ...?

To hell with predicting. I'm just gonna watch and enjoy ... what a World Cup !!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Man, what a game. I've been enamoured by this Korean team. They are relentless. They've got pretty good skill. But the Italians showed the elegance and violence of their skill. It was a bloodbath. No quarter asked or given. I think Totti was going down before he was touched. The Italian reputation of being divers is coming to haunt them in a tourney where dives are punished.

The emotions shown by the players and fans of Korea have to impress us. Their chanting was relentless too. Made the Brasilians look like a bunch of hand sitters.

I think the Italians came into the tourney like a fine Bugatti Royale. Good speed, superb handling, merciless power. But they ran into a pack of crotch rockets. Let's hope they show up at Euro 2004 with their Ducatis.

Way kewl game. I'm going to watch it again.

Later.:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Didn't the winning goal look a lot like the goal Ahn got against the US? Is Coco as bad as Agoos, or is Agoos as bad/good as Coco?:eek:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Oldsocfan said:
It looks like Mexico is not the only one who showed little class, as Italy is certainly a much worse sore-loser! :eek:

In Italy, football is much more than sport OSF;) NT is the pride of the nation. Each & every game was analysed by the PPL close to football inside out. I watched some of these TV shows, and simply the conclusion is that although Italy played un-attractive football, they managed to out-score their opponents, only to have their effort annuled by the referees. If it happens once, it's the referee....If it happens 4 (or 5 times according to some), it becomes a fertile ground for all kind of theories, even the most incredible ones.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
From Dailysoccer.com:

Perugia coach Serse Cosmi on Thursday added another twist to the Ahn Jung-hwan affair by admitting he would like the axed South Korean World Cup hero to stay at the Italian club.
Ahn was kicked out by the Serie A side after scoring the goal which dumped Italy out of the World Cup, with president Luciano Gaucci claiming the striker had 'ruined Italian football.'
However, Cosmi, still holds out hope that Gaucci will perform a U-turn on his decision and allow the emerging star to stay on.
"I consider him a player with enormous potential," revealed Cosmi. "I wouldn't have any objection at all if the club decided to extend his contract for next season."
Cosmi's revelation comes after Ahn has vowed to prove Gaucci wrong by earning a big-money move to a better club.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts