Xtratime Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Italy will not allow their own fans to travel to away games after violence flared during the draw in Bulgaria on Saturday.

The World Cup Group 8 qualifier in Sofia at the weekend was marred by some visiting fans throwing bottles, with fascist salutes and chants also reported.

Three Italian fans were detained by police after burning a Bulgarian flag.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has now decided they will not take up their allocation of tickets for away fixtures until further notice.

FIGC president Giancarlo Abete has condemned those involved and is determined to bring the fans involved in the ugly scenes in Bulgaria to justice.

"Until we have certainties and we are able to verify certain things, we will not ask for any tickets for Italy's away games," said Abete.

"I feel great bitterness and pain for what has happened.

"Everyone knows the process to isolate these individuals is long but this is a dark episode.

"I believe with all the technological means available we can now identify those individuals.

"I don't believe they are fans but individuals who are prone to delinquent behaviour with the intention of damaging the image of our nation.

"But we have all of their names and we will punish them."

The world champions host Montenegro in Wednesday's World Cup qualifier in Lecce.

Their next away game is in Montenegro on 23rd March 23, and they will visit Dublin for a game against Republic of Ireland in October next year.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
At least they have acted on it and its the rigth decision.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
The Italian authorities seem to have an odd penchant for summary "justice" in football related cases. Can't find the guilty people? Have no fear, just ban all.

·
Administrator
53,561 Posts
Senior team. Hardly anyone will bother to travel for the azzurrini's sake, let alone care enough to wreck havoc.

And yeah, what Ano said. How ridicolous that Abete said earlier that they have the fans who went there in their register, so they can investigate and no one is out of their reach, but then the next day come out and say all italians fans are banned, not just the trouble makers they said they knew who are.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Probably assuming the problems of Italian violence as a whole I think the decision is correct. Maybe there was a pocket of fans who can be caught on this occasion, but then there would be another pocket next time and the time after that and the time after that.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
Maybe there was a pocket of fans who can be caught on this occasion, but then there would be another pocket next time and the time after that and the time after that.
There would be? How do you know that? There hasn't been any trouble with Italian fans in away games since like forever, just because of one incident it automatically means there are going to be new incidents for sure? And of course, catching the "fans" who are actually guilty would go a long way towards making other fans with violent inclination think twice. While banning all fans is merely a sign of helplessness.

·
Administrator
53,561 Posts
Probably assuming the problems of Italian violence as a whole I think the decision is correct. Maybe there was a pocket of fans who can be caught on this occasion, but then there would be another pocket next time and the time after that and the time after that.
That isnt even remotely close to making sense, as Ano pointed out. Tts the NT, its virtually unheard of these kind of sitautions happend with the Azzurri fans in away games. One little incident that is far from the norm conduct, and instead of dealing with the culprits which they even said they can identify since they control the ticket sales, they instead decided to ban ALL azzurri fans indefinitely, makes perfect sense...

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
"I don't believe they are fans but individuals who are prone to delinquent behaviour with the intention of damaging the image of our nation.

"But we have all of their names and we will punish them."
There's a mining district in Silesia, especially between Jastrzebie Zdroj and Rybnik, which maybe needs some workers in order to do the dirty jobs. Right, there are now a few idiots who should be sent there and stay in that place, doing that work for at least 5 years. And in their free time, brought relentlessly to the nearby Auschwitz (couple of hours from Rybnik, even less form Jastrzebie) just to show how brainless they are. Who knows, maybe that could work.
Unfortunately, it is not the first time that those ultras behave in that way, I remember some clashes when Italy played Slovenia, and for now they are no more than 250, according to what newspapers reported. It might be that since laws in Italy have somehow reduced their possibility of express their idiocy fully, they could give vent to that away. Just a hipothesis, of course.
And the worst is that there always going to be someone who thinks they are so brave and follow their trend, unless serious measures are taken to punish the idiots and show that it's not a wise thing to follow their footprints.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I think the problem is that the FIGC are afraid of the Italian teams (club or national) being banned in some way like the English teams were from Europe in the 80's... of course the Italian NT fans away from home are normally pretty good, but the club teams are horrific and if problems continued even with the NT then there could be some serious reprocutions. Anyway there is just 3 away games left in this group. I am unsure of many Italians who would like to visit Ireland (unless they are alcoholics and like potatoes) or Georgia... so they only miss Montenegro :cool:

·
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
2,487 Posts
Yeah, as though in Ireland there are but a few alkies and they don't eat potatoes...okay maybe times have changed, but let me remind you that the Irish have been, through modern history, world famous alcoholics and potato eaters

·
Outstanding Post of the Year 2007
2,487 Posts
No different from saying italians are moderate wine drinkers and prolific pasta eaters...now is that racist?

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
This is utter rubbish. The NT already lacks fans in Italy and now you deny the few fans we got not to travel to games because some cretins ruined it for the majority of peaceful fans? Not to mention that the Bulgarians were no angels and actually started the feud. There were 100 Italians in the stadium and the rest were all Bulgarians. Why the heck would they ever start crap being clearly outnumbered? :rollani:

This decision just hypes the whole idea of Italian fans being racist when it is totally the opposite.

I thought Carraro was an absolute moron but Abete isn't far behind. :thmbdown:

·
Oje vita mia...
3,944 Posts
This is utter rubbish. The NT already lacks fans in Italy and now you deny the few fans we got not to travel to games because some cretins ruined it for the majority of peaceful fans? Not to mention that the Bulgarians were no angels and actually started the feud. There were 100 Italians in the stadium and the rest were all Bulgarians. Why the heck would they ever start crap being clearly outnumbered? :rollani:

This decision just hypes the whole idea of Italian fans being racist when it is totally the opposite.

I thought Carraro was an absolute moron but Abete isn't far behind. :thmbdown:
Uh Uh Uh, you're forgetting someone!

Hiring Donadoni, what a stupid Bilanista thing to do! :rollani:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts