Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were Lippi which 22 players would you pick for WC 2006? Now, let's be realistic and pick players that you think could appear in the chosen squad.

Here's Mine: I will add the reserves too, that possibly could be included.

Keepers: Buffon, De Sanctis, Pelizzoli? Roma?

Central Defender: Cannavaro, Nesta, Materazzi, Ferrari, Barzagli.

Wing Backs: Zambrotta, Chiellini, Grosso, Parisi, Cassetti (Could play in midfield too) Bonera,

Central Midfielders( Defensive, Offensive and Registra): Gattuso, Blasi, De Rossi, Perrotta, Barone, Pirlo, Maresca, Totti (OM or Forward).

Wingers: Camoranesi, Marchionni, Cassetti (Wing back also) Di Natale( He's better as a winger) Esposito.

Forwards: Montella, Gilardino, Cassano, Inzaghi?, Vieri?, Toni, Del Piero? Di Vaio, Caracciolo? Totti( OM or Forward).

Allright, these are all the players with a possible call up I think, Now I'll try to pick a 22 team squad of them.

Keepers: 3 keepers will get picked. Buffon and De Sanctis should be the first 2, Pelizzoli has been crap this season, I wouldn't mind trying someone else like Flavio Roma, or Sicignano from Lecce. I think he's a great keeper, But Hopefully Pelizzoli will gain his form back again.

Defenders: As for CD, Let's pick 4. Cannavaro, Nesta will certainly appear, Materazzi might be backup, but I prefer the duo Ferrari and Barzagli instead. Wing backs, we really have loads of them, Zambrotta is the best in the world, therefore he'll be chosen. The others will be Grosso, Cassetti and Cheillini. I will let Bonera and Parisi be outside. Cassetti can also play in midfield. No Panucci for christ sake.

Midfielders: Gattuso and Blasi and De Rossi takes the places for DM. Then let's use Pirlo, Camoranesi and Esposito and. Pirlo as Registra/OM and backup for Totti and then the other 2 as wingers. Keep in mind that Cassetti also will be used as winger if needed.

Forwards: Totti (Will play as OM) Gilardino, Cassano, Montella, Toni. Some tough choises, but since DP, Inzaghi and Vieri seems to have passed their prime they will be left outside, I also think Toni, despite being older then Caracciolo is a better player right now.

This is my XI:

Buffon

Cassetti, Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta

Gattuso, De Rossi, Camoranesi

Totti

Gilardino, Cassano

* Obviously this line up won't have much of the need for wingers, but our wingbacks will act like that instead, I think we would do best when playing Totti in a role behind the forwards. And therefore we need to quite defensive minded midfielders, (Gattuso, De Rossi).

Comments? ;)

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are both good players, but not better then anyone else I picked.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
buffon de sanctis

nesta cannavaro ferrari barzagli zambrotta bovo bonera chiellini

gattuso pirlo maresca de rossi blasi camoranesi marchionni

gilardino cassano totti miccoli montella

my line up

buffon
zambrotta nesta cannavaro chiellini
gattuso pirlo maresca
totti
gilardino cassano

by 2006, i think my team will probably change dramatically.

·
Registered
46,395 Posts
I think the starting lineup will be similar while the reserves will be quite completely different. Much will depend on the shape of the players just before the world cup.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Much will depend on the shape of the players just before the world cup.
I'd agree.. I wouldn't dare to choose anyone now. If I were Lippi I would similarly go for form and only pick my squad right at the death. Who knows - Totti might suffer from a terrible loss of form next year, or Cossato might be scoring so regularly he might merit a legitimate call-up. :shades: :happy:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I've always stuck up for Ferrari however I don't think he has the mental toughness to stand the pressure and deliver the goods in an International game. I like him but at most I would have him as a reserve behind Barzagli, but at best I would leave him in Italy along with Materazzi.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only 2 keeper's in your team Cug?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Buffon

Bonera - Nesta - Cannavaro - Zambrotta

Camoranesi - Pirlo - Gattuso

Totti - Cassano

Gilardino

That squad looks very strong to me. If De Rossi can improve greatly by 2006 then slide Gattuso over in Camoranesi's spot and play De Rossi in LM.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
GK:
Buffon
Pelizzoli
De Sanctis

DEF:
Nesta
Cannavaro
Zambrotta
Panucci
Chiellini
Bonera
Barzagli

MID:
Gattuso
De Rossi
Maresca
Camoranesi
Pirlo
Ambrosini
Cassetti

ATT:
Totti
Cassano
Montella
Gilardino
Miccoli

-----------------------------Buffon----------------------------

Bonera-----------Cannavaro----------Nesta----------Zambrotta

------Gattuso--------------Maresca---------De Rossi-----------

-----------------------------Totti------------------------------

------------------Montella-----------Cassano-------------------

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Arianna said:
Di Michele deserve one place too, and even Iaquinta
Talented players hope they carry on their form till next year, also Miccoli, Maresca, Di vaio, etc. Deserve consideration.

Also Nick I think you can swap Camo on the right instead on the left. Good squad though.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
nasty nick said:
Only 2 keeper's in your team Cug?

unless its a rule that you must have 3 then yes, i would only have two. how often do we see all 3 keepers used in a major tournament?

if 3 must be brought to the tournament, then drop bovo.

as for ferrari, i think he may be needed as italy lacks that type of defender for back up. but then again, if he isnt good enough, its pointless.

its amazing how italy suddenly lacks defenders but gains midfielders and playmakers when before it was the opposite. :rollani:

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
Nah I don't see it that way, Italy still have the best defenders. Anyway it is still early to decide for summer 2006, when we've just entered 2005. For all we know Pazzini might explode and Miccoli indeed deserves a consideration if he keeps up like this.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
central defeders is a worry. sure nesta still has many years ahead of him but cannavaro isnt a spring chicken anymore. still lack a right back. left back is fine with zambrotta and chiellini.

look through past teams and there has always been an abundance of defenders. 90, 94, 98 all had many.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Gone are the days when other sides sh1t their pants upon reading out the names of the italian defence.

Besides Cannavaro and Nesta, we don't have much. I mean players like Barzagli and Bovo etc. are ok, but they are not going to be anything near what Canna and Nesta are.

The lack of right back is also a problem. I might get blasted for this, but I think Panucci is still the best option here. He may be on the wrong side of 30, but I just don't see how players like Bonera and Zaccardo are going to be good enough.

Panucci is having a solid season and he had a decent EURO tournament as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Panucci played one good game in the euro, i'll give him that. but he isnt any better than the younger options.

I think right back depends on the formation. IF Lippi sticks with a normal solid 4-4-2, then he may get away with a player like bonera at right back. but if he needs a right back to attack, then he is in the shitter becuase we dont have one.

maybe if chiellini went to left back and zambrotta to right back, the team may get away with it.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Panucci is not a liability.

He's not great, but he's the best option IMO. Has big match experience on his side, which is something the likes of Zaccardo and Bonera do not have.

IMO Bonera and Zaccardo are nothing special at all and I'd feel much safer with Panucci there.

And the Chiellini/Zambro swap is probably the next best option...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts