Xtratime Community banner

Italy v Murica tonight (in 30 minutes) in Belgium

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  camelface 
#1 ·
#11 ·
I know the results aren't anything to write home about, but the team is better than they were last year at this time. It's younger and more skilled. It hasn't allowed any goals in three games, and they rarely concede chances. It retains possession and it creates chances. The big issue is that it needs to start converting those into goals. Someone has to emerge in that role at some point. If that can happen, this team can do some damage, especially as the young players grow into their roles.

#13 ·
More skilled? Jorginho is not unskilled, De Rossi is old but surely not unskilled. Honestly, I want to see yesterday's midfield against France or another team whose midfield is very aggressive and see whether they have fun the way they had yesterday. I don't think the midfielders were the problem one year ago, but obviously it's good to have young ones. The problem is the that three man in attack should be an improvement to what we have now. Perhaps Kean can be an improvement, but we need another two players. Maybe Chiesa, but he has to increase his goal per game rate badly. Right now he is mostly good for gaining penalties and if he goes on diving the way he has done lately soon no referee will concede a penalty either. :D

#18 ·
Maybe the likes of Chiesa, Berna (who is injured) and Kean arent the best players ever but there arent much alternatives tbh for Italy. Presuming Insigne is a starter under Mancini. Who is Mancini supposed to call? Luca Toni? Is that how Italy is supposed to rebuild?

#20 ·
A spectacle in mediocrity. Clearly, something is wrong when you dominate possession but can't score. Lasagna is not the answer. Neither is Immobile. The opponent was so weak that it is hard to draw many conclusions, but Politano looked a level above the rest. Verratti probably accounted for half of our 73 percent possession. Sensi kind of surprised me. Keane injected some excitement into the team. Mancini needs to clear up the scoring issues, reconfigure some things, maybe even recall Balo :facepalm:

#21 ·
I'm not feeling as down on this team as others. The team is very young and Mancini is building good possession game. If all is missing is goals, then that is fine. Remember we are conceding less as well.

Balotelli is an interesting option, he would definitely be the desired no9 if he decided to be less of a moron. Otherwise going with the false 9 I think is the best option, with politano, insigne and chiesa or switching any of these with bernardeschi. For now Insigne looks the more likely to be the false 9.

I wonder if Mancini would try a 4-4-2 too though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.