Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the italy england game i have finally warmed to zambrotta. i thought he had a great game. although a bianconero, i havent seen enough of zambrotta to convince me, so i just hated him since euro2000 but i tohught he was really good against england.

i was very pleased with the way that italy closed down the english, like the old m*lan of the early 90s. this is what has been lacking for italy, at club and national level, and heres hoping that the all italian UEFA cup final is a good building block for an all italian CL final next year! i want albertini back though!!

i dont know how fiore has dont at lazio, but judging by lazios performances, id rather stick with di biagio and albertini in the centre of midfield, coco and zambrotta on either side, totti ahead of them behind del piero and vieri. the usual backforce of nesta/cannavaro/maldini and buffon.

i think after the big transfers though, toldo has proved to be italys best keeper.

the one question i ask tohugh is, why is del vecchio rated so highly?!? i have never like him, as he is a poacher, like inzaghi and i prefer more skillfull attackers, which italy have! in scotlands case they dont have any stikers so a poacher is good, but italy should really field the best palyers.

although i pciked del peiro ahead of vinny montella for the starting 11, in the england game, i would have fielded montella as the first guy on my team sheet due to his recent form. they say 6 gol in 3 partite, but i say 7, that one wasnt an own goal! it was his! ;)

Forza Azzurri!!

siam pronti alla morte
l'italia chiamo!

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i agree with most mentioned. although there have been millions of these topics etc...i still post one just to make you feel okay...no replies yet ;)

the backline should be kept as is. i dont particuliary agree on that 3-4-1-2 formation. id prefer the 4-4-2 formation cuz i think thats the only way doni, totti and del piero can play.

as for midfielders, i agree on bringing zanetti, tomassi, di biagio and albertini. they are the ball winners.....i would bring fiore instead of say gutusso, who isnt needed when those others are there to win it. fiore is a very useful player who can on the left and be a play maker as well.

i would like to see this squad brought over:

buffon toldo abbiati
nesta cannavaro maldini coco materazzi panucci iuliano
tomassi doni zambrotta albertini zanetti di biagio fiore
vieri del piero totti montella di vaio

i think with that group of players, we able to play any formation we like and all those players are generally skillful and there is no real player there which people can say isn't good enough for the NT.

unlike del vecchio, guttusso, adani, di livio, inzaghi...who all get the crap taken out of them when chosen or mentioned for italy.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yea, but that would mean no vieri in a 442 if you got totti and del boy.

meant to say, i think iuliano shouldhave played in place of nesta against engerland.nesta hadbeen really low in confidence lately, but right enough, that might have had a worse effect after lazio considering dumping him. nesta is my favourite defender in serie A, so i hope Juve get him!!!

i really likeyour italy squad!! very close to what i would pick!!

ive not seen enough of doni. the england game was my first viewing. if TAZZ isreading, i really agree with his views on Di Biagio now, he is great!

i like Gattuso, but with the way di biagio, zanetti and tomassi are playing, he is of the same mould,so cant put one of them out. Albertini for me is just an italian legend. he stood out in euro2000 for the quality that he has. fiore i hope has matured into a better player, as he had a lot of pressure and expectations on him after the european championships.

i dont know if di vaio is worthy of a bench spot though. he is scoring really well, but you need to have an old head maybe on the bench. Baggio was the man for that before his injury, but id like to see Hubner tested in a friendly. or is shevchenko/trezeguet italian! heehee! :D id like trezegol playing for italy! wasnt he eligible for italy too? i think he was borin in italy.

materazzi was not too bad,hes been better in the league, i worry that he is the type of guy that would get sent off or give away a penalty, i dont think he is disciplined enough. thats probably why i fell out with zambrotta!!!

so overall, i wouldtake your squad, the only two places i doubted was doni and di vaio. but i doubt either would let us down, and i cant think of any players just now that deserve to be there more. its good to have a little experimentation in your side, doni could be that player, di vaio, could either be the suprise package, of left if we get the likes of BAGGIO!!!! i wish he was going!!

p.s. cheers for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts