-----PIOLA---------MEAZZA

------------ANTOGNON

GIANNINI----------------MENTI

------------CAPELLO

CABRINI--BURGNICH--NESTA--GENTILE

--------------Buffon

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
There are some tactical horrors in these teams (Giannini on the left flank for example...) but I understand that it is not easy to build a team with the best players.
It's a pity to see Benetti and Tardelli out of these teams.

In the first team I leave out "Marisa" and replace her with tough Romeo. Now the team is almost unbeatable.

#4 ·
You left Mazzola out! 22 goals in 70 games. How many legends could compare to that? Not just the number of goals or appearances but the scoring rate as well. He HAS to be there.

#9 ·
There kinds of team is always hard, especially with Italy having so many great players. My older family members might know few legends which could be in there but I can name players after 80's. Tardelli, Albertini, Rossi, etc. Should be in but then again who would you leave out. Always dificult.

#10 ·
Mago said:
I would replace Buffon by Pagliuca and find a spot for Albertini.
Leave out BUFFON?!? Why in earth would you want to do that? He's one of the best goalkeepers in the world ever...

Albertini was never anything special. I can't believe you mention him in this context.

#11 ·
And then I realize that several others also mention Albertini... Wow! I'm shocked! :eek:

#19 ·
peninsula said:
I wouldn't too but Zambrotta is one of the most complete player I've seen for a long time. Just need to find similar type of player on the RB for Italy and we are sorted ;).
I agree but Benarrivo was very complete too and very versityle. He could plays as RB/LB wingback, in the center and such ;). Not to take any credit from Zambrotta who I rate very very high but I just think Benarrivo is the better one :) biased? perhaps ;)

#20 ·
Zambrotta has had much more success at club and country than Benarrivo has. He can also play at LB or RB or in midfield also. Not to take anything away from Benarrivo, he was a very good player but let's be realistic Zambro is the best wingback in the world. A much higher status than Benarrivo has ever achived.

#22 ·
Jimmy C said:
Zambrotta has had much more success at club and country than Benarrivo has. He can also play at LB or RB or in midfield also. Not to take anything away from Benarrivo, he was a very good player but let's be realistic Zambro is the best wingback in the world. A much higher status than Benarrivo has ever achived.
Well duh, he plays for Juve. So what if he never won anything of high value. He did participate in WC 94 though.

The ONLY reason Benarrivo got in the shadow is because of the grande Maldini. If Maldini never were a Leftback Benarrivo would be very much recognized by any. Benarrivo was one of the lethal players in our 5-3-2 formation with Nevio Scala. He was very attackingminded and incredible at the back :stuckup: . Like I said, it's a pity Benarrivo played under the same era as Maldini. Zambrotta would fall into Maldinis shadow too back then, right now the italy has lack of defenders and it's "easy" for Zambrotta to grab the spot as the best LB (not trying to take anything from him). IMO Benarrivo could read the game better then Zambrotta and like I said he could play in center too :stuckup:

#23 ·
I think Zambrotta is a bit more classy, as Pirri said. No doubt Benarrivo was quality but Zambrotta is Italys most consistent player these days.

#25 ·
Chiellini who is a class LB. Parisi who also is class but lack of very good form. Moretti solid. Favalli and Pancaro the old guns. No they are not Maldini, but this is not the point of Italy Best XI. Rather it is a debate on whether Zambrotta or Benarrivo is a better player for club and country. You dont need Maldini to decide this vote.

In any case i would have selected Facchetti and Cabrini's as the LB and Gentile and Bellugi or Bergomi at RB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.