Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

A Costa Rican draw/win is the result that will eliminate the English here. It seems unlikey but then again, that's what everyone though before the Uruguay-Costa Rica match which has been the shock result of the tournament so far.

My prediction: Italy 2-0 Costa Rica

·
Administrator
30,434 Posts
:D Italy loves to complicate those games that seems "we already won", but Costa Rica victory probally put Italians weary of doing this. But it can be a 2 x 1 to keep the 3 goals rule.

·
Registered
226 Posts
:D Italy loves to complicate those games that seems "we already won"
Yes, we historically have more troubles with "easy matches" (North Korea 66, Israel 70, Haiti 74, Perù-Camerun 82, Bulgaria-South Korea 86, Ireland-Norway 94, USA 2006, Paraguay-New Zealand-Slovakia 2010) than with problematic ones (Germany 1970, Argentina 1978, Argentina-Brasil 1982, France 1998 played away and lost only on penalties, Germany 2006) ...

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
Probable Lineups

Italy (“4-1-4-1”):

Buffon

Abate -- Bonucci - Chiellini - Darmian
De Rossi
T Motta --- Pirlo -----
------------------Marchisio
Candreva -----------------------
Balotelli​

- Sirigu may start instead of Buffon if Buffon isn’t deemed 100% fit
- Barzagli may start ahead of Bonucci if the former recovers from a tendon problem (he really shouldn’t be rushed)
- T Motta may play the deep-anchor role and De Rossi in T Motta’s CM position instead

Costa Rica (5-2-3/5-4-1):

Campbell
Bolanos ------------------- Ruiz
Tejeda -- Borges

Diaz --- Umana -- Gonzalez - Duarte - Gamboa

Navas

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
Motivation is the most important factor for Italy. Traditionally, Italy of course is often complacent against this kind of opponents. But I think they’ll be at least semi-motivated today. Countering the heat and humidity by keeping possession will be very important too. Perhaps even more important than in the game against England because, unlike the English, the Costa Ricans are used to this sort of muggy weather and have good stamina.

Costa Rica’s other strengths are discipline, commitment, physicality, and an able front trio of which Campbell is the biggest threat. Most XT Azzurri fans wanted an extra attacker for this game, but it looks like Prandelli wants to make improvements to and refine his main tactic and lineup...which is OK too. Balotelli would need more support from the midfielders though, and the mids and FBs can’t get caught during transition. But as long as complacency isn’t an issue and the heat and humidity are countered well, this should be a win for Italy.

A two-goal win would be perfect should GD come into play later, but I think 2-1 is more likely. Hopefully, it won’t be a comedy of errors from Bonucci today.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I hope we win also so we can help to keep England in this world cup :)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
i suspect a 2nd match syndrome for Italy. this could be a draw.

not that i disagree with that result because it'll send England packing :p

·
Registered
69,801 Posts
I hope we win also so we can help to keep England in this world cup :)
This is very gay.

not that i disagree with that result because it'll send England packing :p
:thumbsup:

come on italy!!!
Yeah, let's hope the Brazilians support Italy in this one. I'm sure they'll need it against the giant Costa Rica.
Brazilians are the worst neutral fans ever lol

With Buffon as keeper I see some chance for Costa Rica. He's the Italian Casillas.

·
Registered
19,837 Posts
Italia : Buffon - Abate, Barzagli, Chiellini, Darmian - Candreva, Pirlo, De Rossi, Thiago Motta, Marchisio - Balotelli

Costa Rica : Navas - Gamboa, Duarte, Gonzalez, Umana, Diaz - Ruiz, Borges, Tejeda, Bolanos - Campbell

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Costa Rica is a very technical side. Italy have trouble so far in controlling the game. I can see them winning this game or at worse drawing. They will definetly win over england though.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Costa Rica robbed of a clear penalty. It's insane how so many soft and non-existent penalties have been called in this world cup, but when it's Costa Rica against Italy... The ref couldn't have made it more obvious if he tried. He's playing a scripted game in which so far Costa Rica has managed to ruin his plans.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts