Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering about something. Italian youth is looking good in most ways, but we enver seem to get real good until the Under 21 level.

The Under 17 European Championships are currently being held, but there is no Italian team. Also I believe the Under 19 team has not qualified for their tournament. At least I have never seen these teams in their respective tournaments for a couple of years now.

Of course then we get to Under 21 level, where Italy are the kings, winning 4 of the 5 Euro Champs and gunning for a 5th in a couple of weeks :cool: But why are we never at the Under 20 World Youth Cup? At least I don't think we have been the past couple of times. Surely the bulk of that supreme Under 21 team would be playing in that Under 20 squad or do we even have an Under 20 squad?

Just a few intereting notes.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I think Italians only focus on U-21 team.

Italian Under 21 coach Claudio Gentile has left Roma forward Antonio Cassano out of his squad for the upcoming European Under 21 finals.
Gentile's squad is:

Federico Agliardi (Brescia), Gianpaolo Bellini (Atalanta), Manuele Blasi (Perugia), Emiliano Bonazzoli (Parma), Daniele Bonera (Brescia), Matteo Brighi (Bologna), Paolo Cannavaro (Verona), Andrea Caracciolo (Brescia), Paolo Castellini (Torino), Dario Dainelli (Verona), Massimo Donati (Milan), Matteo Ferrari (Parma), Fabio Gatti (Perugia), Alberto Gilardino (Verona), Roberto Guana (Brescia), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Udinese), Stefano Lucchini (Ternana), Massimo Maccarone (Empoli), Marco Marchionni (Parma), Cesare Natali (Atalanta), Ivan Pellizzoli (Roma), Giampiero Pinzi (Udinese), Andrea Pirlo (Milan), Generoso Rossi (Venezia).

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Cassano dropped from Euro squad Thursday 2 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio Cassano will not take part in the Under-21 European Championships after he wasn’t named in the 24-man squad.

Coach Claudio Gentile decided to not select the talented Roma youngster for the Swiss tournament that takes place between May 16 and 28.

The Italy boss and Cassano have had an unsteady relationship in the last 18 months in which the former Bari player had been dropped on numerous occasions.

However, his return for the February friendly against America had increased belief that he would be chosen for this summer’s event.

One player that is included is Brescia defender Daniele Bonera, thus excluding the possibility that he would be included in Giovanni Trapattoni’s World Cup plans.

Juventus midfielder Enzo Maresca misses the tournament through injury while there are surprise calls for Brescia duo Andrea Caracciolo and Roberto Guana, plus Atalanta’s Cesare Natali.

The 24-man squad will report to Rome’s Sportilla training centre on Monday morning as Gentile prepares his side in their bid to defend their Euro crown.

The Azzurrini have been drawn in Group A along with Portugal, England and Switzerland.

Full squad

Goalkeepers: Federico Agliardi (Brescia), Ivan Pelizzoli (Roma), Generoso Rossi (Venezia).

Defenders: Gianpaolo Bellini (Atalanta), Daniele Bonera (Brescia), Paolo Cannavaro (Verona), Paolo Castellini (Torino), Dario Dainelli (Verona), Matteo Ferrari (Parma), Stefano Lucchini (Ternana).

Midfielders: Manuele Blasi (Perugia), Matteo Brighi (Bologna), Fabio Gatti (Perugia), Massimo Donati (Milan), Roberto Guana (Brescia), Marco Marchionni (Parma), Cesare Natali (Atalanta), Giampiero Pinzi (Udinese).

Forwards: Emiliano Bonazzoli (Parma), Andrea Caracciolo (Brescia), Alberto Gilardino (Verona), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Udinese), Massimo Maccarone (Empoli), Andrea Pirlo (Milan).

channel4

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I was just reading on C4, what Carson just posted, and a shame not see Cassano go :( He is my 2nd fave player and will be great!
Overall the team looks very good with some good future talent.
Some of the players who I feel could break through to the senior side within the next 4/5 years are:
~ Bonera
~ Brighi
~ Maccarone
~ Marchionni
~ Cassano

5 players who I feel will be major future players for the Azzurri. Of course there are many in others from that list but these 5 are the 5 I think will lead Italy in around 5 years time.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Yeh I don't know why that is, the Italian players seem to do better once they are around 20, even later for soem. I don't see it as a big deal though.
Is Maradona jr still in our U-17 team?

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
there is a 14 year old rated better then maradona jr..his name is Vincenzo Sarno...plays for the roma under 18's and is only 14..Nicola mancino of napoli is ana amazing talent too...also of course lodi from empoli

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
Does anyone know why Gentile, dislkies Cassano

I would add pirlo to the list of player who will lead the nazionale in 5 years

Lav

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If anyone wanna play fantasy football with U21 teams..then click here.

Ciao,
Tommi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts