Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this and it seems that the Italian national team will only go as far as the Roma players take them.If any three of these players catch on fire we may have a shot at this thing.Cause lets face it,it ain't going to be Pippo,again unless somebody sets him up..Therefore enter Totti.As i've been following this thing,Totti is inform,but most importantly mentally,he's showing so much determination to succeed than i've ever seen him.
If Zoff can somehow resolve his tactic situation and find a comfort zone for Totti,i really think he can be a pivotal man for Italy,am i'm not only saying this cause i'm a Romanista :) !!
I think Zoff is putting way too much pressure on Fiore,lets face it he was practically a nobody with Parma,thats why they sold him,and all of a sudden is having a breakthrough year in Udine,and is the anchor of the national team without ever being CAPPED!!!!Whats that all about???
Totti,as he's said earlier this week welcomes responsibity,and despite all the critism he's gotten this year from the press in Rome,he's very comfortably and its made him grow as a player.
I hope that the game turns out on Sunday that Inzaghi gets subbed out and Italy turn,the game around.I mean in all the games that Inzaghi's played what has he given us??Sure a couple of goals ,but thay was with in inform Vieri.
Now he thinks this is his Euro,and he can carry the team,he sure as hell didn't carry Juve!!
I think the ultimate lineup upfront would be this:
------------DelPiero------Montella-----
---------------Totti-----
----Fiore---------Albertini---
Fiore has said that he can play as an all out natural central midfielder with Totti coexisting.Totti in his comfort zone,and Delpiero as a seconda punta,just like Juve.
but Zoff in practices when using this uses Totti as a seconda punta and DelPiero as a trequartista!!Was he watching the league matches at all this year???
Mind boggling....
I believe that if Zoff ccan use the Roma players effectively,Italy might just have a chance!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Grande Totti!!!!!!!!!!

What a beautiful goal he scored,
he really was one of the men of the match and i couldn't be happier,i went nuts when he scored!!
He really worked hard today,and proved his spot.
We also got to see Delvecchio today as well,
who sheilded the ball nicely and stayed onside which Inzaghi couldn't do.However,i expected to see Montella instead....We might just get a new lineup change next game seeing that we captured top spot.
FORZA ROMA!!!
FORZA IL BIMBO D'ORO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Il Lupo : remember that Juventus has 7 players in the national team ... so u must change ur title to : italy goes as far as Juv take them ...
Del Piero did in 20 minutes what totti couldn't do in 70 minutes!!!
so Totti OUT --- Del Piero IN

Forza juv

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
but without abbiati backing toldo and antonioli (what a bad joke of zoff making this guy to #2, sorry roma fans but...) and maldini leading as the captain in defence and albertini organizing the midfield, with ambro coming from the bench....wait, stop

let forget club football during this ec, it is italy and I will even cheer for them if there were 8 inter players in starting line up. There are 22 Italians there in the low countries and we should support them, not bothering about the clubs they play for when EC is over

FORZA ITALIA

Nevertheless, I like Totti too, but del Piero also played very good, it will be difficult to do the right choose concerning this two great players. I would also try Montella instead of Inzaghi because Pippo has wasted a lot of good chances
I would name the team that played against Belgium, with Montella instead of Inzaghi and maybe del Piero instead of Totti. but just maybe...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know what i totally agree with you that these are 22 italians,and i've never really cared about who gets picked.Cause if Nesta scores i'll still go nuts just like when Totti scored.
I really just put this thread up to maybe spice this forum up,cause it looked like we were really not getting much excitement out of this forum ever since the Euro started,and also a way so we can talk about Roma's players in the tournament.
I've actually said this in the National team forum,
i would think the best thing for the national team would be DelPiero and Montella cause i think that Totti is slightly out of his element where he seems a little out of position and has to chase and defend much more.
But i think he's doing an amazing job thus far.
As for tommorrows game it seems that DP and Montella will be upfront,we'll see what this couple is made of,and i tink they'll do quite well.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Yes, lets see if this couple needs less chances to score. I think especially for these both strikers it will be a very important match because they want to kick Totti respectively Inzaghi out of the starting lineup. Will be interesting to see how they work together.

FORZA ITALIA

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Totti and Del Piero by right should start up front togetherand it probably would beat a team like Romania.

But after that to face France or Holland with all 3 no. 10's on the field could be very very dangerous because if the game is at stale mat or Italy are trailing we wouldn't be able to put any skillful player on the field who is able to change the match.

Anyway......Totti and Del Piero unlike most no. 10 strikers can both score with their head so mabye it could be tried.

But Romania is not a push over like England

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
First and most of all WHAT the hell is Albertini doing in the starting line up? he is completely useless...Fiore should join Conte on central midfield with Totti behind the forwards...as for Roma players carrying the squad this is SOOOOOOO crap! the DEFENCE is carrying Italy and nothing more...

Besides,we all know that Italy will beat Romania,the ref took good care of them Vs England...he gave a yellow card to 4 starting 11 Romanians.Thats what I call "opening the way to Italy"

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Totti should be the playmaker no doubt.

Amd the only reason the Ref gav yellow cards to the Romanians was so he could open the way for ENGLAND, and not Italy, A romanian guy in UEFA protested after the match as it looked like Uefa wanted England in the Quarters.

And Amoroso, stop picking on Albertini, he has not been himself lately ( 3-4 years ), BUT in form we all know that he is one of the best midfielders in Europe, what Demetrio did in the begining of the 90's was just great.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Let me see...the beggining of the 90s is 8 lets even say 7 years away...so what if he has been on form the last 4 years...

ARE YOU ON CRACK?!?!?!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why change tactics..??

Personally i think a change in tactics at this point could be dangerous,like putting Fiore in the middle,slipping Totti in behind the front too.
This would unbalance the team in the defence,
The only way this would work is if you insert a
-----------Delvecchio--------
-------DelPiero--------
----------------------Totti--------
Lineup,where Delvecchio picks up in the middle just like they do in Roma.Cause if you don't have Delvecchio,who will accomodate in the defensive position?
Inzaghi,no.DelPiero,i don't think so,his work rate is disgusting.And frankly,Totti can't defend well.
So,i really don't think that Zoff will make any changes in his lineup.I think Albertini was threatened by Di Biagio,but he seems to have picked up a thigh injury.
With all this Totti or DelPiero talk,what about an Inzaghi or Montella change?It seems that Inzaghi is untouchable with Zoff,which is a total joke.
And Amoroso,you're defence can take you only so far,until you reach penalties,and for Italy to lose again on that would be horrible.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Thats exaclty my point Lupo.Italy is relying on DEFENCE and ONLY.Thats why they wont go far...maybe they will get past Romania but no more...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This team is different...................

What is different from this team,
is the loss of Vieri may have been a blessing in disguise.
If we look at past Italian teams there was always a go to man,Rossi-Scillaci-Baggio-Vieri,
In this team we have 6 different goal scorers who are very capable of putting the ball in the net.This for me if i was an opposing team would scare the hell out of me,cause we're dangerous from every position cause 3 came from our forwards and 3 came from the midfield.Never have i seen an italian team so tight and compact as a group of players in such little time.
I think i like our chances right now.
We may very well pull this thing off.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
I guess with the match against Romania Demetrio has shown to all of us why he is picked for national team - and that he belongs there.
in this form he IS one of the best midfielders in the world and for sure the best of Italy.

FORZA DEMETRIO!
FORZA MILAN!
FORZA ITALIA!

D

·
0 Posts
I thought Albertini would never put on a world-class performance again, at least not with the Azurri, I guess I was wrong, but I'm glad to see Albertini at his brilliant best again. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What did you guys think of Delvecchio against Holland??
I thought he played well,holding the ball,showing great strength against Stam who is no push over.
He only lacked that finishing touch.
I think Inzaghi is going to get punished against Desailly and Blanc in the middle,i think with Delvecchio's height and strength would be a better solution.........
But it ain't going to happen.
Look for him possibly coming in the second half.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
this is a very arrogant statement and childish as well.so u think just because of totty,montella,and delvechio then italy can win or just because of del piero,inzaghi,zambrotta,conte,iuliano,etc then Italy can win.then have u forgotten how Toldo saved the team,how Fiore made a beautiful long shot goal,how Cannavaro defend so well,how Nesta:cool: being chosen as the best libero in Euro 2000.how Zoff could still calm and did well even though being always critized.I mean,Italy will win only if the players forget about their club and together hand in hand give their best on the field for the sake of their country.

PS The best striker in Euro 2000 comes from other country,from Italy only Nesta,Cannavaro,and Toldo as the best defender and Goal keeper.and they are neither from roma nor rubentus,so don't fly yourself

1 - 19 of 19 Posts