Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Italian national team have dropped out of the top 10 after the latest FIFA World Rankings were released.

The Azzurri are now 11th after slipping down one position in the last month following the 2-2 draw with the Czech Republic.

Brazil, France and Spain still occupy the top three places. England are sixth alongside the Czech Republic and Argentina.

Top 10
1 (1) Brazil 842 points
2 (2) France 826
3 (3) Spain 791
4 (4) Netherlands 747
5 (5) Mexico 740
6 (8) Czech Republic 735
6 (7) England 735
6 (6) Argentina 735
9 (9) Turkey 733
10 (12) Germany 729
11 (10) Italy 726

------------------------------

What a load of crap...:groan:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Rankings dont really matter to me...

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Great list, highly accurate. :cool:

Singapore is ahead of Northern Ireland, who gave the world George Best. :eek:

Also ahead of the Faroe Islands, whom Germany only beat by a measly one goal during the Euro 2004 qualifiers.

Going by that logic we'll beat ze Germans no problem, and I suspect we'll be challenging Brazil for the honours at the next World Cup. ;)

Remember, you heard it here first. :tongue:

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Yeah A&K( btw what's your name?) the ranking doesn't make sense at all. Especially tough for nations like Northern Ireland that only play good nations and don't get many points. I suppose Singapore win more and therefore are ranked higher, i haven't seen Singapore play, are you any good? ;) However i'm sure NI wouldn't make a fool of themselves if they played in the Asian qualification zone.

About Italy, yes it's a joke. But as long as we win our quali games and goes to big tournaments i don't care. Mexico are ranked this high cause they won the North American cup( against the mighty Usa, Canada, Guatemala and Jamaica :howler: ) The Czechs haven't been in a wc for 14 years, Turkey won the bronce playing against non europeans, but when they met a real challenge like Latvia they lost. The Netherlands haven't done scrath lately but still considered better then us, England are not scaring me to death either but also better ranked :notlist: What can i say....The list makes as much sense as making a democracy in Iraq.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
nasty nick said:
Yeah A&K( btw what's your name?) the ranking doesn't make sense at all. Especially tough for nations like Northern Ireland that only play good nations and don't get many points. I suppose Singapore win more and therefore are ranked higher, i haven't seen Singapore play, are you any good? ;) However i'm sure NI wouldn't make a fool of themselves if they played in the Asian qualification zone.
My name is Shan, there are many words in the Chinese language that are pronounced Shan but mine means coral (part of it). :)

No we are not any good, I'm afraid. Even in the Southeast Asian context, we're considered behind countries like Thailand. Nonetheless we did manage to score against a full strength Manchester United team in a friendly match :eek:, it was nice seeing the local player whip the ball in past a flapping Barthez. :D

We used to participate in the Malaysia Cup... that may seem like a strange arrangement, cos it is a domestic cup of Malaysia's but Singapore took part in it even though we are a separate independent country. But it worked cos we are tiny ;). Just imagine Luxembourg taking part in the German Bundesliga as a team on its own... that is about the closest analogy I can provide. :) Singapore won the Cup in 1994 (I was in Italy at that time coincidentally, I called home to find out the results), and since then we've broken away and formed our own league, which was a mistake. We clearly do not have the critical mass to support a domestic league, though I'm not sure if that is a good enough reason... Denmark doesn't have a huge population and it's ranked 14. We have roughly the same population as Norway (nowhere near in land size though ;)). And it's a bit ridiculous since there is about zero feeling of rivalry between the districts that the clubs are based in, it's not like Liverpool VS Manchester... Singapore is so small, driving for 40 minutes will get you from one end to the other :cool:. I've been to a few matches between the local clubs, but to be honest the quality is nothing to shout about and the mistakes are terribly amateurish. :( I'm not too sure about recent developments, it's been a while since I've been home. :)

Football is extremely popular though (without a doubt the most popular sport), but it's more the English Premier League, though the cable TV companies have recently started to broadcast Serie A and La Liga matches on a regular basis.

By the way Nick, are you going to Portugal this June?? I'll be there from the 12th to the 17th. :)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Does anyone actually take the FIFA rankings seriously? In Brasil it has been regarded as a joke for years, the newspapers don't even talk about it anymore.

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Oh btw. Northern Ireland may very well have given the world George Best but still, they´re arguably the worst NT in Europe at the moment, no more than a month ago they scored their first goal in what I think´s more than a year:eek:; Singapore might be crap but I feel they´d have a good chance. ;)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Laudrup said:
Oh btw. Northern Ireland may very well have given the world George Best but still, they´re arguably the worst NT in Europe at the moment, no more than a month ago they scored their first goal in what I think´s more than a year:eek:; Singapore might be crap but I feel they´d have a good chance. ;)
Thank you for the vote of confidence. :proud:
Garrincha said:
Does anyone actually take the FIFA rankings seriously? In Brasil it has been regarded as a joke for years, the newspapers don't even talk about it anymore.
No, of course not, everybody knows Brazil shouldn't be Number One. :tongue::D

Just kidding. :angel:

Well, I'm guilty of using the most curent FIFA rankings for my Econometrics project, but thankfully my lecturer is an American who doesn't watch "soccer" and doesn't have a clue about the sport. ;)

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Garrincha said:
Europeans like stats...:eek:...of any kind I might add...:D

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Sweet little shitload of shit! Nepal are ahead of the British Virgin Islands, the Caicos Islands, the Philipines, São Tomé, Djibouti, Guinea Bissau, Netherlands Antilles, Papua New Guinea, Belize and TONGA!!! Which leaves just one more tiny south- east asian Island to conquer;)

:cool:

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
My name is Shan, there are many words in the Chinese language that are pronounced Shan but mine means coral (part of it). :)

No we are not any good, I'm afraid. Even in the Southeast Asian context, we're considered behind countries like Thailand. Nonetheless we did manage to score against a full strength Manchester United team in a friendly match :eek:, it was nice seeing the local player whip the ball in past a flapping Barthez. :D

We used to participate in the Malaysia Cup... that may seem like a strange arrangement, cos it is a domestic cup of Malaysia's but Singapore took part in it even though we are a separate independent country. But it worked cos we are tiny ;). Just imagine Luxembourg taking part in the German Bundesliga as a team on its own... that is about the closest analogy I can provide. :) Singapore won the Cup in 1994 (I was in Italy at that time coincidentally, I called home to find out the results), and since then we've broken away and formed our own league, which was a mistake. We clearly do not have the critical mass to support a domestic league, though I'm not sure if that is a good enough reason... Denmark doesn't have a huge population and it's ranked 14. We have roughly the same population as Norway (nowhere near in land size though ;)). And it's a bit ridiculous since there is about zero feeling of rivalry between the districts that the clubs are based in, it's not like Liverpool VS Manchester... Singapore is so small, driving for 40 minutes will get you from one end to the other :cool:. I've been to a few matches between the local clubs, but to be honest the quality is nothing to shout about and the mistakes are terribly amateurish. :( I'm not too sure about recent developments, it's been a while since I've been home. :)

Football is extremely popular though (without a doubt the most popular sport), but it's more the English Premier League, though the cable TV companies have recently started to broadcast Serie A and La Liga matches on a regular basis.

By the way Nick, are you going to Portugal this June?? I'll be there from the 12th to the 17th. :)

Shan! that's a nice name. It's typical Chinese ;) many Asians on XT have English first names, like Carson, Joe and Shanie for example. I don't know why but is that common in Singapore too?

I remember i checked the Singapore league on Championship Managrer, they had something like 8 teams :eek: A few foreigners too, but mostly from Uk or from OZ. The money and Interest is there( many watch European football there) let's hope that the domestic level will progress aswell :), Asian football in general is improving alot lately, and as long as people like the game im sure it will only improve.

I'll be in Portugal the 16th and a week forward if i'm not mistaken, I'll be there with my old friend "Cracker" and another friend. We'll be in Oporto to watch 2 games. One with Italy ;) Where will you be, Lisbon? If you're in Oporto too, i would gladly meet you. Would be alot of fun to see someone from Xt :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts