Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rumors are that Inter could do what Juve did two years ago with CR7 (now 35) and bring Messi (33) to serie A.
Pedro (33) is joining Roma, while David Silva (34) could follow him to and play for the other Roman club.
Other international stars of serie A are currently Ibrahimovic (38), Palacio (38), Ribery (37), Pandev (37), Ashley Young (35), Dzeko (34), Kolarov (34), Schone (34), etc.etc. without forgetting the local aces such as Quagliarella (37) or Buffon (42), probably the oldest serie A goalie since Ballotta.
In the past a player who wanted to retire went to play to Japan or the USA or some Arab country just before retirement in order to pick the very last money. Lately it often happens that a player returns to Italy after what looked like the final step! :D
What could be good for the English Premier League in 2015 or even 2010, is good for serie A in 2020. :unsure:

·
Administrator
52,912 Posts
Messi at 33 is a must get anyways, is still in prime performances mode, and he has one of those all around nr 10 games that will age gracefully with age.

But you have a point about the rest. Especially Ashley Young, I have no idea what they are thinking. Ribery besides being injured, atleast showed he belonged whenever he played, which is not often. Ibra is bit short sighted signing (he is turning 39 in 2 months lol), but atleast he is starting to score now after really slow start. The rest were in house domestic players just hanging on. Palacio and Pandev need to retire already, not doing anything. Buffon is basically there for leadership, since he is fine with a backup role that doesnt play outside coppa.

But Ronaldo and Mess, absolute freaks no one says no to, will be scoring tons of goals well into their late 30s lol.

·
Registered
23,659 Posts
Messi at 33 is a must get anyways, is still in prime performances mode, and he has one of those all around nr 10 games that will age gracefully with age.

But you have a point about the rest. Especially Ashley Young, I have no idea what they are thinking. Ribery besides being injured, atleast showed he belonged whenever he played, which is not often. Ibra is bit short sighted signing (he is turning 39 in 2 months lol), but atleast he is starting to score now after really slow start. The rest were in house domestic players just hanging on. Palacio and Pandev need to retire already, not doing anything. Buffon is basically there for leadership, since he is fine with a backup role that doesnt play outside coppa.

But Ronaldo and Mess, absolute freaks no one says no to, will be scoring tons of goals well into their late 30s lol.
Well, when the other option is Biraghi...

I keep hearing rumours of Asamoah still being alive and ready for a comeback (even listed on the bench sometimes), but I'm pretty sure that he's dead.

Ideally we'd sign a left wing back that's actually good, but as it stands Young is the least bad option.

·
Registered
32,287 Posts
He started out very early.

Maybe he hasn't taken such good care of himself, I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
17,130 Posts
Few hours after Milan refused to take a risk with Rangnick someone started rumours that Bonaventura (30 soon 31) will stay at Milan. In Bonaventura's case it probably won't happen either but yes very Italian thing.
Bonaventura is at least very versatile. No harm in keeping him.

I would say Ibra is there for specific tactical option and especialy leadership. Can't argue with Milan's post-covid record.

·
Registered
17,130 Posts
Well, when the other option is Biraghi...

I keep hearing rumours of Asamoah still being alive and ready for a comeback (even listed on the bench sometimes), but I'm pretty sure that he's dead.

Ideally we'd sign a left wing back that's actually good, but as it stands Young is the least bad option.
I meant to ask one of you Intertisti for a while why Asamoah was not being selected. He is only 31, seems strange.

·
Registered
17,130 Posts
Rumors are that Inter could do what Juve did two years ago with CR7 (now 35) and bring Messi (33) to serie A.
Pedro (33) is joining Roma, while David Silva (34) could follow him to and play for the other Roman club.
Other international stars of serie A are currently Ibrahimovic (38), Palacio (38), Ribery (37), Pandev (37), Ashley Young (35), Dzeko (34), Kolarov (34), Schone (34), etc.etc. without forgetting the local aces such as Quagliarella (37) or Buffon (42), probably the oldest serie A goalie since Ballotta.
In the past a player who wanted to retire went to play to Japan or the USA or some Arab country just before retirement in order to pick the very last money. Lately it often happens that a player returns to Italy after what looked like the final step! :D
What could be good for the English Premier League in 2015 or even 2010, is good for serie A in 2020. :unsure:
I had a wtf moment when I saw Massimo Maccarone was back in Serie A few years ago. How can such an old unimportant player play so long at a supposedly top level? Last time I had heard of him as when Trapattoni called him up to senior team from Serie B.

But then again, I am always surprised to see players like Matri and Pazzini still floating around.

I personally don't mind it that there are relics of the past in the league. Makes me feel like I am aging slower than I am. But it is unfortunate when these are actual starters for teams that have no hope of getting better players.

·
Registered
23,659 Posts
I meant to ask one of you Intertisti for a while why Asamoah was not being selected. He is only 31, seems strange.
I'm not sure exactly what's going on with Asamoah. But going by the picture below I am guessing that he still has knee issues.

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
Kudos to the Italians for getting the most out of older players. That’s one of the things people respect about Italian football at least here in Denmark.

·
Registered
14,116 Posts
Bottom line is that these Clubs must make a profit if they are to stay viable. They are businesses and their players, including Messi, are assets or liabilities of that business. It's their duty to get the most out of their assets prior to them becoming liabilities.....which all players become sooner or later. Right now, Messi's value is high and his timeframe for becoming a liability (on the field) is fairly short at 33. It would make reasonable sense for Barca to sell him now when they can get a premium as his value will fall fairly fast probably within 2-3 years.

·
Registered
46,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
He can become the Heir of Icardi at Inter ... who wouldn't want this honor?
Nah

No one will talk about Icardi after he retires. Actually, he has already been forgotten. No one cares for Wanda and him in Italy any more, which is pretty much what happens to people who are more famous for the gossip than for the facts: once they are out of the radar no one gives a ****.

Messi at Inter would be the Heir of Ronaldo (il Fenomeno) and the challenger of the other Ronaldo.

·
Registered
46,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to underline the fact that nowadays the serie A defenders are so poor that the forwards who are close to their 40s can score more goals than they used to score when they were in their prime. If Messi joined Inter he would likely score 35-40 goals.

·
Registered
17,130 Posts
I forgot to underline the fact that nowadays the serie A defenders are so poor that the forwards who are close to their 40s can score more goals than they used to score when they were in their prime. If Messi joined Inter he would likely score 35-40 goals.
That and the rate of penalties are the most odd things that have happened to Serie A to make goal tallies so high. Why does Italy not procude defenders anymore? Or is it that modern football which doesn't use much defensive midfielders anymore is exposing the defenders more?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts